Home

Great Article on ratings in sports games

This is a discussion on Great Article on ratings in sports games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Great Article on ratings in sports games

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy9386
Why is it that people get so butt hurt when other people compain about Madden? Like they work there or something. People seem to forget that EA is supposed to be accommodating us not the other way around.
Not hurt, per se... More wondering why people with such a low opinion of the game seem to be so eager to rail against it. If you don't like Madden, don't play Madden. EA accomodates fan wishes... Maybe they are trying to be TOO ACCOMODATING to the least common denominator.

I remember when the defensive play diagrams looked like they were diagrammed on a chalkboard. But EA accommodated the fan how is least knowledgable about play design with color coded defenses in Madden '05.

I remember when the defenses had multiple nuances. The 4-3 Sting Left on Madden '03 could be shifted into 3-5 other defenses simply using the Flip Play and the LB shift function. That ability disappeared in Madden '04 because fans didn't understand what their adjustments were doing.

I remember when you had full roster control. That was removed because people didn't manage their rosters based on what their players could do well, but rather what they were asked to do in real life.

But that's not what the low level Madden players wanted... They wanted ease. So EA accommodated them and left the die-hard FULL TIME Madden gamer to make the adjustments (because we can, will, and do).

Every year EA is tasked with how to get people who like the NFL and play video games to buy Madden. The answer, make the game as easy as possible by watering down the nuances.

Obviously, that approach has not worked... Unfortunately, hardcore FULL TIME Madden players are in the minority so we are forced to deal with the dilution of the series for people that don't play longer than a few months anyway.

It's nerve racking being stuck with something in May, June, and July that were added/removed from the game to appease the least interested consumers when they aren't playing beyond November.

Later
Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm a hardcore Madden guy...will always buy the newest and play, no matter what really...

However, I give this guy some kudos. The ratings system is knee-jerk and sometimes slanted towards teams that get a lot of press, or players that make headlines...

Now that they at least have roster updates, you aren't stuck with the pre-season prediction and things can get updated back to the more real in-season look. It's a little better.

The biggest most important change happened this year, though. The consistency rating, to me, is HUGE, and needs to be bigger. Players with low consistency ratings should have +10/-10 swings on their position-specific skills (i.e. QB accuracy, RB awareness or vision, WR catching, route running, or release, etc.) so you are always wondering what kind of player you might get in any game. High consistency players are the opposite...those are the guys that play at a certain level, week-in and week-out. Coaches should impact consistency, and in some cases, boost certain ratings across the board for a team. This is the start of a new dynamic way of rating players and EA needs to push it further next year. They need to truly make the game alive...
Old 12-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Not hurt, per se... More wondering why people with such a low opinion of the game seem to be so eager to rail against it. If you don't like Madden, don't play Madden. EA accomodates fan wishes... Maybe they are trying to be TOO ACCOMODATING to the least common denominator.

I remember when the defensive play diagrams looked like they were diagrammed on a chalkboard. But EA accommodated the fan how is least knowledgable about play design with color coded defenses in Madden '05.

I remember when the defenses had multiple nuances. The 4-3 Sting Left on Madden '03 could be shifted into 3-5 other defenses simply using the Flip Play and the LB shift function. That ability disappeared in Madden '04 because fans didn't understand what their adjustments were doing.

I remember when you had full roster control. That was removed because people didn't manage their rosters based on what their players could do well, but rather what they were asked to do in real life.

But that's not what the low level Madden players wanted... They wanted ease. So EA accommodated them and left the die-hard FULL TIME Madden gamer to make the adjustments (because we can, will, and do).

Every year EA is tasked with how to get people who like the NFL and play video games to buy Madden. The answer, make the game as easy as possible by watering down the nuances.

Obviously, that approach has not worked... Unfortunately, hardcore FULL TIME Madden players are in the minority so we are forced to deal with the dilution of the series for people that don't play longer than a few months anyway.

It's nerve racking being stuck with something in May, June, and July that were added/removed from the game to appease the least interested consumers when they aren't playing beyond November.

Later
Who are you and what are doing posting on TNT's OS account? LOL

This reinforces my opinion that, I can not understand how there can be developers that have worked on this game for years and not see these issues.

Cam Weber should take a page out of the Joe Pesci movie "The Super" and require everyone on the Madden developer team to log at least 100 online ranked games against randoms and commish a public 32 User online Franchise. I know the thing about people that work in pizza porlars don't want to eat pizza but they still need to know what good pizza is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Not hurt, per se... More wondering why people with such a low opinion of the game seem to be so eager to rail against it. If you don't like Madden, don't play Madden.
It's the only NFL licensed football game in town. There is no other choice for a NFL licensed football game on the PC or major console.

I still have some problems with the game, but this year has been much better than previous years.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

"Cam Weber should take a page out of the Joe Pesci movie "The Super" and require everyone on the Madden developer team to log at least 100 online ranked games against randoms and commish a public 32 User online Franchise. I know the thing about people that work in pizza porlars don't want to eat pizza but they still need to know what good pizza is."

that might be the best quote i've ever seen on this site.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »