Home

Old 02-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
46 Defense

I don't think there are any teams that run a 46-Bear defense, but I would like to implement it as my base defense. Unfortunately, there are only a few 46 bear plays and we can no longer create plays or formations (as far as I know). Anyway, I have two questions:

1) Why does no team on the NFL run a 46 Bear defense?

2) What happened to creating plays?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Rookie

elijah53johnston's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 46 Defense

i think the ravens run some form of it,but it is not popular because with all the spread offenses it doesnt match up well. I wish they would bring back create a play as well. It was one of my favorite features.
on a side note i do run the 46 with my texans franchise so if you have any questions just ask.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
I don't think there are any teams that run a 46-Bear defense, but I would like to implement it as my base defense. Unfortunately, there are only a few 46 bear plays and we can no longer create plays or formations (as far as I know). Anyway, I have two questions:

1) Why does no team on the NFL run a 46 Bear defense?

2) What happened to creating plays?
In 1985, offenses were more condensed, ran things more out of pro sets. There wasn't the multiple/spread stuff that you see today, and there were a lot more 7 step drops, which played to the strength of the 46, which was about crowding the LOS and overwhelming the offense with numbers. Then Bill Walsh killed it with the West Coast, short, quick passing.

You can't run the Bear as an every down base because offenses have too much multiplicity. Modern offenses are built around "check with me's" where called run plays turn into quick passes, which is the Achilles Heel of the Bear. Quarterbacks don't hold onto the ball anymore, and your coverage options are limited in the Bear. Modern defenses are more and more becoming about Sub packages.

The Bear hasn't totally gone away. Teams still flash it as a change up. Tennessee ran it with Fisher; they still flash it with Jerry Gray, in fact, they still have it in their Madden 12 playbook. Gregg Williams toys around with it, the Ryan brothers, Wade Phillips, etc., but you need too much specialized personnel to run it as a base from press corners, big skilled down linemen who can play head up on o-linemen, yet are skilled enough to rush, a tweener safety/linebacker who can play in the box and cover, outside linebackers with pass rushing skills, etc.

To your second question. Create-a-play is in the same place as all the other neat amenities we used to take for granted, in last gen.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Pro

That's why I started running the 46 Bear a lot this season. In the offseason I picked up Sam Acho who was Defensive MVP and is a good combination of pass rusher and cover LB. I also have Jon Beason and James Anderson who are solid LBs. at safety, I have Taylor Mays play in the box S he's a good combination of size, speed and tackling ability. My other safety, Charles Godfrey, plays deep because he has great speed an coverage skill. Both of my DEs are great pass rushers with over 90 overall ratings and 10+ sacks last season. Charles Johnson is more of a balanced, power guy while I have Courtney Upshaw on the right side who is more of a pure pass rusher. I think my team actually has the perfect combination of players to run the 46 Bear. Obviously, there are only a limited number of plays in that defense, but I have been using it at least 10 times a game and have had pretty good success with it.

@Elijah53, what team do you use and what Personnel do you use in your 46 Bear scheme?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Rookie

elijah53johnston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
@Elijah53, what team do you use and what Personnel do you use in your 46 Bear scheme?
I use the Texans, but i am now in year 3 so my defense looks a little different.
LE: Melvin Ingram(drafted)
RE: JJ Watt
DT: Phil Taylor and Jerrel Powe
LOLB: Brooks Reed
MLB: Brian Cushing
ROLB: Mario Williams-i am looking for a replacement here, so I can move him to LE
CB: Jonathan Joseph and Dre Kirpatrick(drafted)
FS: Damien Williams(drafted)
SS: Bacarri Rambo(drafted)

at LE i look for the traditional pass rusher
at DT anybody can really fit in
at RE i go for a more 3-4 style end because they usually line up more inside than a traditonal 4-3 end
LOLB: i look for a pass rusher
MLB: really important to have a stud here
ROLB: anyone really fits
CB: need to be lockdown and excel at man because they are one on one alot.
FS: probaly most important position since they are your only deep guy and is the last line of defense due to the SS playing like a linebacker.
SS: i look for a LB that is really fast and excels in coverage or a SS that is bigger and can tackle really well
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah53johnston
i think the ravens run some form of it,but it is not popular because with all the spread offenses it doesnt match up well. I wish they would bring back create a play as well. It was one of my favorite features.
I was under the impression the Ryans brothers still ran their Dad's defense. What defense do the "best team in New York" and "America's Team" run?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Pro

If I'm not mistaken, the Ryan brothers both run a 3-4 Multiple front defense.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Rookie

elijah53johnston's Arena

the ryan brothers still use it as a package i believe, but they run the 3-4 as their base d

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »