Home

Anyone else feel like the M12 "decides" when you'll throw an INT?

This is a discussion on Anyone else feel like the M12 "decides" when you'll throw an INT? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Anyone else feel like the M12 "decides" when you'll throw an INT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampking101
Well in all honesty it does. In a video game as much as we hate it with the way coding is it's a game of "checks". The moment you press the button the coding checks begin. What are the QB's ratings? Where are the defender? What are their ratings? Where is the receiver? What is the receivers ratings? What is the placement of the ball?

Things like that all happen the moment you press the button. So when you press it the game already knows if it's gonna be an INT. The only time that ever is interrupted is is another player takes over on the other side of the ball before the action is completed. Sadly that is just the way the engine works.
Or rather a series of dice rolls, hell yeah Madden DnD! Madden is my favorite RPG of all the times.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #18
Rookie

G_thasportsgamer's Arena

OVR: 1

Actually if you adjust a few of the linbackers ratings you should get some pretty clear throwing lanes and realistic reactions, try these modifications:

jmp (jump): no rating greater than 60 unless they are elite Linebackers.

zcv (zone coverage): lower that by 1/4 of AWR.

prc (play recognition): -10 below AWR.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
They might need to make more descriptive ratings for the passing game, like a "touch" rating for being able to drop the ball in over a defender or a "back shoulder throw" rating, etc.
A rating would work and would follow on the Throw on Run and Play Action precedent, but I think traits with the new DPP system has some interesting possibilities too.

For Touch, you could have something like Ideal, Conservative, Aggressive, Oblivious:

Ideal - Locates the ball in the best place for a catch and run. Gives a "bonus" to the receiver's catching ability if the rest of the pass is reasonably close to the receiver

Aggressive - More likely to make the ball "flat" and hard. This kind of QB would not be good for that "over the LB" throw. Not the best for a fade route either.

Conservative - More like to overthrow/overlead a receiver in an effort to keep the ball out of danger. Fades from this QB would likely be (too) close to the boundary. That throw "over the LB" would have too much arc on it, slowing the pace of the throw and perhaps giving the defense extra time to react and deflect the pass/crush the receiver.

Oblivious - Doesn't make many adjustments at all. All balls pretty much come out the same...or way overdone. Just can't find any kind of range on the ball when he has to throw with touch/adjust the throw.

Back shoulder throw could be like the pass rush moves or Makes Sideline Catches - simple yes/no as to whether the QB can make these throws properly. Yes would make no Accuracy penalty to the throw while No would have some chance, based on accuracy on the throw being wild/too far off.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 8

Ya'll already know what I'm going to say... USER ERROR.

I can't tell you how many times I've caught myself about to curse out Cam Newton before I realized that his poor pass was actually the result of something I did (intentionally or unintentionally).

Either I was moving the left stick the wrong direction, pressed the button incorrectly for the pass I needed to make, held the ball until pressure could effect the throw, etc...

Oddly, correcting technique on the controller substantially reduces the number of bad throws QB's make. The thing is, Madden doesn't have anyone standing over our shoulder grading our performance. There's no one to curse us out on the sidelines for poor technique and decisions, so it's really easy to continue making the same mistakes over and over - without any corrections.

We often blame EA for our own poor technique...

Later
Old 12-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #21
Banned

jd369's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Ya'll already know what I'm going to say... USER ERROR.

I can't tell you how many times I've caught myself about to curse out Cam Newton before I realized that his poor pass was actually the result of something I did (intentionally or unintentionally).

Either I was moving the left stick the wrong direction, pressed the button incorrectly for the pass I needed to make, held the ball until pressure could effect the throw, etc...

Oddly, correcting technique on the controller substantially reduces the number of bad throws QB's make. The thing is, Madden doesn't have anyone standing over our shoulder grading our performance. There's no one to curse us out on the sidelines for poor technique and decisions, so it's really easy to continue making the same mistakes over and over - without any corrections.

We often blame EA for our own poor technique...

Later
It's not user error when you have a WR run a curl and you throw it right to him and the he suddenly takes off running the opposite way and the ball goes right to the defender.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd369
It's not user error when you have a WR run a curl and you throw it right to him and the he suddenly takes off running the opposite way and the ball goes right to the defender.
The user can prevent the receiver from running in the wrong direction by clicking on and controlling him to run him to the best place to catch the ball.

IMO, CPU Catching = User Error even when things go well. But especially when they don't. Everyone is susceptible to user error and can fall victim to it or rise above it.

For instance... The other day I was attempting to throw a streak to Lafell on the left sideline only to deliver the pass to a spot 18 yards down field and about midway between the numbers and the hash marks. Worst off target pass in the world - I could FEEL the pass would be off target when I threw it, but I couldn't tell you how or why. I just knew immediately that I screwed up.

I wanted to throw the ball deep toward the left sidelines about 40 yards down field with a loft that made it so Lafell had to run to it. Instead, the pass was delivered about 18 yards past the LOS about 4 yards inside the left hash mark. USER ERROR.

Fortunately all those years of user catching came in handy. I clicked onto the LaFell and sprinted across the field to make the catch on the floating duck just before two defenders could make a play. USER SKILL.

So... Like I always do - I point to user error/skill as the cause/cure of these errant passes. In fact, I specifically hone my user skills for reacting to poorly thrown passes. It makes it much easier to catch the ones that are on target.

Later
Old 12-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
The user can prevent the receiver from running in the wrong direction by clicking on and controlling him to run him to the best place to catch the ball.

IMO, CPU Catching = User Error even when things go well. But especially when they don't. Everyone is susceptible to user error and can fall victim to it or rise above it.
WR running from the ball on a stationary-ending route (like a curl) is not User error. The User is not making the WR run away from the ball. The game should not have a WR doing something no WR at any level above Pop Warner (and maybe not even then) would do.

It is incorrect football behavior that shouldn't exist, even to simulate a WR screw up, imo.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
I am wondering if I am the only one. Hypothetically, say I'm trying to throw to the left sideline. I'll hit the button and throw the ball RIGHT TO the MLB in a completely different zone, with no receivers around him. It's frustrating. Or I'm paranoid.
Bro in my first year of online franchise for Madden 12 I became the absolute top guy in the world!.... At throwing picks!!! Lol I would say 9/10 times its of no fault other than my own. I have had a few instances where a receiver was in good position and the db ended up picking it off but not nearly as much as I put the wrong touch on the ball or was a split second late with the throw. If you make a poor decision... It's a turnover and I want that more than the alternative.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »