Home

Stopping Tight Ends online

This is a discussion on Stopping Tight Ends online within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Stopping Tight Ends online

I've seriously just had about enough with tight ends like gresham and ed dickson looking like they are the best tight ends in football

I don't even bother playing anyone that uses SF or new orleans or pats. It's not even fun.

It seems like 9/10 people i play online throws to their tight end every pass play

I've always been solid at defense online, but this is just something i can't figure out and honestly, i feel like theres really no way to stop it.

Is there any good strategy to stopping the tight ends in this game?

Just for the record, i'm not just some dick who started playing madden a week ago. I get about 5-7 games in a week. currently 49-23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Have you tried hot routing your defenders into different zones? Curly to flat, hook zones, etc. I am guilty of using my tight ends often online but I choose teams with good tight ends to have this option. Not sure if there is a true way of actually stopping it, other then not playing against those teams.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Stopping Tight Ends online

i wish i knew also i've tried different defenses as well no matter what i do some how the TE always comes open, ive beaten teams like 49er's,pats,saints but other times i've gotten run over by the TE play with these teams as well im also tired of playing those teams seems like those are only 3 teams ppl use besides the packers. i also use the TE as well but no on purpose only because the guys i play only guy i have chance throw to is TE because almost everybody i play blitz's 99% of time.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Play With Integrity

HARTSTOPPER's Arena

OVR: 20

I manually control the middle linebacker. Realistically, anyone who goes to their TE time and time again has only 3-4 plays they use online. If you can pay attention in the first quarter and figure out their formations and watch the routes being run, you can manually shut down a route and force them to go elsewhere. Most of the time, TE's are hit in crossing routes, so I manually cover the TE with a LB, and that shuts that route down or I pick it off.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25

If they are hitting you with quick pop routes right past the LOS, put your end on that side in QB SPY. I have gotten a ton of picks that way, it pretty much shuts down the short pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Rookie

I also manually control my LB. The TE's tend to run the same routes so it's not too hard to cover.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Rookie

Sqeeshy's Arena

I agree with HARTSTOPPER.

Manually control the Middle Linebacker and once you get familiar with the routes the tight end is running you should be able to stop the player from throwing to him or if he doesn't stop you can probably get some INTs.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

The keys are Personnel, Position, and Tempo. If you have a 3-pronged plan using these elements you will be able to easily figure out what to do next against ANY situation.

Personnel - TE. You already know who you want to stop so you 1/3 of the way there.

Position: The routes you need to defense will determine where you should place your players in man or zone.

Tempo: When the ball is thrown and arrives at the TE's catch point will determine which players you should place where on the field.

Think about how many steps you are from making a play, then move your guys that much closer to where they will end up pre-snap. They will arrive in their spots earlier.

Manual Jam - Control a blitzing LB and line up head-up across from the TE and jam him manually using R1 before rushing the passer.

Invert Zone - Send a safety from his normal 'high' position and bring him into the area where the TE usually makes his catches.

Forced Hesitiation - Don't rush so many that the TE is open immediately. Stay back with enough defenders that the TE isn't the early read.

Mixed coverages - Use vanilla coverage just long enough to see what your opponent is doing. Then spice up your coverage with custom adjustments specifically geared toward taking your opponent's TE away.

Unfortunately, most of the advice you receive will be generalized because your opponent's use of TE's determines what your answers should be. Use the most important information your opponent gives you to your advantage.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »