Home

Something needs to be done about surprise onside kicks

This is a discussion on Something needs to be done about surprise onside kicks within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Something needs to be done about surprise onside kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
I guess you're all talking about online play, but is there a way to help recover a surprise onside kick against the CPU? Because I've tried it several times and a ton of times in practice, I have maybe recovered 2 out of 20 which is even worse than my ratio for regular onside kicks, which kind of defeats the point...
This brings up an interesting point that crossed my mind when the addition of surprise onside kicks where first announced. Why didn't they add a direct counter like "surprise onside kick return", that had the return team prepared for a surprise onside kick but not prepared to return a kick or setup return blocking?

For example, selecting "surprise onside kick return" would mean a surprise onside kick wouldn't be effective but kicking it downfield would most likely result in poor starting field position or a touchback, depending how deep the kick.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

They should just figure out what the percentage of recovery is and just have two outcomes, recovered or not recovered. Whatever percentage of balls are recovered in real life is the percentage the recovered animation happens. Similar to them using the chains to measure for a first down. Would take away the ability to actually PLAY the surprise onside kick, but it would make it more realistic.

I've always thought they should do that with FG's and XP's as well, set a percentage of the time that a kick is blocked automatically. Oh well, will probably never happen.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajimithing
They should just figure out what the percentage of recovery is and just have two outcomes, recovered or not recovered. Whatever percentage of balls are recovered in real life is the percentage the recovered animation happens. Similar to them using the chains to measure for a first down.
Actually that's exactly what does NOT happen when the chains come in. The chains are only brought in randomly when there's less than about a yard to go, but there's no randomness involved in the result, they always seem to get the spot right, I'm about 90% right predicting the result when the chains come in so it's definitely not just a random chance.

After an incredible 2012 season ends with a Super Bowl win, Hope Turner and her Vikings are trying to prove that their performance was more than just a one-shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Rookie

Aolian_Am's Arena

OVR: 2

i just wanted to add that i took a surprise onside kick to the 2 yd line, 3 broken tackles
Old 12-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Now why couldn't you have offered this type help in the first place TNT, instead of the "kneejerk response" in your previous post? lol

I personally think you stereotype these kind of threads and there supporters as "victims" before always being clear about what they are talking about.

OP, I feel what you are saying about the view and I personally want a more field level view for all gameplay. No need for the camera to ever "swing" if the gameplay view was specific to the User controlled player.

Until something like that is added, what TNT and kiz5 stated, are good things to try, imo.
LOL... That 'knee jerk' is just tough love. The thrust of my message is "IMPROVE" but you have to find something that needs work in order to do get better. We tend to be complacent until we get the stuffings kicked out of us - then it's fight or flight.

I want all Madden players to succeed, but sometimes you have to smack the softness out of them first. LOSE THE PANTIES AND FIGHT. I'm the one guy in a thousand that would prefer to have the drill sergeant as a therapist (favorite insurance commercial ever).

When I see guys say things like "impossible," "can't do anything," or limit themselves to what they have already thought of - it makes me assume they are playing the "victim" and looking for the sympathy. I have no sympathy for victims of football 'crime' when they fail to arm themselves against their adversaries.

I typically throw in something useful after ruffling the feathers.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »