Home

*IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside)

This is a discussion on *IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Rookie

DUDERMAN's Arena

OVR: 0
*IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside)

I've read all the complaints about the "super linebackers". I believe, like many of you, that there are no exaggerated jumping linebackers in Madden and instead are a product of poor ball trajectory.

From what I can tell, there are only 3 different types of passes:
1. hold down the button for low trajectory, quick pass
2. tap button for a high trajectory, long pass
3. somewhere in between the two based on how long the button is held.

I was thinking during a game about how this could be fixed and found a way that seems so obvious that I'm surprised they haven't implemented it before.

When you press the button to pass to your receiver (lets say B or circle) a small window should pop up in the lower left or right hand corner of the screen. In this window, it should show a curve indicating the exact trajectory the ball will take. There will be a meter that moves from left to right as long as you hold down the button to pass. As you hold down the button, the curve will adjust and increase. This should emulate the arm's throwing motion.

Now here is where people may have a problem adjusting. Since it is based on the arm moving, it makes more sense that a tap of the button will throw a quick pass and a long hold will get you a higher trajectory (the exact opposite as it is now).

Ideally, you would want the meter to work similar to the active reload in Gears of War. For those that aren't familiar with that game, whenever you press the reload button a meter will pop up and you must hit the reload button again when it hits a certain part of the meter in order to "active reload" (makes your bullets stronger).

So when you select your receiver to pass to it should show you the best possible spot to release the button. This defined "perfect pass" area could be determined by difficulty, QB rating, and/or DPP.

On top of this, they would need to create a release rating for QBs to help with the realism.

I'm not the best at explaining things so I figure I will just show you my idea. I made a very rough draft of what I think it should look like in game. Obviously Madden's art department could make it look much nicer.

So let me know what you guys think.

Eagles | Phillies | Flyers | Sixers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: *IDEA* Easy Ball Trajectory Fix (picture inside)

Although it might work I'm not a big fan of what could become a mini-game within the game. Also I would think this could potentially slow the throwing motion down to give yourself time to read the meter which wouldn't be a good thing.

The most simple fix would be a higher trajectory automatically on deeper balls or limit the how tight the arc is when the button is held down for the entirety of the throw.

I think the real problem is that people instinctively hold the button down on deeper throws thinking it adds velocity (which it might) to the ball when in fact it also lowers the arc leading to more blocked balls.

Unless its a lob ball speed should be there on normal throws as well as quick zippers in between defenders.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

GENIUS !!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

The only way this would work is if the slowed down the throwing motion to accommodate, which would result in way too many sacks, and interceptions.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Rookie

DUDERMAN's Arena

I don't think it needs to slow down the game at all. As I said, it should mimic the throwing motion (timing wise). So if you want a quick pass, just tap the button. If it's a quick slant, the game would tell you to release quickly anyway. In just 1 sec of time (about how long it takes to throw the quick pass now in Madden) you could react to the meter moving across. If you can't, then maybe they can slow it down for pro and rookie modes.

Any gamer playing on all pro or all madden shouldn't have any problem reacting in that timing window. Eventually over time, you will get the feel for how long it needs to be held so you won't need to look. Gamers can adept pretty quickly.

In the real NFL, it takes more time and a longer throwing motion to throw a ball with a higher trajectory.

Having the meter show where to release could be optional but would be a nice aid to help people get use to the new system. This would give you FULL control on the trajectory of every pass.

The way I see it, this would fix one major problem with the passing game. The next thing that would need a fix would be throwing to a spot before a receiver makes his cut.

Last edited by DUDERMAN; 02-06-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I commend you for the picture showing just how non invasive the meter could be but it still seems too visibly arcadey, imo.

Of course we all have our own opinions on how to improve pass trajectory and mine is to scrap icon/button passing. Therefore allowing those buttons to be used to represent various types of attempted throws, (lob, bullet, touch, back shoulder, throw away, shovel), the left stick to control pass location (high, low, left, right) and the right analog stick directions (left, right, up down and push) could be used to select/lock on to different receivers.

The discouraging thing is that with all the ideas that abound, Madden still has yet to adequately address this. Maybe this year they will.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
I'd rather have trajectory decided by the right analog stick. I know it's being used to lead the receiver but instead of a button, think of tiger woods golf how you pull back and then push forward to swing. Same could with arm motion.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Rookie

DUDERMAN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard
or limit the how tight the arc is when the button is held down for the entirety of the throw.
This is what my idea is trying to accomplish only with a visual element to aid you.

Don't get too caught up with how it looks, it could easy be made smaller and blend in more with the madden theme. It's not meant to change how you play now in terms of speed, only to give you more freedom with your passes and make it a bit more realistic.

Anyone who has used the kicking meter on all madden knows how fast that can go. If you can react in time for that, you will have no trouble reacting in time with this.

If done correctly, it shouldn't change the speed of the game or allow more sacks. In fact, since I have reversed the button holding mechanics, a quick button press may help you avoid more sacks in the future.

Quote:
I'd rather have trajectory decided by the right analog stick. I know it's being used to lead the receiver but instead of a button, think of tiger woods golf how you pull back and then push forward to swing. Same could with arm motion.
This could be cool but way more complicated. Also, how do you choose your receiver? Do you press a button, then go to the right thumb stick? what if I'm throwing on the run?

My idea is not meant to be the a perfect solution. Just an easy one that I would think could be easily implemented within one development cycle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »