Home

Throwing the ball away...

This is a discussion on Throwing the ball away... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Throwing the ball away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Regarding the L2 function for throw aways, it's already a pump fake to individual receivers, which is valuable on 100% of the field. Specifying which receiver to pump to has no equivalent method to perform the function. Using the L2 to create an alternate to the functions that already allow us to throw balls where they can't be caught doesn't make any sense.
D'oh, forgot about that.

Yeah, that would be no good to take out/move pump fakes.

Personally, I just get out of the pocket and R3 or throw an uncatchable ball. It's easier than people think. I do it way too much LOL.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #34
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Heck, HUMAN referees don't always get intentional grounding right (or they have to huddle and sometimes make questionable determinations about a receiver being "nearby".

That's why I think something involving the receiver button is best. It's also why I don't mind throwing really bad passes to ground the ball/throw it out of play. Incidentally, this is easier with lower QB Acc - since it's easier to throw a bad ball. I bet it would be a nightmare to do with something like 100 QB Acc.

Perhaps a good way would be to do away with the lateral button and make that the "throw away" if you do like L2+receiver button, the QB will attempt to throw it away towards that receiver.
Best idea yet, imo.

Also, considering what TNT stated about the L2 button already being a pump fake, switching the "throw away" button to push in left stick instead of right stick + receiver button, to throw it away towards the receiver might work fine. That way you can make use of both hands when doing so hopefully making the action more fluid.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #35
Banned

jd369's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I'll take your comment as a compliment that illustrates that you acknowledge tenacity, toughness, and the inability to accept excuses from anyone, including myself.

That said, I'm not the "Supreme Madden Player." I simply strive to become better by understanding and using what's available to me in the here and now, as opposed to hoping and wishing for something to be added and holding my breath waiting for it.

The OP wants to throw at nobody without a penalty when he's in the red zone. That's GROUNDING and comes with a 10 yard penalty and loss of down.

You stated that no one wants to throw bad passes... Yet this entire discussion is about throwing an incomplete passes intentionally to save clock, get another down, move to the next play, etc. Fortunately, you can already do this in Madden. Simply throw a poor pass toward a receiver to an area no one can get it on purpose - JUST LIKE THE NFL.

I'm not sure why anyone would need a special button to throw the ball away in addition to the one that already exists and is perfectly legal to use outside of the pocket. If a player thinks he might need to throw the ball away, he should plan for that contingency BEFORE THE SNAP and be prepared to execute the throw away if necessary...

But that's not what the OP asked for... He specifically asked for a button that allows him to ground passes inside the red zone without penalty, but he's not willing to use the tools that are already available to do it.

Grounding is a judgement call. The best way to completely remove the grey area from the CPU is to not make any in the first place. RIGHT NOW, there's no grey area. The system allows you to pick a receiver and 'aim' your passes OR intentionally throw the ball away. As it should be.

Involving a receiver icon button is the only way to handle this issue LEGALLY. Otherwise, you might as well allow the normal "Throw away" button anywhere on the field without penalty.

Regarding the L2 function for throw aways, it's already a pump fake to individual receivers, which is valuable on 100% of the field. Specifying which receiver to pump to has no equivalent method to perform the function. Using the L2 to create an alternate to the functions that already allow us to throw balls where they can't be caught doesn't make any sense.

What it boils down to is know-how and desire... Neither of which is in the scope of EA's duty to gamers.

Later
I stopped reading right there at the bolded part. That just shows you have no idea what I was asking for and were just trying to sound all billy bad ***. I never said I wanted to throw at no one. I said I wanna be able to do what is done in the real NFL, which is throw at someone but sail it over them. Your whole argument this entire thread has been on a topic you made up in your head while everyone else is talking logically with the knowledge they have gained from watching football and knowing what Im talking about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #36
Banned

jd369's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
D'oh, forgot about that.

Yeah, that would be no good to take out/move pump fakes.

Personally, I just get out of the pocket and R3 or throw an uncatchable ball. It's easier than people think. I do it way too much LOL.
That is sufficent most of the time, but if its 2nd and goal from the 5 with only 7 seconds left on the clock and you are down 4+ points that technique would end the game without being able to get another play off. crunch time plays in situations like that are usually one read plays. if your read is open you throw it to him, if hes covered you throw it over him and you have another shot.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd369
That is sufficent most of the time, but if its 2nd and goal from the 5 with only 7 seconds left on the clock and you are down 4+ points that technique would end the game without being able to get another play off. crunch time plays in situations like that are usually one read plays. if your read is open you throw it to him, if hes covered you throw it over him and you have another shot.
True, but even then I'll pick routes like slants or fades that I can throw too hard and it goes out of the end zone. Or if my quick pass audible is curls, thevthrow it into the ground works. Quick outs and even screens or HB on a flats route (if you throw it too hArd, too.early, it will just zip past them - speaking from too much experience again, heh. I can't tell you how many HB I've decapitated with throws hard and right in the face as they turn around, bounce off their helmets)
Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
its as simple as this:

outside of the 20 yard line = must be out of pocket and click R3 to throw away with no penalty

inside the 20 = clicking R3 throws out of the back of the endzone for no penalty no matter where you are in or out of the pocket

theres no need to waste another button. they can use R3 for both

Too much to think about......video games aren't for thinking!!!!!

Lololol..............
Old 12-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
I stopped reading right there at the bolded part. That just shows you have no idea what I was asking for and were just trying to sound all billy bad ***. I never said I wanted to throw at no one. I said I wanna be able to do what is done in the real NFL, which is throw at someone but sail it over them. Your whole argument this entire thread has been on a topic you made up in your head while everyone else is talking logically with the knowledge they have gained from watching football and knowing what Im talking about.
The only reason it seems I don't know what you're asking is because you're making it about you and me. I prefer to explain how to do exactly what you want within the interface that already exists.

Quote:
Just last night, I threw 2 passes in a row through the back of the end zone in a time sensitive situation. Once to a TE on one side, the next to a WR on the other. If the capabilities you desire weren't available, I would not have been able to throw either one of these passes.

I think I recorded the game, I'll post the video and instructions for how to accomplish it once I cut up the footage.

That way, you can argue with the video instead of arguing with me.

Later
Old 12-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 16
Quote:
7 seconds is more than enough time to get out of the pocket and throw it away from a possession on the 5 and still leave time for another play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »