Home

Online League BS

This is a discussion on Online League BS within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Rookie

JJ04's Arena

OVR: 1
Online League BS

God this is some major BS! Just played a guy with the chiefs in an online league. He kept running a hurry up offense in the I-form and had amazing blocking everytime no matter what defense I ran. He would switch the way of the play or audible to a screen. On defense he ran the same formation every play and only rushed 2 guys and dropped back the rest. He also stripped my guys 4 TIMES!!! By far the worst time I have had playing Madden. Also while up a ton he began to throw that ball and go for it on 4th down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Online League BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ04
God this is some major BS! Just played a guy with the chiefs in an online league. He kept running a hurry up offense in the I-form and had amazing blocking everytime no matter what defense I ran. He would switch the way of the play or audible to a screen. On defense he ran the same formation every play and only rushed 2 guys and dropped back the rest. He also stripped my guys 4 TIMES!!! By far the worst time I have had playing Madden. Also while up a ton he began to throw that ball and go for it on 4th down.
Sounds like a garbage league man. Need to find one that doesn't allow that stuff.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Rookie

JJ04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Sounds like a garbage league man. Need to find one that doesn't allow that stuff.
Yea I need to find one, hopefully one that hasnt started yet.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

A mom might pat you on the head and give you a cookie and say those guys are playing too rough. A coach would critique your play objectively, make you run laps, and tell you how to tighten up your play.

League play is NOT for people who play for fun - it's 100% serious business.I wouldn't say it's a garbage league, but it's obviously one that isn't fit for your brand of football as you play right now. Maybe you aren't ready. Maybe you are but you just needed to be kicked in the pants to jump start your competitive spirit.

If your opponent had an answer for everything you were doing - you need to go back to the drawing board schematically, tighten up on your user skills, and break down your own technique.

I recommend that you invest in a capture device to record your league games on film for review later when you can watch objectively. If your league is competitive, at least one of the other owners in your league is watching film.

READ THIS: 10 Steps to Madden Bliss

Next, stop looking at others to assign blame for your loss and start taking responsibility for your own performance. Otherwise, you'll pull out of your league to find some other league where the rules cater to players without any toughness...

If you got into a league to have fun - you got in for the wrong reason. League play is more like the NFL than any other aspect of 1v1 online play. Ask yourself if the Colts (2-14) had fun getting their weaknesses exposed all year long... Probably not. But the NFL isn't a BS league anymore than the one you've joined.

From your description, it sounds like you know exactly what beat you - DON'T TUCK TAIL AND RUN AWAY - work so it doesn't happen again against your next opponent.

Later
Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

TNT713 is too funny. I'd like to see a poll and see how many really think league play is just business and not for fun.

It sounds like the OP was facing an opponent who knew how to "game the game".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballsim
TNT713 is too funny. I'd like to see a poll and see how many really think league play is just business and not for fun.

It sounds like the OP was facing an opponent who knew how to "game the game".
bbsim,

I have sponsored, hosted, and officiated more than a dozen professional caliber Madden tournaments since March 2008 and have awarded more than $7000 in cash prizes - so I've seen play at EVERY POSSIBLE LEVEL.

As you may know, I play Madden seriously, but even I am NOT READY for many of the leagues and competitive events that are available (as evidenced by my dismal performance in the few leagues and tournaments I've participated in). But I am keenly aware of the many types of leagues out there due to a project I've undertaken since 2004 where I compare Madden league rules with NFL rules. I've literally reviewed HUNDREDS OF LEAGUES.

That said, "Serious business" relates to an approach to the game as opposed to it actually being a money making endeavor. There's a HUGE difference between playing Madden for fun and playing it seriously.

The NFL is a business with a businesslike approach to playing the game, but not every league requires a businesslike approach to be successful. There are many brands of leagues that are suited to players of various ages, sizes, and skill levels. There are even some Pop Warner type leagues that are well suited to beginning players that are all about the fun.

Regarding whether his opponent was gaming the game or not really depends on how prepared individual players are for the type of play within the league they are in.

Back to myself... Through years of research, I've developed a system to score a leagues "NFL-ness" with a percentage using about 40 points of comparison using items like substitutions, motion, 4th downs, etc. I won't participate in leagues that don't score at least 85% parallel to the NFL. That cutoff means I get THRASHED whenever I play in a league because I'm NOT READY. But it happens to everyone I've talked to who enters a highly skilled league...

Unfortunately, our friend the OP is NOT in a beginner league so his "fun" will not materialize until his skills develop enough to compete on that level...

Later
Old 01-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

This is part of the reason I don't play online. Some people take these online games as if they're a personal super bowl. I play Madden to enjoy football, not try to manipulate the wonkiness of Madden itself.

Perfect example: Back in 1994, I played "NHLPA Hockey" on the SNES with some friends. We discovered that if you went behind the net on the bottom-screen goalie, he'd get stuck on the far post and you'd have a wide-open net. So we banned the use of that move because it was bogus hockey.

In the past, I've banned myself from using money plays and lil' cheeses like the one I described because it's just not good football/hockey. If I went online and beat a guy 45 - 14, but it wasn't good football, I wouldn't feel good about the win.

Other guys see it as a meta-game within football, and that's fine. BUT, that's no reason to lecture a guy just because he didn't have fun in a specific league. Tell him to find another league that fits his style, don't bolster yourself while talking down to people, TNT. We don't need the agenda.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
b

Back to myself... Through years of research, I've developed a system to score a leagues "NFL-ness" with a percentage using about 40 points of comparison using items like substitutions, motion, 4th downs, etc. I won't participate in leagues that don't score at least 85% parallel to the NFL. That cutoff means I get THRASHED whenever I play in a league because I'm NOT READY. But it happens to everyone I've talked to who enters a highly skilled league...
Got to that part before I finally cracked up.... come on man!

BTW OP, the guy only rushed 2 on D the entire time? As long as you covered before getting hit you should have torn him up on the ground...

Last edited by TMJOHNS18; 01-27-2012 at 07:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »