Home

*IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside)

This is a discussion on *IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #33
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: *IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside)

Here are some examples:

Lob, as you can see the ball travels out of the screen over the bleachers

Bullet, barely getting over the bleacher fence

Touch, about middle-high bleachers

------------------------------
Videos I posted in another thread:
LB has to turn and run, in before safety

Over the DB in Zone Chillin'

Flood Right, Over the DB playing shallow

Over the LB, Between the Safeties
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #34
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

I know those videos are just showing the ball trajectories, but watch the db lined up over the wr in the vid labeled "Over the db in zone chillin".

He's like, "Wait for it, wait for it, ok he caught now I'll tackle him." The db/wr interaction just needs work to me.

I'd also like to see a lot more control on where I can throw that pass. If it was me, I would've preferred to throw it more to the wr's left on that pass. There's a lot more space over there and no defenders.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #35
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Ok, on the video titled "LB has to turn and run, in before safety", it didn't seem to me that the LB needed to turn and run. It would have made more sense for him to step back a little and attempt to swat the ball given that he was looking right at the QB and pass. I see that play a lot in Madden, where a defender is looking directly at the QB and presumably the ball but they suddenly head for the intended receiver instead of making a play on the ball. However, at other times, when the defender isn't looking at the QB or pass and should presumably have no idea where the balls is, they somehow make a play for the ball.

I went in practice mode to try and find the sweet spot for touch passes and it seemed to me then that, "touch passes" were not about placing the ball in the right spot but more about triggering a certain response from defenders or preset outcomes on the play. What I mean is, even in looking at your videos, the various trajectories seem to dictate what a defender will do to prevent a completion versus what he potentially can do in relation to where the ball is placed.

In real life, defenders are looking to make plays on the ball and a QB has to attempt to place the ball in such a way that the defender, try as they might, can't get to it. It seems in Madden, pass trajectory may very well be yet another programming short cut, that attempts to provide a potentially realistic outcome without the realistic process.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #36
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
I swear I don't have this ball trajectory problem. Right now, Tap is Lob, Hold is bullet, and in between is touch...i don't understand why i can do it but others cant.
Is there really an in-between functionality? If so, I've never noticed it over the years. Outside of precision passing, I just always figured there to be two types of passes: lob or bullet.

I know the face buttons are pressure sensitive, but I'd have to think there's not enough cushion there for an in-between functionality. I could be wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
The best idea in my opinion is simply to tune the reaction time of the defenders (make the ratings matter) and lower the jumping ability of the linebackers while also changing their vision. Players simply can't make the accurate defenses to passes IRL like they can in madden.
exactly...

I again gave 2K5 a test run this morning just to see how LBs in zone react to passes coming their way. While they do make plays on the ball, they're not of the jump-swat variety.

I do think trajectory needs examination for the simple fact too many times defenders 10 yards off the placement of the ball are making plays. But outside of that, I don't know how much of an issue it truly is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I'd also like to see a lot more control on where I can throw that pass. If it was me, I would've preferred to throw it more to the wr's left on that pass. There's a lot more space over there and no defenders.
I think 'precision passing' needs to be more pronounced and emphasized more in the passing game. Assuming they're unable to revamp the standard passing controls, then make it so that the directional stick gives us access to passes that we can't throw today.

Example: if a receiver is on a go route on the left sideline, if I lead left, make that a back-shoulder pass.

Today, while precision passing does work, it's not as big a part of the passing game as it potentially could be.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #37
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

I know the face buttons are pressure sensitive, but I'd have to think there's not enough cushion there for an in-between functionality. I could be wrong...
Only on PS3. Not 360. And I don't know if Madden/NCAA take advantage of the PS3 buttons.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #38
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Example: if a receiver is on a go route on the left sideline, if I lead left, make that a back-shoulder pass.

Today, while precision passing does work, it's not as big a part of the passing game as it potentially could be.
can you even see the receiver on that side of the field tho? Also, it seems like years ago, after they first implemented precision passing, they changed the axis that the precision passing was positioned on. I swear, it might have been the Ray Lewis or Michael Vick cover of the game, where the precision passing was on an X, Z axis, not X-Y. So when I hit UP on the left stick, the ball was placed further in front of the reciever, not HIGH in the air forcing them to jump (as it is setup now). I know it sounds like "wut, that was never in the game", but it was, I remember because one year, it changed and it took me forever to get used to a new system.....

Passing just doesn't work the way a human sees the game. When I see defenders running away from where I want to throw, they shouldn't be able to get back into that space, that's simple physics.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 8

Not sure this idea will 'fix' the issue... Passing in Madden is as instinctive an exercise as it is in real life, we just use a different process to achieve it.

While Madden players are eyeballing the meter to get their trajectory right - they are getting crushed by the rush. Meanwhile, players like myself who have integrated the feel of the Madden passing interface into the fabric of our being - don't need the meter.

IMO, and this has been proven time and time again, is to rebuild a player's passing mechanics from the ground up beginning with the pass drop, and practicing throwing the ball to various locations. Adding each item ONLY AFTER perfecting the preceding item... It's the only sure fire way I've found to eliminate mistakes.

Later
Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #40
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

i'm not here to "defend" Madden. But, I does annoy me a bit when others criticize about something that's there. The touch passes were in the games last year also (PS3).

Now, your other points do make sense. I've never played football so I don't know the intricacies of the game...but, the CPU doesn't make "mistakes" in their animation selection..for example, the don't jump unless they are going to swat it, guaranteed. So, to offset, he turns and runs on balls he can't reach. Which i'm assuming isn't "what would happen"...however, the outcome is the same as if he jumped and missed....so I'm ok with that mostly b/c I'm not cheated.

Or when the defender "let" me catch it...there is no PI to be called if he got there early...and i don't know if his traits for Play Ball in Air is on Conservative or Aggressive...however, Reggie Wayne CIT is 94 and WRs dont attack the pass..if it was a scrub he may have dropped it.....I'm ok with the outcome...could it look and flow better...but i wasn't cheated, so i'm ok with it. Or with sliders, it could be a small bump to reaction time or interceptions to easily change what happens there.

As far as precision passing, I begin tilting the left stick before i press the corresponding receiver buttons instead of the other way around.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »