Home

Making Plays on Defense (User)

This is a discussion on Making Plays on Defense (User) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Rookie

moose616's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Making Plays on Defense (User)

This is, IMO, the most realistic aspect of M12. I play as MLB and am always in on tackles.

1. MLB's first priority is to fill gaps and defend the run. However, that doesn't mean the first step is always toward the QB.
2. Know your assignment. If it isn't a run, you need to know who or what area you're responsible for. If you run out of your zone, the CPU will throw to it (unless you've dummied the game down).
3. Watch the OG. This is the most important step. Don't watch the QB and definitely don't watch the RB. Pick a guard (left or right doesn't matter) and watch his FIRST step. If it's forward, it's a run. If he pulls, it's a run to the outside. If he pops up or steps back, it's a pass.
4. Run = Shoot the inside gap. Toss = Flow towards the sideline (make sure to not over-pursue). Pass = cover your assignment.

It takes some practice, since people are used to watching the backfield, but it works...I promise.

-Also works in real life if you pay attention to it.

Madden12
Rosters: Moose's 1993 Rosters for Madden (PS3)

MLB 12: The Show
Diamond Dynasty: Rocky Mountain Moose Knucklez
Old 01-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose616
This is, IMO, the most realistic aspect of M12. I play as MLB and am always in on tackles.

1. MLB's first priority is to fill gaps and defend the run. However, that doesn't mean the first step is always toward the QB.
2. Know your assignment. If it isn't a run, you need to know who or what area you're responsible for. If you run out of your zone, the CPU will throw to it (unless you've dummied the game down).
3. Watch the OG. This is the most important step. Don't watch the QB and definitely don't watch the RB. Pick a guard (left or right doesn't matter) and watch his FIRST step. If it's forward, it's a run. If he pulls, it's a run to the outside. If he pops up or steps back, it's a pass.
4. Run = Shoot the inside gap. Toss = Flow towards the sideline (make sure to not over-pursue). Pass = cover your assignment.

It takes some practice, since people are used to watching the backfield, but it works...I promise.

-Also works in real life if you pay attention to it.
Perfect!!!!!! Basic, simple and very effective.
Football 101

I agree, Madden 12 does this very well.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Yeah, that's all good stuff.

What I've decided to do is use my team's biggest playmaker all game all season to put the onus on myself to make plays and make the defense stout. I'm going with no switching, too, so that the ratings for all my other players are really front and center.

It's been really fun the first two games in a rebuild the Rams franchise. I'm 1-1, and I use Chris Long on D. He has 7 tackles and 2 sacks in 2 games.

When it comes to the DL, I pay a lot of attention to gap control so I can create lanes for my LB to make the play, and I pay attention to the formation to see if I have contain or if another player does.

I think most people play the DT or the MLB in Madden, so I was curious how some others did things.

Something I'd really love to do for the challenge is start playing CB. It would be super rewarding to shut a receiver down manually.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Yeah, that's all good stuff.

What I've decided to do is use my team's biggest playmaker all game all season to put the onus on myself to make plays and make the defense stout. I'm going with no switching, too, so that the ratings for all my other players are really front and center.

It's been really fun the first two games in a rebuild the Rams franchise. I'm 1-1, and I use Chris Long on D. He has 7 tackles and 2 sacks in 2 games.

When it comes to the DL, I pay a lot of attention to gap control so I can create lanes for my LB to make the play, and I pay attention to the formation to see if I have contain or if another player does.

I think most people play the DT or the MLB in Madden, so I was curious how some others did things.

Something I'd really love to do for the challenge is start playing CB. It would be super rewarding to shut a receiver down manually.
That would be cool!!

I on occasion get caught having to play CB as I sometimes man up a zone or blitzing CB before the snap. Havn't been burned too badly yet but it always makes me nervous, pretty funny watching my user controlled CB antics as I usually abandon my assignment and just chase the guy I was lined up with, worse yet is if offense comes out in bunch and snaps the ball before I can identify the reciever I want to man up, everybody takes off leaving me standing there looking stupid???? Good time for a delayed CB blitz...lol
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

You know what might be good to do--start practicing by calling cover 2 man and highlighting the receiver you're guarding before the play so the S knows to pay extra attention to him.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #14
Rookie

moose616's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtguru
Perfect!!!!!! Basic, simple and very effective.
Football 101

I agree, Madden 12 does this very well.
Did you actually test it out?

Madden12
Rosters: Moose's 1993 Rosters for Madden (PS3)

MLB 12: The Show
Diamond Dynasty: Rocky Mountain Moose Knucklez
Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
I did, works fantastic, my run defense is much better thanks to this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Have been keying the gaurds since Madden 07.

The tactics you describe as well as all of the others contained in this thread provide excellent results against human as well as cpu.
As you said, trick is knowing selected players assignment and conditioning yourself to not immediately look into the backfield.

I primarily use an LB, occasionally a safety. gameplay sliders are jacked up All Madden, coaching schemes and positional priorities set to increase all LB production, special attention is also given to 4-3 defensive ends.

All of the above work especially well in Madden 12, online and offline.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »