Home

Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #73
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: QB Vision

You realize they do have unique throwing motions in Madden 12, right? Tebow's wonky throwing motion is there.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #74
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
You realize they do have unique throwing motions in Madden 12, right? Tebow's wonky throwing motion is there.
Yeah, I think have seen that discussed in a few editing threads about people assigning QBs different ones. However, I don't think they're utilized the same way or are as diverse as the signature motions in NBA2k12 that I was thinking should be added. For example, I think in Madden, while there may be a difference in say, virtual Tebow's mechanics than virtual Brady's, they're not linked to the User's timing the way NBA2k's are and I am not aware of how many different ones, Madden currently has.

Also, I believe or at least it seems to me, that Grossman can get the ball deep down field with less of a "wind up" effort than Beck in Madden, due to their difference in THP but it's missing the option/User control mechanic, to sacrifice the needed "wind up" and THP, to just get rid of the ball quickly, imo.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #75
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

I want some greater passing control, but one thing I really want to stress to people is to avoid asking for too much. There is such as thing as too many controls. I don't want to have to memorize 100 different combinations, and then make my fingers perform the combinations, just to make a pass. I want flexibility, but I don't want to deal with timing my QBs' throwing motion, dealing with a trajectory meter, then pulling off some 3-button combo.

And Johnnyg713, the NHL series had some TERRIBLE TERRIBLE passing two iterations ago. I play that series very regularly, and the passing can be wonky sometimes. In NHL 09, passing was horrible. They've made improvements, and the passing is better, but I still have instances where I think to myself "I was NOT trying to pass it there." It was a major complaint several years back in the EA NHL forum.

Ingenuity comes from designing a robust system with a user interface that is both complex and simple at the same time. What do you do when you have two wide receivers on top of each other, 10 yards apart? What do you do when you're trying to pass deep to your wide out, and it happens to be on the same line as your TE running a slant? In the NHL and NBA, these aren't issues because of the nature of the game. Both deal with formations in a zone and passing through and around that zone. Football deals more with depth of field.

For now, let's maybe stick to the topic of QB vision, since there's already a thread about the passing game in general.

Last edited by Broncos86; 02-14-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #76
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
I want some greater passing control, but one thing I really want to stress to people is to avoid asking for too much. There is such as thing as too many controls. I don't want to have to memorize 100 different combinations, and then make my fingers perform the combinations, just to make a pass. I want flexibility, but I don't want to deal with timing my QBs' throwing motion, dealing with a trajectory meter, then pulling off some 3-button combo.

And Johnnyg713, the NHL series had some TERRIBLE TERRIBLE passing two iterations ago. I play that series very regularly, and the passing can be wonky sometimes. In NHL 09, passing was horrible. They've made improvements, and the passing is better, but I still have instances where I think to myself "I was NOT trying to pass it there." It was a major complaint several years back in the EA NHL forum.

Ingenuity comes from designing a robust system with a user interface that is both complex and simple at the same time. What do you do when you have two wide receivers on top of each other, 10 yards apart? What do you do when you're trying to pass deep to your wide out, and it happens to be on the same line as your TE running a slant? In the NHL and NBA, these aren't issues because of the nature of the game. Both deal with formations in a zone and passing through and around that zone. Football deals more with depth of field.

For now, let's maybe stick to the topic of QB vision, since there's already a thread about the passing game in general.
I agree with you especially in relation to next-gen Madden because they have seemed so reluctant to "rock the boat".

That's why my suggestion, in a nutshell is, for footwork and QB "vision" to factor in to achieving maximum QB rated accuracy, while button timing determines the quickness of the throw and the amount of the QB's throwing power utilized.

It would be simple basketball game like controls with QB vision added.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #77
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

IMO, footwork is passively taken into account within the current QB accuracy ratings. I don't see how it improves the game. Footwork is a mechanic within the throwing motion, and I don't think we need to start breaking down the throwing motion. Honestly, Madden does a pretty job already with separating QBs. I don't think this is the problem with the passing game.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #78
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
IMO, footwork is passively taken into account within the current QB accuracy ratings. I don't see how it improves the game. Footwork is a mechanic within the throwing motion, and I don't think we need to start breaking down the throwing motion. Honestly, Madden does a pretty job already with separating QBs. I don't think this is the problem with the passing game.
You are of course entitled to your opinion but like you stated, it is currently "passively taken into account" and some people, including myself, would like to see the current impact, increased.

I am not advocating for breaking down the throwing motion, I just would like to have the risk/reward of setting the QB's feet to pass, better represented in the game, by the User needing to stop moving the QB before throwing or suffer a more substantial accuracy penalty as a result.

IMO, that simple tuner/adjustment would make the passing in Madden more realistic and I think that would be an improvement.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #79
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
You are of course entitled to your opinion but like you stated, it is currently "passively taken into account" and some people, including myself, would like to see the current impact, increased.

I am not advocating for breaking down the throwing motion, I just would like to have the risk/reward of setting the QB's feet to pass, better represented in the game, by the User needing to stop moving the QB before throwing or suffer a more substantial accuracy penalty as a result.

IMO, that simple tuner/adjustment would make the passing in Madden more realistic and I think that would be an improvement.
You have one of two factors that currently affect this:

1) Passing on the run. We have a stat for that.
2) Throwing off the back foot.

#2 is a terrible idea and is a great way to throw INTs in Madden. Simply widen the window of accuracy for QBs when passing on the run. That being said, I don't really think it's an issue. I can't recall a time I've said to myself "man, that's not right." I make sure to get my QB to plant, because it gives him the best opportunity.

The "problem" is that the ratings have bunched up again. At one point, Donny Moore widened the ratings and it really helped. Lately, those ratings have bunched back up. If he'd bring guys like Orton back into the mid-70s, guys like Tebow into the high 60s, and leave the 90s for the most elite QBs, you'd see a great difference between the best and the rest.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #80
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal

I agree with you here. I do think the risk/reward would be better represented by simple animations (along with the accuracy of the pass obviously). If the qb is throwing off his back foot make a simple back foot throw animation also throwing on the run animations or throwing across the body. This is not only more realistic, it also teaches the user to play smarter and set their feet. All of this is basically the passing system in ALL Pro. Great system but some throwing animations were way too long at times. Again the animations are there to simply show the player that the pass is going to be off as opposed to someone who doesn't know there is a penalty for holding the LS down and throwing the ball. A lot of people do this, leaving them saying why the hell did he throw it like that?

To comment on QB vision, the "double tap" pass that TNT mentioned is almost perfect. No cone, just the QBs head being turned to the receiver so that safeties can bite and this allows the user to look off certain receivers. I know some people hate the RT but its the only pressure sensitive button on the xbox controller. If you hit the icon to have the qb look then the trigger to pass the ball it gives you the ability to throw the ball as hard or soft as youd like.

Last edited by johnnyg713; 02-15-2012 at 10:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »