Home

Commentary Poll

This is a discussion on Commentary Poll within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Whaat do you think Madden should do with their commentating?
Keep both Gus and Chris 20 40.00%
Keep only Chris 5 10.00%
Keep only Gus 1 2.00%
Get rid of them both 24 48.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by inojoking
get rid of all commentary and go to a real NFL game and listen too the sounds there. Then make the game sound like you are at and actual NFL stadium since we are simulating "playing" a game and not simulating "watching" a game on tv. This is the problem with Both Ncaa and Madden sound devs. Its like im some where in between my TV and the Stadium like purgatory or something.
Except that the intent obviously is that you are playing a TV broadcast outside of the superstar modes...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Commentary Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think EA should just make the commentary better as well.
Im just not sure the person they hired is that qualified!! Haha, jk bro! You'll do much better with it, than the guys in the past. I have faith in you!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
get rid of all commentary and go to a real NFL game and listen too the sounds there. Then make the game sound like you are at and actual NFL stadium since we are simulating "playing" a game and not simulating "watching" a game on tv. This is the problem with Both Ncaa and Madden sound devs. Its like im some where in between my TV and the Stadium like purgatory or something.
I think your point may be slightly off course but also valid. In general, I think most sports games go for a broadcast feel before a stadium feel. And, I do think you want to capture a "broadcast" presentation feel before a "in stadium" feel because that is what most folks experience and know (plus, I'd argue football in general is more fun to watch on TV than at the stadium) -- so we'll disagree there -- but it's legitimate in that the sound has been caught in a weird middle ground in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Im just not sure the person they hired is that qualified!! Haha, jk bro! You'll do much better with it, than the guys in the past. I have faith in you!
Famous last words.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think your point may be slightly off course but also valid. In general, I think most sports games go for a broadcast feel before a stadium feel. And, I do think you want to capture a "broadcast" presentation feel before a "in stadium" feel because that is what most folks experience and know (plus, I'd argue football in general is more fun to watch on TV than at the stadium) -- so we'll disagree there -- but it's legitimate in that the sound has been caught in a weird middle ground in the past.

Famous last words.
I'll agree with that it is more fun to watch on TV. But the thing is I think it has relied to much on the commentary to bring the game alive in the past and commentary in a video game can only be dynamic to a certain point since it is all pre-recorded. But with crowd chants, PA chatter, sideline cuts with coaches talking, and eliminating all the dead spots in audio when you turn commentary off the audio will be on point. I mean the atmosphere of the NFL at a game is like a big sunday afternoon party. All the music is not event driven as alot they play a ton of different stuff to amp the crowd up. Even with the event driven audio would the possibly to add your own sounds like NCAA ever come to the game? This has really saved that games audio for me as i swear they have had the same commentary since i graduated highschool in 2000!!! Also i dont want to come off as completely whiny either. I am really enjoying Madden 12 this year and Ncaa.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Keep the announcers and get them better lines, scripts, branching points, and more flow/natural banter-like transitions. Make them more aware of who's doing what (Vernon Davis did not THROW the pass, he CAUGHT the pass, so don't talk about him like he's a QB...)

Oh and when one asks a question (What do you think they need to do to get back into the game, Chris?) make sure the other answers.

Clean that up - then worry about the voice talent, imo.

Quote:

Options, they aren't just for Wall Street.

Give players an option for this sound mode. Immersion is not universal and for some players, this kind of ambiance would be more immersive than the "you're watching it on TV" approach.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
TheSaints7

OVR:

Improve the scripts and technology but also get a different commentary team or at least give us two sets of commentary teams like FIFA 12. I am sick of hearing Gus Johnsons voice, get a new team in and improve the script.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
I'll agree with that it is more fun to watch on TV. But the thing is I think it has relied to much on the commentary to bring the game alive in the past and commentary in a video game can only be dynamic to a certain point since it is all pre-recorded. But with crowd chants, PA chatter, sideline cuts with coaches talking, and eliminating all the dead spots in audio when you turn commentary off the audio will be on point. I mean the atmosphere of the NFL at a game is like a big sunday afternoon party. All the music is not event driven as alot they play a ton of different stuff to amp the crowd up. Even with the event driven audio would the possibly to add your own sounds like NCAA ever come to the game? This has really saved that games audio for me as i swear they have had the same commentary since i graduated highschool in 2000!!! Also i dont want to come off as completely whiny either. I am really enjoying Madden 12 this year and Ncaa.
Well, that I can get more on board with. I certainly agree that commentary can't solve all audio ills.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Banned

SBTx's Arena

OVR: 1

I say go with voice actors much like 2K did. Their commentary was much better and flowed better. I mean, look at NBA 2K's commentary.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »