Home

Madden NFL 12: Winning on Draft Day

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12: Winning on Draft Day within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 12: Winning on Draft Day

While drafting for a NFL is a bit more intense in the real world, it can be just as stressful in Madden 12 thanks to a few upgrades that make draft day more adventurous than in past versions of the game. And while far from perfect, Madden does simulate the draft process better than ever; It’ll test you. The question is, will you become a Bill Polian, or a Matt Millen?

Here are some tips on how you can win on draft day in Madden 12.

Read More - Madden NFL 12: Winning on Draft Day
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 12: Winning on Draft Day

For my first draft in my Dolphins chise I was QB hungry. I also was very interested in upgrading my FS position as well as finding a solid RT and RG.

I made sure I scouted just about every player at these respective positions that fit my mold or vision. I also make sure to scout late round RB's and WR's. As well a OLB's.

But the bottom line is by investing in scouting (especially mid round guys) I was ableto draft a franchise QB in round 4. It was very satisfying and rewarding. I was able to scout a few busts in the early round and then grab my guy in the 4th. I won't mention his name as I don't want to spoil it for others.

I am quite pleased with the scouting feature in Madden 12. Of course I also keep my trusy notebook to notate ratings, and rank my guys and create my own draft board.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I won't mention his name as I don't want to spoil it for others.
No need to worry, names are assigned completely at random this year so even if someone else gets the same draft class, the player will have a different name. You can still identify the player by size and school if you know what you're looking for, but it's not like in earlier years where you immediately knew if one of the star rookies came around.

After an incredible 2012 season ends with a Super Bowl win, Hope Turner and her Vikings are trying to prove that their performance was more than just a one-shot.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Re: Importance of individual workouts -

Even if you get them all right, you're still grasping at straws if those five guys get picked up. You have so many holes in your information - I mean, complete "I don't even know how fast this kid can run" holes that it's a little crazy.

It would work a lot better if all the kids had estimates (X?) in all ratings that were in a wide range of randomness based on your scouting agency. Then the "stages" help you get more solid info - until workouts give up the perfect stats on 5. By then, you could have a core group of kids on your board that you have a decent idea of, but not sure fire. But you won't be looking a WR and all you know is he kinda can catch and he is terrible at throwing.

But in the existing system, what I try to do is pick a couple positions of focus and scout a lot of lower round players. That way, I'll have people on my board all throughout. I can "reach" for a 3rd-4th rounder early and still have some kids for the later rounds also. For positions I feel like I want to take a first on, I'll scout the daylights out of those for the 1st/2nd round talents, and the rest, 3rd and lower. My workouts all go to guys I would be willing to take with my first round pick and have projected 1st or 2nd round status to make sure I'm not taking a bust.

Last edited by KBLover; 12-12-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Re: Importance of individual workouts -

Even if you get them all right, you're still grasping at straws if those five guys get picked up. You have so many holes in your information - I mean, complete "I don't even know how fast this kid can run" holes that it's a little crazy.

It would work a lot better if all the kids had estimates (X?) in all ratings that were in a wide range of randomness based on your scouting agency. Then the "stages" help you get more solid info - until workouts give up the perfect stats on 5. By then, you could have a core group of kids on your board that you have a decent idea of, but not sure fire. But you won't be looking a WR and all you know is he kinda can catch and he is terrible at throwing.

But in the existing system, what I try to do is pick a couple positions of focus and scout a lot of lower round players. That way, I'll have people on my board all throughout. I can "reach" for a 3rd-4th rounder early and still have some kids for the later rounds also. For positions I feel like I want to take a first on, I'll scout the daylights out of those for the 1st/2nd round talents, and the rest, 3rd and lower. My workouts all go to guys I would be willing to take with my first round pick and have projected 1st or 2nd round status to make sure I'm not taking a bust.
I miss the "Higher than 80 throwing power" tidbits from past games. Scouting is nice, but it only pays to scout offensive linemen during the regular season. Unless I really want a player, I just stockpile 3rd and 4th round picks and build a solid team out of those picks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertandHam
Scouting is nice, but it only pays to scout offensive linemen during the regular season.
I have to disagree with this. For HBs, you get useful info like SFA, Juke, ElU, Hit power for LBs, and PA for QBs. These reveals won't guarantee you an A player but I use this info to winnow out players so I don't do combine/pro day scouting at random.

Last edited by raguel; 12-13-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
So I'm the Jaguars... I drafted Andrew Luck, Justin Blackmon, Trent Richardson, Quenton Coples and Alshon Jeffrey...

Ncaa to madden logic is so ********

Sent from My Touch Slide 4G
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguel
I have to disagree with this. For HBs, you get useful info like SFA, Juke, ElU, Hit power for LBs, and PA for QBs. These reveals won't guarantee you an A player but I use this info to winnow out players so I don't do combine/pro day scouting at random.
True. I guess it's just my way of thinking draft wise. I roll with the Steelers, so offensive line is always my first concern. I wait to scout QB's until in the offseason where Accuracy and THP is revealed. Usually a HB with three +'s is a good player. The key people seem to forget is that when it comes to something like the draft, sure the highest rated player is nice, but you want someone who can fit your scheme.

WR's are the hardest position to scout for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »