Home

Coach overall rating

This is a discussion on Coach overall rating within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Coach overall rating

Does it have any effect in the game?

I am playing as the Bucs and Raheem Morris's ovr is 34 or something and of course in every sense of the number it means he is absolutely crap.

But does it have any effect when you play games?
Like will my QB's or WR's play worse due to me having a bad coach on the sidelines whilst I am playing, or is it purely a sim stat (or completely cosmetic)?

I am wondering this because if it has effect I will immediately kick Raheem out of my team the first chance I get.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Coach overall rating

This is a post I created earlier today in the "Elephant in the Room" thread re: all things coach options related, also in the main forum:

I had to abandon my 2013 Raiders franchise after opening the season 6-0 and having the FA list somehow become devoid of ANY QBs to fill rosters for injured CPU QBs...

I spent 20 hours meticulously cutting all the 310 guys before 2011, setting the sim coach settings, simming the season, moving ALL the proper coaches to the proper teams, cutting all the 310 guys AGAIN in 2013 pre season, etc...

It was a b*tch to find out that all the VERY FEW remaining FA QBs got snapped up, due to INJ and there was nobody left by week 6...

Not sure how that would play out, but other then Randel EL on the WR list, there were no options left...

The main reason I quit was the coach OVR issue I mentioned a few weeks back...

The Bronco's DC ("Dave Alexander" in the game) comes in as a 72, and after a couple wins, progressed to 100...

I fins, that when your teams OVR hits the 85 range (which it will, even with "house rules") in year two or three, and your coach hits the 90 plus range, NOBODY can beat you...

I restarted with the exact same priorities, styles and sliders with the 82 OVR Bengals (custom week 16 roster) and the 58 rated Marvin Lewis...

TOATALLY different animal...super competitive...

Same thing happened with my three year Skins 'chise...

Took till 2014 to get the team OVR up to 85 and Haslett (as new HC as of 2012) up to 100, but when I did I won the SB...

Bottom line:

All the options / settings available seem to play totally different with different HC OVRs...

Seems to influence EVERYTHING from AWR to penalty frequency...

For me:

Mediocre / Lousy HC = great gameplay...

Top rated HC = easy win snoozefest...

ALL with the exact same settings in EVERY other possible option...

To your question:

I am a firm believer that HC OVR is one of (if not the most) determining factors in franchise...

Overrides team OVR, options and sliders...good or bad, depending on HC OVR...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »