Home

Would Disabling "Skipping" In Madden Improve Presentation and Immersion?

This is a discussion on Would Disabling "Skipping" In Madden Improve Presentation and Immersion? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Rookie

BlackJack_Williams's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Would Disabling "Skipping" In Madden Improve Presentation and Immersion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I feel what you two are getting at but Madden does not currently have what I am suggesting. I am not referring to just seating there "hypnotized" by cut scenes. I am talking about having a complete game unfold around me while I am doing my part. To me Madden suffers from too many shortcuts in various areas, including the way games generally playout.

For example, there is currently no way the "too many players on the field" penalty could be added to Madden because players don't actually come on/off the field. They just automatically appear in place after the plays are chosen. Another is, when a player gets hurt, the moment we access the playcall menu, the playclock starts. No realistic space in between to make adjustments while they assist the injured. Yet another is the no huddle where everyone on offense goes into fast-forward like some kind of video tape with minimal representation of the ball being spotted, offensive players getting off the ground/in-bounds and the execution differential between a gameplanned no-huddle versus an on-field QB decision. That's a few things off the top of my head that diminish immersion for me and there are more.

Also, I want to point out that I am not implying anyone be "forced" to watch anything, hence my suggestion for it to be an option.
Ah yes, I wasn't sure if this is what you meant but I understand now. I COMPLETELY agree. Madden loses that real-time affect due to everything, not just cut scenes, being skip able.
Playing right now: Rocket League
Games Looking forward to: Moving to PS4 lol
Old 12-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Would Disabling "Skipping" In Madden Improve Presentation and Immersion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I think this is solved by:

-Not having the play call screen pop up while the replay is showing, unless the user presses X (or the X360 equiv)

-When there is no replay, have some post play commentary/other commentary for about 5-10 seconds so players have a(nother) reason to just let the players mill around and whatnot.

-"Freeze" the game and play clock while it's playing out the replay (like it does now unless it pops up the play call screen during for whatever reason).

-Add commentary and analysis of the play while the replay is up (and show multiple angles)

-User doesn't press the X (or the X360 equiv) button.

I do NOT like non-skippable stuff. I lost a game, literally, because you can't skip the Verizon red zone overlay if it displays fully. No No No. Stuff like that should not happen unless it's going to freeze the clocks while it is up. The QB Comparison is another that acts that way.

Meanwhile, you can skip past just about all the other overlays, even accidentally (i.e. I didn't know it would show one as 90% of time it doesn't, and then one flashes up and I skip it unintentionally).

I think if I knew there was a high chance of there being an overlay or replay (and the game displayed it ASAP, not lagged), then I would definitely lay off the X button because I want to see this stuff more often.

But I disagree with unskippable stuff. I should be able to call a timeout during the Verizon Red Zone or QB Comparison showing up. The on-the-field game, and control thereof, still has to take precedence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp2081
Haha, that happens to me too and I hate it. EA finally puts in more stat overlays, like WR reception info, and I accidentally skip it because I'm not sure when it will flash up or not, and pressing virtually any button will make you skip it.
This could be avoided if in "real time" it wasn't "skipped" but minimized instead and the User has the option to "enlarge" it again.

I am not suggesting cut scenes and replays dominate the screen and there is nothing a User can do. Think about it as having a network broadcasting the game you are playing, with you being able to view and hide the broadcast, presnap, with a button press.

So theoretically, you could have a big play on the field, "minimize"/hide the broadcast, choose another play and then either go back to field view or "enlarge"/watch the broadcast again while players take the field.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »