Home

Madden 12 worth it?

This is a discussion on Madden 12 worth it? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Madden 12 worth it?

How close was the demo to the actual game? I downloaded the demo tonight and played it for the first time... and ugh... just ugh.

All-Pro I destroyed the Packers 26-0. On All-Madden It was 21-7 and they scored on a fumble return.

I played on Very Slow and the game felt faster than Madden 11's normal mode. It felt smother, which I liked... but still very arcady. I controlled Peppers exclusively on defense and had two sacks in two games and one knock down. Most of the time I was sucked into that bump animation by the LT, even though there isn't supposed to be any suction blocking/tackling. Also there was lot of morphing through players. Once Forte was hit by Matthews, but it wasn't a tackle and Forte flew sideways across the LoS for about 4 or 5 yards and was suddenly in the clearing to run straight ahead while I watched a conga line form behind him.

There were some WOW moments alright... as in WOW, I can't believe I was actually thinking about buying Madden this weekend.

Last edited by PGaither84; 02-17-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
How close was the demo to the actual game? I downloaded the demo tonight and played it for the first time... and ugh... just ugh.

All-Pro I destroyed the Packers 26-0. On All-Madden It was 21-7 and they scored on a fumble return.

I played on Very Slow and the game felt faster than Madden 11's normal mode. It felt smother, which I liked... but still very arcady. I controlled Peppers exclusively on defense and had two sacks in two games and one knock down. Most of the time I was sucked into that bump animation by the LT, even though there isn't supposed to be any suction blocking/tackling. Also there was lot of morphing through players. Once Forte was hit by Matthews, but it wasn't a tackle and Forte flew sideways across the LoS for about 4 or 5 yards and was suddenly in the clearing to run straight ahead while I watched a conga line form behind him.

There were some WOW moments alright... as in WOW, I can't believe I was actually thinking about buying Madden this weekend.
Sliders make all the difference
Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0

if you can get it for 20-30 bucks on craigslist or ebay sure

50 , 60 not worth it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
Rookie

Hello,

Yes Yes off course it is one of fantastic football game... one of my favorite console game which i have ever played...
Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84

Certain things that I had to do to play the game and still enjoy it as of this post.

1) Get a great slider set.

2) Play on very slow and on the zoomed camera angle.

The default camera is awful on 12.

The tackling is arcady. No question. And I also can't stand the sucked in LT/DE animation...it makes playing DE pointless.

The game still has a lot of room for improvement. But it is by far the best iteration on this console and quite frankly may be the best version of this game overall along with the last gen Madden 05 and 07. For me 10 and 11 are unplayable. I am still playing which is something I can't say about 10 and 11. I shelved those by December.

Madden 12 is no doubt fun and a solid effort. Not great or groundbreaking in the least but very playable with some customization effort.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 02-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

It's just one example, but there are many like it:

I had an XY Post/Out route combination from the shotgun. At the snap I read cover two hard and tried to hit my post receiver after he got off of the press and right before his cut... except I'm not playing 2k8... so Aaron threw a go route right to the safety instead of where he SHOULD have thrown it for a nice gain and maybe even a TD.

I am also frustrated by the pre-snap player controls. I am trying to switch my guy to the ILB [AJ hawk] and the game selects every player around him. When I cycle throughthe players, he isn't part of the normal front 7 cycle, and when I hold the button and use the L Stick, it will jump around to the safety, DE, OLB and Nick Barnett, the other MLB. Just so many little frustrations and big ones combined.

I call a cover two sink and try to user pass rush only to watch Cutler complete an in route to the TE when I have a wall of Line Backers in yellow hook zones that can't cover?!? Ugh...

I know sliders help improve game play, but it's still Madden... it's still Madden. Players still lide through one another to compete animations. The Passing game is still based on where the receiver is, and not where he is going. Defenders don't have to worry about body position, as they can just glide around on the field. I can't play linebacker very well in APF because you actually have to be good at it. In madden I am beastly because you can get away with anything and change direction on demand.

Despite all of that... I still may end up getting the game simply because in a lot of ways it's still better than Madden 11. That's what makes me really sad. I want to play with my 49ers. I want to play with Coach Harbaugh and not Singletary. I just have to remind myself that I am playing more of an arcade game than a football game. Seriously, if the player models were whacked out like Blitz or on the Wii and had a visual effect where they were on fire but everything else was the same, could you tell the difference? Seriously... Madden LOOKS fantastic, and that is deceptive as it plays like trash.

Last edited by PGaither84; 02-17-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Just FYI, speaking of Madden 12's worth: I just traded it in today for $28.00 at Gamestop (NHL 12 was the same value).
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »