Home

Is it harder to make a football video game?

This is a discussion on Is it harder to make a football video game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #33
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Is it harder to make a football video game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
The PSA comment was aimed at people who actually know what it's like to WANT to play outside - AKA dudes in their upper 30's. Merely offered as a societal commentary about how times have changed.

There has never been an accurate reflection of the NFL... we shouldn't act like it's been done before because it hasn't. Whether you look at PS2 Madden or some other game as the example - same concerns.

If we look at FBPro, our personal opinion might say the game was great. But if you looked at the message boards, they looked exactly like these. Some helpful people pushing the game to improve, others helping players deal with the status quo, and rif-raff that seek to derail other's enjoyment because theirs wasn't up to par (and various mixes of the three).

Essentially, amateur programmers and their limited experience shouldn't not be indicative of professional programmers... Especially when it comes to satisfaction.

IMO, you get out what you put in. I enjoy this game because I know what it took for me to develop into a competitive player - and I enjoy the preparation as much as the battle. If someone neither likes the preparation nor the battle, we aren't going to enjoy the same game played in the same arena. Likewise, a game that caters to players like myself won't agree with them and a game that caters to players like them will not agree with me.

Show me a programmer with 5 million satisfied consumers and I'll show you a professional programmer. LOL

Later
This statement and others like it, are boderline off topic, imo, because it's just another way of saying "no game is perfect" when there isn't anybody asking for perfection.

While there has of course never been and never will be "an accurate reflection of the NFL", there in FACT has been and continues to be BETTER reflections of the NFL than next gen Madden. We can all have our opinions how enjoyable and competitive next gen Madden is but that doesn't change that fact.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #34
Pro

OVR: 5

Sure football is complex but there are many much more complex software made everyday. The exclusive license and good sales numbers means that EA has no incentive to invest in more R&D to make a good football game.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #35
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isura
Sure football is complex but there are many much more complex software made everyday. The exclusive license and good sales numbers means that EA has no incentive to invest in more R&D to make a good football game.
I don't know about incentive, but there does seem to be a lack of investment in R&D. From the poor sound quality, unfinished online franchise, lack of overall game modes compared to ps2 and poor implementation of things like protak that this game just feels underfunded for a game that's top 5 in sales.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #36
Rookie

SnakeEyez's Arena

OVR: 6

If Madden could ever get on the same level as NBA 2k or FIFA it would be one of the best sports sims ever developed.... but this franchise is just so far off from that, and it has wasted most of the current console generation already.

There's just so much about how those games look, sound, and move when compared to Madden that makes you wonder what happened.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #37
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Anyone looking for the perfect football game can pretty much stop playing video games entirely. Bringing it up is pointless. Moreover, people seem to have this misconception that "simulator" means a pinpoint-accurate representation. This isn't true. A simulator attempts to emulate or imitate the real thing. The word "imitate" should say to you that it isn't the genuine article. Additionally, the phrase "accurate depiction" is relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I don't know about incentive, but there does seem to be a lack of investment in R&D. From the poor sound quality, unfinished online franchise, lack of overall game modes compared to ps2 and poor implementation of things like protak that this game just feels underfunded for a game that's top 5 in sales.
Some think that EA is this Golden Cow of money, but most don't realize that EA has limped through some years. In recent years, EA's profit margin never rose above 0% (0% meaning they broke even).

Last edited by Broncos86; 02-14-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3

Madden 06 -12 have not measured up to Madden 05 or nfl 2k5 on the ps2 and regular xbox when it comes to fun factor, presenatation and playability! I know that many people will call me crazy and stupid and every other adjective you can imagine for saying this but I truly believe if 2k released an updated generic version of 2k5 with full customization options on xbox live arcade for 19.99 that they would sell millions.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #39
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Some think that EA is this Golden Cow of money, but most don't realize that EA has limped through some years. In recent years, EA's profit margin never rose above 0% (0% meaning they broke even).
True, but it's also no secret that EA paid a really obscene amount of money securing exclusive access to the NFL, ESPN, NCAA, and the AFL.

EA could have over paid for the licensing, they could have cut back on R&D to improve their poor profit margin, they could be cutting back on R&D to help ensure they always have something better for next year's game, they may lack incentive like Isura suggested, or they may actually well fund their R&D but lack talented developers to make a great game.

There's a lot of possible reason this game seems to lack development spending, and I don't know why it is the way it is. I was just agreeing with the other poster than Madden just doesn't appear to spend the same as others do in this area.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #40
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
True, but it's also no secret that EA paid a really obscene amount of money securing exclusive access to the NFL, ESPN, NCAA, and the AFL.

EA could have over paid for the licensing, they could have cut back on R&D to improve their poor profit margin, they could be cutting back on R&D to help ensure they always have something better for next year's game, they may lack incentive like Isura suggested, or they may actually well fund their R&D but lack talented developers to make a great game.

There's a lot of possible reason this game seems to lack development spending, and I don't know why it is the way it is. I was just agreeing with the other poster than Madden just doesn't appear to spend the same as others do in this area.
The problem is that you have Suits and you have the development team. That is a MAJOR disconnect. The Suits answer to the stockholders. The Suits don't care one bit about making a realistic, excellent football game. They care about making a profit. And to them, Madden will make a profit every year. So why spend more money on something that is going to be your major cash cow anyways? If you go back to them and say "it's a better product," they're going to say "so what?" Take a company like 2K Sports, they're gunning for #1. They have every reason to push the envelop.

EA has had this terrible trend of simply buying companies. They're terrible about it. Instead of focusing on specific games and making them truly great, the EA Suits would rather just buy studios and hope they pump out winners. Maxis, Bioware, etc. It's ridiculous. There doesn't seem to be anyone at the top who is interested in making great games. It reminds me of what happened to Apple during the late 80s and 90s. Guys like Sculley and Spindler were more concerned with moving money around and profit/loss than making great products.

That's why it can be really tough as a development studio like Tiburon when you want to do all these amazing things, and you just don't have the resources available.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »