Home

*IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside)

This is a discussion on *IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: *IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside)

I also don't think it takes any longer for a QB to throw the ball with a higher trajectory. It takes longer for them to throw harder, yes, but to throw higher? I don't believe that's the case.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

As I've suggested in the past (and this year), we need a trajectory gauge during practice. NOT during the game. I don't want that taking up screen real estate, and I don't want it distracting me. However, give us a trajectory read-out in practice mode so we can see what we're doing when we throw the ball and learn better touch.

Last edited by Broncos86; 02-07-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

I dont think thats a bad idea, its not any different than the mechanism we use now, its just expanded upon. I think with time a simple adjustment or change like this would be accepted. With practice you wouldnt even have to use the guage on the bottom of the screen, you would just know.

The problem to address after this would be how poorly qb differentiation is in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

What I don't understand is why the speed of my throw doesn't affect the arc to the degree it should ...

Obviously if I gun a pass it should be relatively flat. If I basically tap the button it should float.

But if I throw a pass that has a decent speed to it (what I would assume is a normal throw) it still gets knocked down by a LB in the seam playing zone, even if the WR is 8 yards past him. I've done all the priority changes, etc and it has opened up things for me a bit. I can now throw slants without uber-LB miracle plays.

But it's still not fixed. IMO what EA needs to do is program in arcs for types of throws by default and let the speed of the throw determine variation.

A 15-yd out has a certain type of trajectory. Each QB might have a variation but I wouldn't think it's statistically significant. So does a slant, a fade, a post, etc depending on how far away the receiver is from the QB. This should be how Madden operates by default.

For the same reason that if my WR runs a 50-yd post pattern the ball isn't 10 feet in the air the whole way. They know that much. So why have they messed up the rest so badly?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard
Although it might work I'm not a big fan of what could become a mini-game within the game. Also I would think this could potentially slow the throwing motion down to give yourself time to read the meter which wouldn't be a good thing.

The most simple fix would be a higher trajectory automatically on deeper balls or limit the how tight the arc is when the button is held down for the entirety of the throw.

I think the real problem is that people instinctively hold the button down on deeper throws thinking it adds velocity (which it might) to the ball when in fact it also lowers the arc leading to more blocked balls.

Unless its a lob ball speed should be there on normal throws as well as quick zippers in between defenders.
No, the issue is BOTH the linebackers and the speed/trajectory of the "middle trajectory" throw describe by the OP. the problem with madden and ncaa is its incredibly hard, almost impossible to throw to a receiver that you dont have direct line of sight with. And while I kno its not simple to throw over defenders, it is flat out WRONG when receivers 15/20 yards downfield are essentially defended by linebackers who are standing spy positions or hook zones.

The issue with the linebackers is that they have a half spherical jumping range from a standing position of an olympian on steroids. They can literally jump up, left, right, or even BACKWARDS from a standstill. And they can make plays on balls thrown to places they were already running away from. Its not football.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Why don't they use the AWR to determine trajectory? Higher AWR, the QB knows what kind of throw he needs to make; Lower AWR, the QB tends to force bad throws. This would make up for users being able to use low AWR QBs with no penalty.

Would help with using lesser talented vets over rookies. The rookies might be more talented but their lack of experience will lead to poor decisions when throwing. And guys like Grossman will have low AWR simply cause they just sling it everywhere regardless of what the coverage may look like.

Also, adding a release rating would be nice. Would at least allow QBs to feel different from each other, given that most use the same throwing motion.

Last edited by TMJOHNS18; 02-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Banned

goravens2052's Arena

OVR: 3

I like the idea of tying it with Awareness but also, I'm surprised nobody has suggested this. Why not have EA motion capture the ball better. Have Quarterbacks throw short passes, medium passes and deep passes with the ball set up to be motion captured on all throws. That way the ball motion is fixed but also it could help with the arc as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goravens2052
I like the idea of tying it with Awareness but also, I'm surprised nobody has suggested this. Why not have EA motion capture the ball better. Have Quarterbacks throw short passes, medium passes and deep passes with the ball set up to be motion captured on all throws. That way the ball motion is fixed but also it could help with the arc as well.
Hmmm, they'd have to do that with a righty, lefty and righty/lefty sidearm guys....madden/ncaa need to get in touch with the Tiger woods people. They have built a game with a myriad of ball trajectories and spins. Not all passes reach the peak of the arc at the halfway point of the distance it travels. Some passes are thrown with more of an overhand motion than others.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »