Home

A Proposal for a New Passing Engine - Post Your Thoughts

This is a discussion on A Proposal for a New Passing Engine - Post Your Thoughts within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2003, 01:07 AM   #17
Darth_Dorn

OVR:
Re: A Proposal for a New Passing Engine - Post Your Thoughts

Steelerfan just kind of said what I was about to say here.

Only a few QBs in the league really go scrambling on plays, and they're really the only ones you see throw on the run and be semi-accurate. If you set it up so that you throw right after hitting the L2 button, your QB is still running at full speed when throwing it, which pretty much gets you what you're trying to achieve here.

Old 09-26-2003, 02:45 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 6

I like it just the way it is. I used to have a problem scrambling, but it's just second nature to take the icons down when I scramble.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:14 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 11

Good post man, Im sure your idea will some how be in Ncaa/Madden 2006.

When PS3/X-Box 2 come out Madden/Ncaa will make a huge leap like they do when ever a new system comes.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:25 AM   #20
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm sitting here thinking about my idea about the scrambling, and after a while of reconsidering, I don't think it would be easy to do.

However, about having awareness actually effect how your quarterback reacts to the buttons you push should be implemented. The scrambling portion does seem kinda wacky, but not the section I talked about the AWR rating effecting the human controlled player (not just the human team players being controlled by the CPU).

Here's An Example of How AWR Would Be Used:

Eric Crouch, an option QB that has no idea how to utilize the passing game (I know his arms sucks to, but bear with me here). Eric Crouch comes in with vast knowledge of how to run the option game. However, he wants to be an actual QB in the NFL (which is never gonna happen). So obviously, he needs to work on his ability to read a secondary and work on being able to react to a collapsing pocket. Since he doesn't pass, his release is not going to be quick. But there are alot of factors that play into release, not just how the QB positions the ball in his hands and positioning of his arms. That does have an effect, but again, there are more factors. In college, all he did was run the ball, with rare passes in between. But now he's in the NFL and has to study tapes that will help him learn to recognize a blitz, recognize when the pocket is collapsing, read a secondary, know the routes of his receivers, and especially practice on being accurate and able to lead a receiver. Knowing all of this isn't all you need though. You have to learn to think on your feet, and react to your surroundings.

AWR = Reaction Time
AWR = Knowledge of Surroundings
AWR = Knowledge of Playbook(s)

So taking those into account, with AWR equaling reaction time, a QB with AWR of 99 should react immediatly to what button I press (pending the button has an action during the play), whereas a QB with 50 in AWR would take about half a second longer to perform.

This kinda sounds a little farfetched if you think about it, and I know for sure that people would complain alot more when their 38 AWR QB doesn't do what they tell them.

Anyways, I guess EA should just come up with some damn new ratings, lol, based on what position they are playing at. So just take this whole post with a grain of salt as it needs to be worked on. I'm glad you guys are posting serious opinions about this subject, instead of some flame war. I was kinda expecting one, lol. So any more ideas on how this would work or not work?

I didn't think about the people who have mad controller skills (I seriously have none). I get frantic during foiled plays and my reaction is to just start hitting buttons, resulting in lots of interceptions, lol. Practice Mode has helped out a ton when learning to read defenses. Now when I enter a game, I still have to learn to be patient and not panic when a play goes bad, lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »