Home

Tips for a beginner: Controlling the QB?

This is a discussion on Tips for a beginner: Controlling the QB? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Rookie

DarkNowitzki78's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Tips for a beginner: Controlling the QB?

Are these footstepps the automatically ones made after the snap when the QB starts his movement, or do you manual drop back the 3,5 or 7 steps after the QB finishes his move after the snap?

ps: sorry for my bad english
Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody19
Hi guys,
When playing Madden, I never do anything else with my QB than throw the ball - i.e. I don't move around with him after the snap or scramble with the ball.
The problem is that I have to concentrate so much on where my receivers are and if they are covered or not that I don't have the time to keep an eye on my QB and if he's in danger of getting sacked.
I know that some QBs like P. Manning nearly always throw out of the pocket without moving around a lot, but as I'm using Jake Locker I would also like to make use of his running skills.
Does anybody have any advice for me on how to improve my QB play? Thanks!
I don't look at the rush for the first 2-3 seconds after the snap. If my line can't hold that long, I'm screwed anyway. So at this time, I'm looking for openings in the coverage and anticipating where the routes are going to be.

If I haven't made my throw by then, I glance at the line to see if the pocket is weakening and where. I'll then decide if I want to scramble (and where). If I'm looking for yards - I'll tend to try to get through the middle of the pocket. If I want to throw it away, or think I'll have to, I'll get outside the tackle box. If I don't want to scramble, I may roll a bit to some open ground (especially if I have a route breaking that way - I'll roll and wait for the WR to meet me and hit him with the pass).

That said, you won't always be able to get outside the tackle box. So I learn how to throw it away, per se, to a WR. Either way over throw someone on a corner or fly route, or throw the ball into the ground (pull back hard and hold it back and fire the ball - learned this...by accident...trying to lead a WR back to me on a curl - Freeman threw it like 4 yds into the ground LOL - I could picture Mike Williams going "Really, Josh?" LOL)

Another thing is in the huddle - give yourself a check down. Yeah, you can hot route, but I think if you're just getting started using the QB, it's best to pick a play with an easy-to-complete check down.

Don't be too quick there either, especially if you've hit a few. The defense may well start looking short and baiting you into throws. Always scan the field and make your read. Don't pre-determine your throw, as they say. I've been there, and still fall into that trap sometimes and usually it burns me.

Sometimes I "give ground" even when not setting up the screen. If I see someone is going to be open, but needs a little more time (say to cross the face of a zone LB, or make his cut and break into open field - especially for a non-receiving HB like Blount who runs routes slower) I'll fade back some (not a full run back, just drop back and to the side of the route breaking and buy the receiver some more time. At the least, I'll get hit as I throw and make it an incomplete instead of a 5-7 yds loss.

Last edited by KBLover; 12-13-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNowitzki78
Are these footstepps the automatically ones made after the snap when the QB starts his movement, or do you manual drop back the 3,5 or 7 steps after the QB finishes his move after the snap?

Depends on the play, IME. For example, if it's I-Form Slants, it's probably going to be an auto-3 step drop. Now if the slants aren't there, you'll probably have to drop back yourself to 5 or 7 to give the WR time to get open.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Rookie

DarkNowitzki78's Arena

OVR: 0

Thx KBlover! Im a long time Madden Player but never played much online or much hours cause of the work and family. But now i want to improve my game cause i feel that im stuck in my playstyle and see no progress. Always thought when people drop way back manual with the QB is a kind of cheese to extend the routes. At the same time i was wondering, how the long routes should really work, when the QB makes his automatically generated steps and i have the same amount of time for a slant or a vertical route, but as i said, im a noob
Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I don't look at the rush for the first 2-3 seconds after the snap. If my line can't hold that long, I'm screwed anyway. So at this time, I'm looking for openings in the coverage and anticipating where the routes are going to be.
I always wondered how other people handled this. I'm actually the exact opposite. The very first thing I do after snapping the ball is to see what their pass rush looks like. If there is a blitz, knowing where it comes from is important...throwing "into the blitz" is usually my best quick option if you don't have enough blockers. Looking for my TE, slot receiver, or RB out of the backfield...whoever is in the vacated area.

Also, I tend to fade away from the blitz and try to position myself into whatever pocket forms...if the blitz gets picked up, it's pretty easy to find the right matchup downfield. If the pocket crumbles, I throw it away...or if I have a quick QB I might try to take off...up the middle is the only way to really pick up any yards unless you're using a super fast QB.

If I only see a 3-4 man rush, then I know I should have time and start looking for the matchup I want. With that many in coverage, the windows are much tighter...so finding the 1-on-1 matchup is what I usually want. I'm also able to maneuver around the pocket to make sure the one guy that gets through doesn't get to me.

I think the biggest mistake a new player can make is to move backwards with their QB. When I finally broke that habit and started stepping up into the pocket, and positioning myself properly, I found passing to be much easier.

The most important thing I think is the pre-snap read. Reading the D and adjusting with hot routes or keeping extra blockers, or just checking out of the pass into a run...there's very few times where I don't make any adjustments pre-snap.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoleDude
I always wondered how other people handled this. I'm actually the exact opposite. The very first thing I do after snapping the ball is to see what their pass rush looks like. If there is a blitz, knowing where it comes from is important...throwing "into the blitz" is usually my best quick option if you don't have enough blockers. Looking for my TE, slot receiver, or RB out of the backfield...whoever is in the vacated area.
That's usually why I look downfield - I can see a LB start and I know that I can hit a route there.

Though, if I expect blitz, I "counter" that in the huddle - with a short pass somewhere so I can get the ball out. That way, I won't even need the full 2-3 seconds - I see the right LB move - I hit it, if not, I "throw it away" (i.e. not the R3 but intentionally miss badly with the ball).
Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #15
Rookie

Woody19's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Try it simultaneously as you hit the pass button... The practice will help you figure out when to hit the buttons & stick so the ball goes where you want.

Later
Thanks for your advice - I followed your instructions and almost instantly felt improvement: I played three games yesterday evening and my stats weren't bad: 9 TDs, 2 INT Although my completion percentage still is pretty lousy at 50.1% ...
I will try and get more comfortable at directing my receivers, and then maybe try and start moving around my QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #16
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody19
Thanks for your advice - I followed your instructions and almost instantly felt improvement: I played three games yesterday evening and my stats weren't bad: 9 TDs, 2 INT Although my completion percentage still is pretty lousy at 50.1% ...
I will try and get more comfortable at directing my receivers, and then maybe try and start moving around my QB.
It's best to start out with slants and hitches to keep a good comp%.

DONT throw out routes across your body unless he's wide open. That was my problem starting out. Don't throw streaks unless the receiver is inf ront of the CB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »