Home

Madden NFL and the Future of Video Game Sports (Grantland)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL and the Future of Video Game Sports (Grantland) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #57
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL and the Future of Video Game Sports (Grantland)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I feel what you're saying and I remember that "reasoning" being offered up in the past. However, that's my point about penalties potentially being an early indicator of just how much the POV for creating Madden has actually changed from the past.

I read Cam and the current developer team stating all kinds of things about NFL authenticity instead of that old mantra espoused by Ian/Phil of balancing realism and fun. However, if their actions in how they create the game still seem to adhere to that old concept, what they state in interviews won't mean a Hover Dam thing in relation to Madden being more realistic.

Like Adfletch stated and you alluded to, there seems to be no good excuse for not having the option for more authentic penalties. Also, this makes me wonder when Madden will actually have a mode that generally represents real time in relation to a NFL game. There needs to be some mode in Madden where points are at a premium instead of these 20-28 min four quarter yardage fests. I would love to have to literally fight for every yard and set up a true playcalling Gameplan and strategy for yardage instead of the Pop Warner style, basketball pickup game pace, currently in Madden.
Yep, I want more penalties, but I want a saves option also.

As far as your last statement, as far as offline goes for me, that depends what team you are playing with or against. To me, there seems to me more open offenses this past year until they go up against a killer defense. The Packers and Saints come to mind. I've heard Aaron Rodgers state he wants to keep the pedal on the gas. Patriots are another team that does this.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #58
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Yep, I want more penalties, but I want a saves option also.

As far as your last statement, as far as offline goes for me, that depends what team you are playing with or against. To me, there seems to me more open offenses this past year until they go up against a killer defense. The Packers and Saints come to mind. I've heard Aaron Rodgers state he wants to keep the pedal on the gas. Patriots are another team that does this.
Understood but does one have to be linked to the other? It seems like the last regime would say something like, we can't add realistic penalties without an in-game save feature and that is hard to implement. One shouldn't prevent the other from being in the game.

Also, there is currently no mode that I am aware of, offline or online that has the realistic pace of a 60 minute NFL game. If someone adept at playing Madden was to play 15 minute quarters, even on All Madden difficulty, I cringe to think how much yardage and how many potential points would be tallied.

For starters, I would love to see personnel packages actually come on and off the field again like they did back in the day in Madden. One of the most arcadey elements that linger in next gen Madden is the timing, imo. Gamers that just want the "highlights" of the NFL in a video game "quickie" should be catered to in NFL Blitz, not a NFL simulation.

It's cool if you or anybody else only has the allotted time for an one hour or less game with 5-7 minute quarters and I would love to see in-game saves added. However, that doesn't mean that a shortened game should have to playout at an arcadey pace, in the meantime.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Also, there is currently no mode that I am aware of, offline or online that has the realistic pace of a 60 minute NFL game. If someone adept at playing Madden was to play 15 minute quarters, even on All Madden difficulty, I cringe to think how much yardage and how many potential points would be tallied.
iv played 15 min Q for the last 2 maddens the most ever scored on me was 59 and the most iv scored was like 52 most the time i avg 300-400 total yards while the cpu get like 300-350, plays split pretty much down the middle 60-65 me 60-65 cpu sometimes i get more somethings they do
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #60
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Understood but does one have to be linked to the other? It seems like the last regime would say something like, we can't add realistic penalties without an in-game save feature and that is hard to implement. One shouldn't prevent the other from being in the game.

For starters, I would love to see personnel packages actually come on and off the field again like they did back in the day in Madden. One of the most arcadey elements that linger in next gen Madden is the timing, imo. Gamers that just want the "highlights" of the NFL in a video game "quickie" should be catered to in NFL Blitz, not a NFL simulation.

It's cool if you or anybody else only has the allotted time for an one hour or less game with 5-7 minute quarters and I would love to see in-game saves added. However, that doesn't mean that a shortened game should have to playout at an arcadey pace, in the meantime.
I wish I played 5-7 minute quarters, but I don't for. I play 12 minute quarters and finish in 1 hr and 15 minutes.

Yes, call me selfish if you want, but I don't see any reason why we can't have increased penalties and a save option in 2012.

If you are saying that we can't have save options to forsake more penalties, then I would need to adjust the minutes downward and I don't feel I should need to do that.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #61
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegout
iv played 15 min Q for the last 2 maddens the most ever scored on me was 59 and the most iv scored was like 52 most the time i avg 300-400 total yards while the cpu get like 300-350, plays split pretty much down the middle 60-65 me 60-65 cpu sometimes i get more somethings they do
I am surprised to hear this but I don't play the CPU and have only ran offline franchise with friends. I would think that you are policing yourself to play the CPU on 15 min quarters without putting up inflated stats but maybe not. I know there is no way me and my friends could play a Franchise with 15 min quarters with realistic stats unless we created some house rules. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #62
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I wish I played 5-7 minute quarters, but I don't for. I play 12 minute quarters and finish in 1 hr and 15 minutes.

Yes, call me selfish if you want, but I don't see any reason why we can't have increased penalties and a save option in 2012.

If you are saying that we can't have save options to forsake more penalties, then I would need to adjust the minutes downward and I don't feel I should need to do that.
I am just saying the two are separate additions and one shouldn't be dependent on the other. If realistic penalties were added without an in-game save feature, like you stated earlier, it should be an option, that anyone could turn off or on. No need for anyone to adjust minutes.

I would also like that same type option for the game to playout in real time, including broadcast and player's moving on/off the field.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #63
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
I am just saying the two are separate additions and one shouldn't be dependent on the other. If realistic penalties were added without an in-game save feature, like you stated earlier, it should be an option, that anyone could turn off or on. No need for anyone to adjust minutes.

I would also like that same type option for the game to playout in real time, including broadcast and player's moving on/off the field.
Yes, there are separate additions, but both additions I would really want. I'm not the only one that wants saves in games.

Sorry, Big, but people have been asking for in-game saves at OS for years. There's more people than me out there that would love more penalties and a in-game save feature, too.

To me, it seems like you are trying to accentuate which one is more important. I envy people who have time to immerse themselves in a football video game, but there is a market that has family, commitments and just want to chill for a while after working a long full day and spending time with the kids. The only time I have on the 360 is after 10pm at night. If people are fortunate not to use an in-game save feature, that's great, but I would think there would be support even if you don't need it. It's all about options, right? I don't play online at all, but I support the online community in obtaining the same amount of features as the offline people do.

I really don't think an in-game save feature is out of the realm of possibility, especially, since it was discussed during a podcast last summer.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
I am surprised to hear this but I don't play the CPU and have only ran offline franchise with friends. I would think that you are policing yourself to play the CPU on 15 min quarters without putting up inflated stats but maybe not. I know there is no way me and my friends could play a Franchise with 15 min quarters with realistic stats unless we created some house rules. lol
got ya. iv only played one person using 15 min Q with the run down to 10 sec wasnt to high scoring like 35-42 or something(using custom sliders) but my friends did it on all madden and the score got in the 100 by the third Q but that was last years madden

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »