Home

Is using another team's playbook "Not Honorable"? Intense Office Debate

This is a discussion on Is using another team's playbook "Not Honorable"? Intense Office Debate within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Is using another team's playbook "Not Honorable"? Intense Office Debate

I don't really see a problem with it.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #34
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
Custom playbooks are still not usable online right?

no u can use custom ones online i have ppl using them all time against me.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
So... what's your point? They line up in a formation they usually don't line up in. Happens all the time in the NFL, so what's the big deal?

My point is: If you are the Bengals, use their "madden" playbook. Not the Niners playbook cause they have this awesome defesive package! Id love to have some formations that other teams have but I play with what I got. Thats my point. There is a reason the Bengals dnt have that package in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Lastly, anybody can do whatever they want in a video game but that doesn't make it realistic. I get the whole notion of role playing a Head Coach and doing whatever an individual sees fit but without representation of applicable real life risk/rewards to those decisions in a game, it's not realistic or "sim" and therefore "not honorable", imo.
And using a team's playbook is "realistic" or "sim", really? So where is the QB Sweep that Smith ran in the Divisional playoff, or something as simple as the fly sweeps they ran pretty often, I can't find it in the 49ers O PB? And, even more importantly, where are all those 4-3 plays the Pats ran on defense all season long in the Pats D PB? Sticking with the designed Pats D PB won't even let me use the formations the team used all year long, the very formations the personell in the game has been adjusted to.

The fact is, the playbooks as they are are NOT "sim". So how can it be "not honorable" to use a different playbook? Especially since teams work on their playbooks, integrate new plays and stuff all the time in the NFL when they notice their team is suited to run that play, so why is it so much worse to try and find the playbook best suited for your team and use that? Both options, sticking with your team's playbook or using another one, are definitely not "sim"... so why is one of them "honorable" (what's that even supposed to mean?) and the other not?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #37
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Okay, and what if I use the same playbook for all 16 games of the season? Will the penalty get less as they learn the playbook?

I have used the same custom playbook and the 49ers O playbook for the last 5 yrs of my franchise - why would the guys who have been there that long still get a 'penalty' for it?

FBPro 98 handled this correctly. If you switch every week, the internal "playbook familiarity" rating resets. If you switch then stay constant - it goes back up. HC did similarly with the play learning system (except broke it down to each play - not just a overall playbook penalty - which in Madden would make less sense given how many plays are so common to each playbook)
I think the OP is referring to a Play Now or online ranked game against his co-worker, where as I guess you are referring more to team playbooks in Franchise Mode. So there really wouldn't be teams becoming familiar with playbooks, they would have to use their default playbook, just like with the rosters or suffer a applicable ratings penalty on plays foreign to that book.

Also, I don't agree with the bold part seeing as people switch playbooks in Madden so they can find plays that don't exist in their teams default playbook, so adding an applicable ratings penalty to those foreign plays, makes perfect sense, imo.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal1423
My point is: If you are the Bengals, use their "madden" playbook.
So you'd have told someone a couple weeks ago "If you are the Patriots, use their "madden" playbook!" even though it would mean for Mayo to line up at OLB in a 3-4, which has NOTHING to do with how he is used in real life?

The reason why certain teams don't have certain formations is simply because some EA designer didn't put them in there, that's all. Especially on defense, Madden playbooks most of the time have NOTHING to do with how the team plays in reality, yet due to the the roster updates, the player ratings, positions and all that stuff are based EXACTLY on how the team plays every Sunday.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #39
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
And using a team's playbook is "realistic" or "sim", really? So where is the QB Sweep that Smith ran in the Divisional playoff, or something as simple as the fly sweeps they ran pretty often, I can't find it in the 49ers O PB? And, even more importantly, where are all those 4-3 plays the Pats ran on defense all season long in the Pats D PB? Sticking with the designed Pats D PB won't even let me use the formations the team used all year long, the very formations the personell in the game has been adjusted to.

The fact is, the playbooks as they are are NOT "sim". So how can it be "not honorable" to use a different playbook? Especially since teams work on their playbooks, integrate new plays and stuff all the time in the NFL when they notice their team is suited to run that play, so why is it so much worse to try and find the playbook best suited for your team and use that? Both options, sticking with your team's playbook or using another one, are definitely not "sim"... so why is one of them "honorable" (what's that even supposed to mean?) and the other not?
LOL. C'mon Delta, of course not and I already posted this earlier pretty much stating it.
Quote:
I understand what you're saying because team playbooks don't seem to be tailored to each team but each one does offer certain limitations. Being able to switch playbooks in Madden is comparable to being able to change players on any team's roster or edit ratings. Sure you can do it but it takes away from the intended default risk/reward offered from each team having their own playbook.
The playbooks don't seem to be "sim" or realistic but the limitations of default playbooks represent a realistic or "sim" risk/reward for using one team instead of another, similar to what default rosters and ratings do.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
The thing about Portis at returner, we can agree to disagree whether or not real Portis would have had a problem with it but we know some of the other risk/reward factors I listed aren't there but I guess you chose to skip over those. Again, the main point being just because Portis was a good RB doesn't automatically make him a good returner in the NFL and that aspect was not represented in the game.
Then the GAME should represent it. Like I said, if 2k5 didn't represent injury/fatigue - then that's the problem. Not that someone is doing something that is not cheating/hacking (which is what I consider "dishonorable").

And if Portis never returned kicks, we don't know one way or another. There's no statistical or any other proof of it either way.

Yes, not all great HBs are great KR, but not all HB suck as KR either. One doesn't prove the other.

Last edited by KBLover; 02-09-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: cleaned up redundant wording

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »