Home

Shouldn't I have been able to challenge this catch? (pic inside)

This is a discussion on Shouldn't I have been able to challenge this catch? (pic inside) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Shouldn't I have been able to challenge this catch? (pic inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkpkp
Are you sure?

I have watched replays on fumbles and touchdowns and stuff, and then went ahead and challenged it. Just last night in a game my RB was ruled 4th and inches, I watched the replay and felt he did cross the 1st down line. I challenged and won.

Do you mean you cant watch replays in certain situations and then challenge? Because Im 99% sure I have challenged several times after watching replays.

I mean in real life there are guys up in the booth watching re-plays and telling the coach to throw his red flag... thats the same as watching the replay and then challenging in Madden.
I know that was present in older Maddens (watching the play in Instant Replay prevented you from being able to subsequently challenge it) but I was pleasantly surprised to see that so far I have not encountered such prevention in M12.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp2081
I know that was present in older Maddens (watching the play in Instant Replay prevented you from being able to subsequently challenge it) but I was pleasantly surprised to see that so far I have not encountered such prevention in M12.
Now that I think about it some more, I think I remember this as well. Way back.. maybe in like Madden '07 or '08 or something.

I concur. Thankfully this is not so in M12. Because I almost always watch the replay several times before I challenge. And I dont remember a time when the challenge option suddenly disappeared.

(in the case of this post, the option was never there to begin with.)
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I loved that they changed that. In the NFL they look at replays to determine if they wanted to challenge play, and it only makes sense that we have the same option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I loved that they changed that. In the NFL they look at replays to determine if they wanted to challenge play, and it only makes sense that we have the same option.
Exactly. Although to be fair, when we as the User are on defense, we (in the role of the upstairs booth) can watch the replay for a virtually unlimited amount of time, whereas of course in the NFL the upstairs booth has little time to watch the replay (from multiple angles) and make the determination to tell its coach to challenge, before the other team hurries to snap the next play and closes that window of opportunity.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Exactly. Although to be fair, when we as the User are on defense, we (in the role of the upstairs booth) can watch the replay for a virtually unlimited amount of time, whereas of course in the NFL the upstairs booth has little time to watch the replay (from multiple angles) and make the determination to tell its coach to challenge, before the other team hurries to snap the next play and closes that window of opportunity.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe like a 15 second time limit would be a cool realism thing to add, if you want to challenge the play. Before you enter the replay screen you have to select whether you want to challenge the play or not. If you select that you want to challenge the play, then you receive 15 seconds. If you choose not to challenge the play, then you're not allowed to challenge after entering the replay screen.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skabatula
I believe the rule is that if a player steps out of bounds, they cannot be the first one to make contact with the football. But if the pass was tipped or deflected, the receiver would be able to catch the ball.

That being said, in the NFL it could be challenged and the call would have been overturned. But unfortunately in Madden, there are limitations to what can and can't be challenged. I guess EA didn't see enough of this type of play to add it to the list of challenge'able plays.
I became aware that receivers in Madden '08 do not become ineligible after stepping out of bounds. Been wishing EA would get that rule right ever since.

It's still not reflected...

Later
Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

I hate the madden doesn't have all the nfl rules and penalties in the game. Even the other 2k game was much better at that. It ticks me off that years later and they still don't have everything in the game yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Well I don't know if this still exists in the NFL rules, but if you take three steps following the infraction your considered to have been reestablished in the field of play.

Not 100% sure about that rule still standing. The No Fun League has been changing rules on a daily basis lately.

But in general if your question is if you should be able to challenge it? Yes.

I don't know why they don't take 2K's system which gave you a list of infractions so you could specify what you thought happened, rather than hope the challenge aligns with what you want to challenge.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »