Home

Beware The Ides Of March For The NFL Exclusive License

This is a discussion on Beware The Ides Of March For The NFL Exclusive License within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
Banned

belucheez2's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Beware The Ides Of March For The NFL Exclusive License

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
Backbreaker was a glorified euphoria demo, people complain the AI in Madden is terrible, go play Backbreaker, it was literally just people running at eachother. The physics were beautiful but outside that, no. I felt ripped off paying $20 for the game.
Wow. You didn't play the game then.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #34
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Yeah, that's the point. For the NFL to leverage a NFL exclusive license there has to be companies ready to produce a NFL game, annually. The only company seemingly poised to such a daunting task is EA which puts them in a win/win situation.

There seems to be no business sense in EA paying more for an exclusive license than an open license would cost with no viable competitor and no business sense in the NFL selling an exclusive license for the cost of an open license when they could potentially make more from multiple companies.

Yeah I agree. I don't see why they shell out millions upon millions for it. They really should not have to.

I think the NFL knows they can hold a gun to EA's head now as the Madden brand is one of the cornerstone titles in there lineup.

I wonder if they will play a game of chicken when it expires.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #35
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I love playing Maddens brand of video game football.

Can't that be ok?

I have played other football games over the last 20 years. Some were really good and some were pure garbage.

Madden has always been my favorite.

It's really simple.

Competition is aways good and I wish there were more choices. Then I could test drive other games. But this is the reality and fortunately for myself I really enjoy Madden.

And didn't 2K grab the MLB exclusive and push out EA MVP Baseball.....a great game in it's own right I may add?

Thank god for SCEA and The Show. I don't really enjoy MLB 2K.
Sure that's OK but I was referring to the potential segment of gamers, like TNT professes to be in, that doesn't care what any other NFL video game EVER offers, it's Madden or Bust. lol

Heck, that's cool too and he is entitled to feel however he wants. I just disagree with taking that approach to NFL video games and personally don't care what company brand makes the best widget, I want it, as long as that brand isn't funding something I find immoral or reprehensive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

I hope we all have come to the conclusion that EA will have a NFL game year in year out. No company can afford to just make a no name mirror, THAT wouldn't get casual fans dollars. Instead lets take a look at the bright side as of late Madden seems to be hiring guys with know track records of putting out good products. The guy from MLB The Show comes to mind.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger
Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #37
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Yeah, that's the point. For the NFL to leverage a NFL exclusive license there has to be companies ready to produce a NFL game, annually. The only company seemingly poised to such a daunting task is EA which puts them in a win/win situation.

There seems to be no business sense in EA paying more for an exclusive license than an open license would cost with no viable competitor and no business sense in the NFL selling an exclusive license for the cost of an open license when they could potentially make more from multiple companies.
Business is all about who has more to lose. The NFL will be just fine without EA, but EA Sports wouldn't make it without the NFL. I just have a feeling the NFL would try to "take their ball and go home". Basically if EA doesn't want to pay for the license, their future bid wouldn't be accepted.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger
Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #38
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:

Big, I want you to know a few things.

1. I'm not trying to argue with you, either. I'm just trying to come at this from a business point of view vs a gamers POV.

2. I'm all for open market and competition.

It's already been proven on here from an ex-EA developer of the MVP series(Dr. Jones) that the NFL makes more $ from one single license than multiple licenses. This subject about exclusive licenses has been a topic discussed in the past.

All I"m saying is I don't see the NFL deviating from there standard business procedures and how they conduct business. It could be with widgets, video games, alcohol, etc.....

My opinion is that the NFL and EA will negotiate on a contract that will be mutually agreeable to both parties.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #39
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
There is no way I believe the NFL cares as much about this one supplemental revenue stream as EA has implied they do. I think it's a matter of if the NFL can sell an exclusive at an upfront increased rate, great but if not, no biggie, they will go back to an open license again.
I think you held it together well through this thread Big -- but finally the faint smell of wishful thinking is coming through .

I still think the elephant in the room is that exclusive is the NFL's favorite form of business. Does the NFL have to leverage exclusive rights in their videogame business? Nope. Does EA truly need the exclusive license at this juncture? Nope. But I think you'd agree with me that it's a bit naive to think the NFL would treat their videogame business differently than they do their soft drinks, beer, NFL branded clothing, etc (all are exclusive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi XIII
This is my assumption...

2K has been strangely quiet since the news came out last year (or maybe it was the year before) about them approaching the NFL for a deal. After that, all we heard was EA got their deal extended but for only one year. Yet we heard nothing from 2K that the deal was officially denied. I think 2K asked and/or the NFL gave 2K another year to prep up and will be excepting a deal with both 2K and EA to make NFL games.

That's just what I've been pondering about the whole thing, of course nothing official whatsoever.
You know, stranger things have happened. I think this is an interesting theory -- although I still think the NFL and EA are in the bed together.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #40
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
Business is all about who has more to lose. The NFL will be just fine without EA, but EA Sports wouldn't make it without the NFL. I just have a feeling the NFL would try to "take their ball and go home". Basically if EA doesn't want to pay for the license, their future bid wouldn't be accepted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Big, I want you to know a few things.

1. I'm not trying to argue with you, either. I'm just trying to come at this from a business point of view vs a gamers POV.

2. I'm all for open market and competition.

It's already been proven on here from an ex-EA developer of the MVP series(Dr. Jones) that the NFL makes more $ from one single license than multiple licenses. This subject about exclusive licenses has been a topic discussed in the past.

All I"m saying is I don't see the NFL deviating from there standard business procedures and how they conduct business. It could be with widgets, video games, alcohol, etc.....

My opinion is that the NFL and EA will negotiate on a contract that will be mutually agreeable to both parties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I think you held it together well through this thread Big -- but finally the faint smell of wishful thinking is coming through .

I still think the elephant in the room is that exclusive is the NFL's favorite form of business. Does the NFL have to leverage exclusive rights in their videogame business? Nope. Does EA truly need the exclusive license at this juncture? Nope. But I think you'd agree with me that it's a bit naive to think the NFL would treat their videogame business differently than they do their soft drinks, beer, NFL branded clothing, etc (all are exclusive).
All these are fair points but two main points.

1. All the points you guys are making also should have applied to the NCAA exclusive license that EA did not renew.

2. Long before there was an exclusive NFL video game license, the NFL had official soft drinks, beer, NFL branded clothing, etc but yet they still declined an exclusive video game license from EA until 2004. So if I think to myself what changed prior to that decision and I come up with 2k lowering the retail price of their NFL game potentially impacting the NFL's royalties, not that the NFL suddenly became interested in official branding.

While I think this discussion has been respectful and on topic for the most part, my main point was to point out twice, around mid-February in the next to last year before the contract would expire, EA has renewed. That time is rapidly approaching again this year and I am interested to see what happens. Right now I will only say what could be but if March 15th 2012 passes without an extension of the NFL exclusive, I will be somewhat certain the NFL exclusive is coming to an end.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »