Home

what's the Pats base D now, 4-3?

This is a discussion on what's the Pats base D now, 4-3? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
what's the Pats base D now, 4-3?

hi, can a Pats fan what their base D should be?

a google search shows me early-season articles that suggest they switched to a 4-3.

can you confirm this should be their Madden base?

and if so, who now plays what in the front 7?

thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: what's the Pats base D now, 4-3?

Belichick has always been something of a hybrid guy, showing both 3/4 and 4/3 fronts based on opponents.

Some Pats fans can chime in better than I can, but earlier this season when they had Haynesworth, they were a base 4-3, then after they cut him, the way I understand it, is that they went back to a predominant 3-4 base.

I know I saw quite a few 3-4 fronts when they played the Ravens as well has a few 3 man fronts with Ninkovich playing the (Jack) stand-up rusher.

I would say go with Multiple D, but I always found the 3-4 sets are really vanilla in that playbook. You might want to create a custom playbook starting with Belichick, then just add a 4-3 over front to it to give you some flexibility.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 11

Hybrid should be the way to go.

AFAIK, their "base D", as in the D that's on the field most is basically a 4-2-5 Nickel, and it has been last year as well, that's why they went with it this year so they could limit the packages the defense had to train with the lockout, so when they go to a more run-heavy D, it's usually more a 4-3.

But that's by far not exclusive, I've seen them run a ton of 3 man fronts in both run and pass D, so yes, Hybrid D seems to represent them the best.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Rookie

thanks, guys, i'm not actually playing with them (i'm a Bills fan) but i'd like to best use their personnel.

i was shocked to see a 260 pound end, Andre Carter, on what i thought was a 3-man front.

the problem with hybrid, i think, is that the CPU doesn't change players as per formation -- they wouldn't make Carter an OLB in a 3-4, would they? or does he sit off the field in real life?

at any rate, i think the CPU just plays guys without considering if an end is a 4-3 end or a 3-4 end.

if so, do you still suggest i make the Pats D "hybrid"?

just trying to get the CPU to make the most of the Pats players.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Rookie

i guess one simple question for Pats fans is, did Carter play OLB for them in 3-4 packages?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Rookie

StreetCarp's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmetalbooze
i guess one simple question for Pats fans is, did Carter play OLB for them in 3-4 packages?
By the time we started using 3-4, he was out for the season. It was pretty much all 4-3 until the comeback started in Denver, the game in which Carter was lost early. If anything, before the injury, Carter played end in 3-man fronts but only on obvious passing downs.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCarp
By the time we started using 3-4, he was out for the season. It was pretty much all 4-3 until the comeback started in Denver, the game in which Carter was lost early. If anything, before the injury, Carter played end in 3-man fronts but only on obvious passing downs.
thanks for that.

if you were me, what base D would you give the Pats in Madden, and would you make any position switches based on real life (e.g. if you go 4-3 as base, do you make a 3-4 end a DT in the 4-3)?

thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »