Home

CPU Timeout Logic...

This is a discussion on CPU Timeout Logic... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
CPU Timeout Logic...

Going to be brief here, but isn't it time Tiburon re-visit the AI's timeout logic? There's nothing 'broken' about the way it currently functions, but it would be nice to finally see some variety here.

Absent an injury, the AI always enters 2 minute situations with all three timeouts. And if you've played Madden enough over the years, you know the AI has the tendency to call a T.O. with 1:01 left on the clock. It's just become so stale and predictable.

In today's NFL, teams often have to spend a timeout earlier in the half. Either they didn't like a look the opponent is showing, or the play clock is running down so the QB has to burn a premature timeout.

It's a small detail, but it would certainly be a step toward making the AI feel more dynamic and less scripted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: CPU Timeout Logic...

I definitely agree with this. With accelerated clock turned off in the final two minutes, the CPU seems to go crazy with long bombs and rushing to the line of scrimmage which only takes them a few seconds. I hate how it drives up the play count and even the score with the craziness.

I would love to see both a two-minute drill rating for quarterbacks and a team cohesion rating introduced that affects how timeouts are used. Obviously, a more experienced quarterback will be more conservative with timeouts and work the sidelines more depending on the situation. I hate when the CPU will call a play and get set, only to call a timeout just because there is 1:01 to go like you said.

I think if team cohesion were a factor (and more penalty types), we could see the defense calling a timeout before getting called for too many men on the field or the offense calling a time out early in the 4th on a critical 4th and short.

Like you said, more variety would be a nice surprise.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I honestly can't remember a time when CPU timeout logic was any different from what it is now.

There should really be random, occasional events leading to time, perhaps based on the coach/coordinator/QB overall ratings. For example, slow play calls coming in, QB disliking the pre-snap read, coach or QB wanting extra time in critical third-down or red-zone situations, wrong personnel on the field, and so on. I stress that this should be occasional, and maybe more of a factor for away teams.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Agreed. CPU Timeout logic in both NCAA and Madden is borderline embarrassing. Two scenarios annoy me:

CPU is driving down inside my 20 with more than a minute to go in the half...Tons of time. No need to call a timeout. Worse yet it is actually helping me, leaving me time to score.

First half is winding down. CPU is deep in it's own territory...Time Out. Ok, they are going to try to get something going. Then they run a dive play...and call another time out. Ugh!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

OVR: 11

I hate that the CPU will not call timeouts sometimes when they absolutely should be. I have seen the CPU repeatedly run the clock out on itself even though the game is still winnable and they should be in desperation mode. It cheapens a win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I don't know about M12, but in M11 and prior, the computer was really bad in the final 2min of the first half. So many times would it's clock management AI be at odds with itself. The AI will call run plays up the gut to try and run the clock out and go to half time... and then call a quick time out to conserve time?!? Instead of being a jerk, after they punt I tend to just kneel it out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »