Home

Madden QB Challenge - Possible new mode?

This is a discussion on Madden QB Challenge - Possible new mode? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40
Madden QB Challenge - Possible new mode?

I must confess - I own a Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii. However, I still find myself playing numerous games on my Super Nintendo. It is not because the modern games are inferior, but the old games seem to offer more of a "fun" factor where you just pick them up and play.

The reason I am placing this in the Madden section is because one of the games (modes mostly) that I play the life out of is the Quarterback Challenge mode from NFL Quarterback Club.

It is simple, fast, and most importantly flat out fun. After playing this mode since I got the game brand new in 1995 it has struck me that no current football games have a mode or feature that is just fun to pick up and play.

I am not sure how many people are familiar with this mode or if it would even be possible to implement, but I wanted to a bit of my time to make a case for this feature in Madden.

The challenge starts off like this : Quarterback Selection

This is where you would make your selection. Do you take a guy like Michael Vick who can use his mobility and cannon arm to dominate more athletic events, or do you take Drew Brees and use your deadly accuracy to try and win the trophy? It's all about how you want to play.

Event #1 - Accuracy

As you can see, the first event could feature a few different stages in accuracy. Two targets - either moving or stationary would be available to try and hit within a time limit. A depth gauge and meter of some sort could be used to try and line the ball up accurately with the targets before the time is up.

When you hit the target, you earn points depending on where the ball is placed. Similar to this -

After the event, and each subsequent event, an event score and total overall score could/would be displayed.

Ratings that would matter - Short Throw Accuracy, Medium Throw Accuracy, Deep Throw Accuracy

Event #2 - Mobility

This event could be great. A set of cones would outline a path with obstacles (a bar to duck under, a bar to jump over, an object to spin around, etc...) for the QB to navigate before reaching the last part of the path and stopping (or throwing on the run to save time if your QB is athletic enough) to hit a target for a point boost.

Ratings that would matter - Speed, Acceleration, Agility, Spin and Juke moves, Throw On the Run, Short Throw Accuracy, Awareness

Event #3 - Distance Throwing

This event would be timed (like all events) and have the player either using a rhythmatic button tapping or a meter and gauge system.

Ratings that would matter - Throw Power, Deep Throw Accuracy

Event #4 - Read and React

This would be the final event (unless more would be implemented) and would consist of a couple of different stages. A number of targets would be present and once the timer starts only two targets would make themselves available. This would force the player to use his awareness rating in order to move the indicator quickly and make a throw.

Ratings that would matter - Awareness, Short Throw Accuracy, Medium Throw Accuracy, Deep Throw Accuracy
==========================================

This would conclude the challenge. A trophy presentation cut scene or something similar could be briefly shown after the final leaderboard appears.

I truly think this could be a lot of fun, and yet not complicated and hard to pick up and play.

The reasons I believe this would be a hit are as follows -

Ratings would matter -

People on here always complain about ratings not having a big effect, but here ratings could shine. Sure if you were skilled enough you could win, but the different QB's and their styles would be fun to compete with. One guy picks Vick knowing he should dominate the mobility course and compete in the distance course while another guy takes Drew Brees and carves the rest up on accuracy related challenges. People would compete like this daily, which brings up....

Multiplayer -

Whether you want to take the challenge online or just play your friend in the same room, this could make for a lot of excitement. It would not take very long to complete a challenge and would always give the other player a score to try and beat whether it's an all time best or just from the last event.

Achievements -

There are a few guys that are achievement hounds and this mode could offer a wide range of them. Just use your imagination.

DLC -

Whether it is free, or paid for, imagine if you could secure some legends rights like in the Ultimate Team feature? A challenge with John Elway, Dan Marino, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, etc... all with their own unique skill set and throwing styles!

The year of the Quarterback is in -

If it's not Tim Tebow all over the news it's a great rookie like Cam Newton or a record setter like Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers hogging all the spotlight this year. Now is a time with a number of different, popular QB's that would be fun to help this mode shine.

It's something different -

There really is not other feature quite like this in a football game now. It is just pick up and play, simple fun. Variety really is the spice of life and this would be a nice change of pace when you feel like some football but don't want to knock out a whole game.

It may not be too hard to create -

I would like to say that I am ignorant in regards to what it takes to create a new game mode. I mean no disrespect to any designer when I say this, so hang in there with me.

I know all of the QB's are already in the game and the license issue should not come into play. The player models would probably have to be overhauled (just a t-shirt with basketball shorts and a helmet would be the appropriate attire) to make it feel right. Also, at least four different sections of a stadium (maybe the Pro Bowl stadium?) would have to be designed along with the appropriate meters and gauges to play them. After those are finished, a few selection screens, leaderboard screens, and a little trophy presentation the mode would be complete for offline play at least.

There is probably quite a lot more than what I just described (or maybe not) but even so, it is just my opinion that this mode could and would blow Superstar mode right out of the water.

So there you have it. This is my plea. I am not saying the mode would have to be identical to the one in QB Club, but it should give people an idea about what I am getting at.

Thoughts?
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Madden QB Challenge - Possible new mode?

Didn't Madden have this at one point? Or was it just this? I remember playing something like this on Genesis, just can't remember what it was. Pretty fun game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »