Home

Old 05-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #33
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: 46 Defense

No, C-Los has 89 man coverage. T. Brown has 88 man coverage.

They are not terrible, but they are not good enough for most teams receivers who have 90+... or at least most of the good teams. Basically, you can beat up on bad teams and have to call zone all day against good teams.

Wasn't the nickle sub in Madden 11 basically a 46-nickle look?

It sure looks like a 46 nickle if that were possible. Imagine a 3-3-5 over with the OLB's hand in the dirt with a single high safety and the SS in the box. It technically uses two Strong Safeties as the 2nd one is lined up where the nickle corner would be. Makes me wish/want to put Taylor Maye back on the 49ers and use him with Donte wHITner.

Last edited by PGaither84; 05-29-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
No, C-Los has 89 man coverage. T. Brown has 88 man coverage.
Hmm...I don't see that in my 49ers franchise - must be out of date rosters. I remember seeing it and saying "guess I'm using zone". I wouldn't say that with an 89 MCV - that's above average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
It sure looks like a 46 nickle if that were possible. Imagine a 3-3-5 over with the OLB's hand in the dirt with a single high safety and the SS in the box. It technically uses two Strong Safeties as the 2nd one is lined up where the nickle corner would be. Makes me wish/want to put Taylor Maye back on the 49ers and use him with Donte wHITner.
Heh, that's about how I used Taylor Mays when he was a starting in my franchise. I even changed his position to LB and put him as OLB. He was awesome at it - best 60-something OVR player I have. He was still on the team when he retired last season - still getting use as a 53 OVR.

I'm going to have to play around with it, no doubt.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Well, I just tried game one with HOU and I was very happy with the results. I faced Manning and sacked him 4 times and picked him off once without doing any of the super adjustments shenanigans.

I wound up losing, but it was mostly because Schaub threw 3 picks, two of which led directly to scores, Wayne caught a TD off a tipped pass by Quinn, and I had one careless play where Clark was matched up with Reed 1-1.

I stayed in the 46 Bear or 46 Normal 75% of the time, even vs. 3 wide sets, and I found the defense to be flexible enough to work, more so than I thought.

There were a couple of things that stood out as important after that game. First, you HAVE to have a SS who can cover 1-1, no ifs, ands, or buts. You also have to make sure assignments wise that your SS gets the TE and your OLB gets the RB. If you can do those two things every play that you call man coverage, the defense will work pretty well.

I didn't press reallyoat all, and I didn't need to for the most part. Joseph blanketed Wayne very well, and my other corners held up well because the top two have 80+ MCV and speed in the 90s, while the third has high 80s speed and 80+ MCV.

If I were to make this defense perfect, I'd have my third LB be a carbon copy of Ryans and Cushing, who both move in space and cover at the same level.

And as for making the RDE matter, Super Mario had a sack, more than one knockdown, and 5 tackles or so. He gets a free run sometimes just because of the call, and he gets more if you slant or shift the line in conjunction with a blitz call.

PG, that nickel D does look like a 46-based thing. The 46 book has its own 3-3-5 that attacks the line more than the regular 3-3-5. There's also the standard nickel and nickel strong.

KB, I'd say convert a LB or nab a SS with some coverage ability. Pollard and Zibs scream "burn me" in that scheme. With the rush talent you have on that team, you won't have to cover forever, but I'd still be scared to put either of those guys on the field.

Ray Ray would do some SICK things in that defense. Demeco Ryans had 7 tackles, a sack, and a FF in game one. I can't wait to see what he does over the course of the year.

On a side note, Andre Johnson broke some ribs and went down for 4 weeks on like the 3rd play of the game, and Owen Daniels suffered a career-ending broken vertebra late in the 4th after putting up 175 yards
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #36
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

His body type is pretty much that of an OLB, like 10 lbs lighter.

That's what's silly about some of Madden's player models. If they are linebackers, they look like hulks, if they are lineman they look like Gilbert Brown. If they are Safetes, they look more human. I liked how the defualt rosters for madden 11 made Patrick Willi look. After some season update and forward KANE made linebackers look monstrous.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
KB, I'd say convert a LB or nab a SS with some coverage ability. Pollard and Zibs scream "burn me" in that scheme. With the rush talent you have on that team, you won't have to cover forever, but I'd still be scared to put either of those guys on the field.
Oh yeah, no way I'd go with those two! Noooooo I'm freaky sometimes, but I'm no masochist!

I might would convert a LB or if I have a physical corner, I might would try that too - not that I think any of those are on the squad either. Where's my second coming of Ronnie Lott when I need him. *sigh*

Quote:
Ray Ray would do some SICK things in that defense. Demeco Ryans had 7 tackles, a sack, and a FF in game one. I can't wait to see what he does over the course of the year.
Ryans is awesome. In my TB franchise - he was one of the best LBs. He'd be that awesome LB no one talks about, but you look up at see his numbers are awesome and are like "wow, never knew he did THAT!

I hated going against him.

Quote:
On a side note, Andre Johnson broke some ribs and went down for 4 weeks on like the 3rd play of the game, and Owen Daniels suffered a career-ending broken vertebra late in the 4th after putting up 175 yards
Yikes! Man, that's rough...
Old 05-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #38
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Red face Re: 46 Defense

The 46 Bear has evolved into the fire zone blitz basically. The original aim of the bear was to not only overwhem the line, but create the illusion of more people rushing the passer than there actually was. That was what Dick Jeron and guys like Dom Capers were shooting for with their modifications of the 3-4, and that is the main drive of the fire zone blitz. Like in the 46 there is a nose tackle, and often you will see the ends NOT lining up directly over the tackles in today's 3-4 fronts. You will see much movement at the snap, but not all of that is blitzers, because the aim is to create the ILLUSION of bringing more pressure than you are.

Of all the teams I watch on a regular basis, the Ravens capture the spirit of the 46 the most as far as 3-4 teams go. However, the Saints (used to) do a great deal of old school 46 stuff with slight modifications, rather than the modern 3-4 evolution. But for the most part, the 3-4 fire zone blitz is today's 46 Bear. You will still see the oroginal front occassionally, but not often.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Funny enough, there's an article today on the NFL.com homepage on the Jets possible implementation of more 46 schemes. Don't call it a comeback . . .
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #40
Rookie

T-Moar's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Funny enough, there's an article today on the NFL.com homepage on the Jets possible implementation of more 46 schemes. Don't call it a comeback . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_MyTime
It amazes me the convos that go on regarding some of the most worthless stuff in this game. If you want throwback stuff play APF.
Heh heh heh...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »