Home

Will player movement be corrected in 2013?

This is a discussion on Will player movement be corrected in 2013? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Will player movement be corrected in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
How players move kills me, in this game. Sliding, warping, lightning-fast reflexes. It just drives me crazy.
Same here. For me, it's the last piece of the puzzle that needs to make a return. It's a major influence on immersion. Its puzzling to say the least because it's like we've regressed almost 10 years with player movement, but progressed with player visuals. Doesn't go together at all.

The player movement in current gen madden/NCAA reminds me of Joe montana sports talk football, or tecmo bowl. To me, it's unacceptable because the movement was closer to what we're looking for back on ps2. How could it be worse almost 10 years later. I'm confused.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Rookie

BlackJack_Williams's Arena

OVR: 7

While I overall agree that player movements have a lot of room for improvement, I wouldn't say that the player model don't cut or plant. I've had Madden since black friday and there have been plenty of times where I was actually impressed with some sort of foot planting or ACT (i say act because I know it's not really happening) of weight distribution during cuts. Sure, these are all animations and most of the time, don't play out during say, a long kick return. Players will snake in and out of defenders & this definitely needs improvement. I'm hoping M13 continues to work on this, M12 is definitely progress.
Playing right now: Rocket League
Games Looking forward to: Moving to PS4 lol
Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm OK with how movement has changed for user-controlled players on offense. It's at least evolving, even if there are flaws. What bugs me is how easy it is for every other guy on the field to turn 180 for a tackle or stop on a dime to go up for a ball. It's really rare for defenders to overrun a play at the line and pay for it or for blockers to make plays on the move. If those areas make half the progress ball-carrier movement has, I'll be thrilled.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

My son and I have been playing Madden together since he came home from college, and one thing that bothers both of us is the "Twin animations" that occur. I don't mind a corner making a good play on the ball or a line backer knocking down a pass, but there are very few occasions in real life where a corner will run the route a receiver was going to run but in madden it happens ALL OF THE TIME. Very rarely is man coverage presented properly. Either it's impossible to complete a pass or impossible to stop a completion (slants). Then there are the attributes and difficulty settings that make things a complete mess.

If your playing on pro (player vs player) it can be a barn burner every time. All pro is only slightly different where in you simply have less time to make your reads. Then there is the fictitious All madden difficulty that merely makes everyone on the field play like pro bowlers no matter what their ratings are. There is no in between in this game anymore. There is no median. Even with the best sliders the cpu will do ridiculous things like:

:better blocking for the losing player
:more interceptions and less passes defended for the losing player
(E.G. I was beating my son by 28-7, and the cpu allowed 3 really gross looking interceptions for his team, but my defenders batted down ever pass that could have been intercepted.)

I understand they want the game to be fun, but in real life if your team is having a bad day it can really become a nightmare if adjustments aren't made, strategies changed or moves in player personnel. Madden is missing all of the above for both head to head and player vs cpu. (don't even getting me started on the cpu ai player vs cpu). Unfortunately, for anyone expecting Madden 13 to correct this, your holding out hope for no reason at all. Madden 13 will be Madden 12.5 and that's the best we can hope for with the PS4 and xbox next rumored to be at this years E3 we're SOL on this gen.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
TheSaints7

OVR:

Doubt it, Just like most of the things wont be fixed. EA do not know how to make a NFL game. Give the rights to 2K.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli
I'm OK with how movement has changed for user-controlled players on offense. It's at least evolving, even if there are flaws. What bugs me is how easy it is for every other guy on the field to turn 180 for a tackle or stop on a dime to go up for a ball. It's really rare for defenders to overrun a play at the line and pay for it or for blockers to make plays on the move. If those areas make half the progress ball-carrier movement has, I'll be thrilled.
Did you see my second post? It hasn't evolved at all, it's regressed atleast a decade back to straight arcade standards. The players move about the field similar to tecmo bowl. I've seen a few threads about this, and of all the threads I've observed at OS, the devs happen to never stop by in the player movement threads.

They know about it because it was deliberately changed. I'll rest easy and get on with things as soon as they acknowledge this and confirm that it's going to 1. change back to what its meant to be, 2. get put in the game as an option ( sim setting/arcade setting), or 3. it's staying the way it is. We're 7 years in and the silence on this issue is extremely frustrating gentlemen.

Last edited by Sim Easy; 01-06-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: A bit more
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
Rookie

Oh, and another thing that's puzzling is the fact that OS is a sim gamer oriented site, but no one is standing up to this issue. 300 + views with a total of 13 responses!? Half of which are my own and some spammer talking about who knows what. Seriously? I'm a Madden fan gentlemen, if I wanted a parody of football I'd play blitz.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim Easy
Did you see my second post? It hasn't evolved at all, it's regressed atleast a decade back to straight arcade standards. The players move about the field similar to tecmo bowl. I've seen a few threads about this, and of all the threads I've observed at OS, the devs happen to never stop by in the player movement threads.

They know about it because it was deliberately changed. I'll rest easy and get on with things as soon as they acknowledge this and confirm that it's going to 1. change back to what its meant to be, 2. get put in the game as an option ( sim setting/arcade setting), or 3. it's staying the way it is. We're 7 years in and the silence on this issue is extremely frustrating gentlemen.
When I run the ball, I feel decent about how my guy is moving at the start of the play. QBs also are about right at avoiding sacks and moving behind the line. Obviously settings can alter perceptions here (to an extent, anyway).

I do agree with you that open field movement can be a little too free. Ironically, juking or trucking is usually less effective than it should be, but the old "manual juke" seems as effective as ever. Also, the player-field interaction is definitely off, but I could live with that if players moved a little better.

Still, I stand by a lot of what I said: user-controlled movement isn't too bad. But that hardly matters when defenses cannot over-pursue, or when every defender relentlessly flows to the ball, or when blockers never sit on defenders, or when OL can either move or block but not both. Also, I see my RB get stuck in slow animations after breaking tackles, but defenders seem to never slow down to adjust to cuts (unless they get faked out and trip - but I see little in between). I notice and am bothered by a lot more issues with non-user movement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »