Home

Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See?

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #57
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See?

I was under the impression that the NFL wants the league to be 80% Offense and 20% Defense.

Based on a lot of the new rules, etc. I hope EA carries this out to the max though... I think a lot can be done to improve it simply with better AI NOT cheating AI.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #58
MVP

OVR: 34
Just make every matchup on the field,.balanced and fair.

Thats all.

Whenever I hear talk like this, I get a little nervous because they have a habit of swinging the pendulum too far in the opposite direction.

Reward the right use of personnel and x's &o's, and punish those who dont.

Simple.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 7
as long as the slot WRs and TEs can be covered by the comp teams Id be happy
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #60
Rookie

knighthawksfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patscanes
Does this mean the 3-4 defense will be fixed? I hope so
I agree will the 3-4 be fixed since I am a cardinals fan. Holy cow the last two maddens pretty much had no defense holy cow
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
My answers to most issues seem to be the same as I feel most things are due to a few big issues. I'd like to see:
  • Engaged player mobility - Engaged defenders need to be able to move laterally to close down the space on outside runs, contain, and allow for true cutbacks. Engaged players also need to be able to move forward/backward to allow for true edge rushing, contain, pocket collapses, etc.
  • Run fits - Defenders should have assignments like they do irl. Run defense is based on gap/contain assignments. Without contain assignments, the success of outside runs is based too heavily on the OLB/OT fight. An OLB can do his job without disengaging, by maintaining outside leverage. An OT can do his job without pancaking or "holding", by staying engaged & rinding a defender and giving the RB a lane.

Even on inside runs, it seems a d-lineman's 1st move is always towards the blocker assigned to them, even when they have to move away from the play. D-linemen have to be programmed to "read" the o-linemen, maintain their gap & flow towards the play.
  • Realistic Footwork - Another one that affects the spacing of plays. Ball carriers are too twitchy & can cover too much ground in a short period of time. And it looks ugly. Defenders are also too twitchy, covering too much ground, very noticable on pass plays when they get to balls they shouldn't.
  • Tiered Play Calling - One I don't expect for a while, but it's very necessary to even out the playing field. Madden's preconceived plays just don't give us enought ammo. I can't be the only one that has been getting beat by a play type, knew it was coming, but couldn't find a "play" to match the scheme in out head.

D coordinators put schemes together in parts. They can combine fronts, stunts, blitzes, shells & coverages in a great number of ways. In Madden, I always feel I have to make a choice between stunt/blitz package & coverage. If I want to play Man Free, I'm stuck to the 2-3 plays from a particular front. If I want to blitz my WOLB, I'm again stuck to the few plays with that blitz. In either case, I can't put together a defensive scheme and often have my front 7 or DBs doing someting I don't want.

Sure, we have audibles. Problem is I'm limited to the time my opponenet gives me before he snaps the ball and there are no stunt audibles. IMO, the only way around tiering the defense is to add many, many more preconceived plays to cover more of the stunt, blitz, shell & coverage combinations that exist.
  • WR/DB Interaction - Shading is there, but it doesn't seem to work. Shading inside should take away inside routes more times than not, at a particular depth. Same for shading outside.

We need more depth options for DBs. Press, off, at/near 1st down & way off for the desparation situations.

DBs need more ability to bump & redirect WRs.

Not so much interaction, but I'll put it here. DBs (& WRs) need separate jump & catch/swat buttons. Too often, I want to jump and the DB only puts his hands up. But this also needs to be connected to line of sight.
  • Line of Sight - This will take away from the defense, but make it more realistic. Defenders should not be reacting to balls they can't see. If a DB is playing man & the ball is thrown in another direction, he should not be turning & chasing right away.

DBs/LBs should also be limited in how they react to a ball. Most trailing defenders shouldn't be jumping at balls since they are focused on the WR. Few DBs have the awareness to turn & look in those situations. We should have to play the WR's hands in these cases.
  • More double team animations and the ability & need to draw double teams. Some 3-4 NTs commandd double teams on inside runs. This is often what makes the 3-4 successful. Some DEs (& DTs) command double teams on passes.
Everything in this post!!!!

The thing that I DON'T like mentioned in that article is the "poor awareness by defenders". Really? I believe it's the exact OPPOSITE problem. You have guys that are running in the opposite direction with their back to the QB stopping the instant the ball is thrown, doing a weird circle animation then warping through the receiver to pick off the pass. Linebackers are running to their left only to warp 5 yards to their right to intercept the pass with one hand. It's a total mess in my opinion. Passing the ball should be challenging and I like that, but when you make a good read and you see the separation only to have the defender magically warp to a spot that he can't possibly get to, it's infuriating.

Player interaction in madden needs the overhaul, not just the defense. I don't want to see all 11 defenders reacting to the ball before it's left the QBs hand, yet that is EXACTLY what happens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #62
Rookie

knighthawksfan's Arena

OVR: 24
I hope they do something with online franchise as well because that needs an upgrade along with superstar mode
Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #63
Baseball King

bobtrain's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Everything in this post!!!!

The thing that I DON'T like mentioned in that article is the "poor awareness by defenders". Really? I believe it's the exact OPPOSITE problem. You have guys that are running in the opposite direction with their back to the QB stopping the instant the ball is thrown, doing a weird circle animation then warping through the receiver to pick off the pass. Linebackers are running to their left only to warp 5 yards to their right to intercept the pass with one hand. It's a total mess in my opinion. Passing the ball should be challenging and I like that, but when you make a good read and you see the separation only to have the defender magically warp to a spot that he can't possibly get to, it's infuriating.

Player interaction in madden needs the overhaul, not just the defense. I don't want to see all 11 defenders reacting to the ball before it's left the QBs hand, yet that is EXACTLY what happens.
I completely agree. This is what separates Madden from an enjoyable football sim for me. The passing game is totally flawed in this game due to Defense AI. I'm running a Online Franchise (no slider adjustments online) and EVERYONE is averaging 3-7 interceptions a game. This is ridiculous. There are a ton of good suggestions all of which I'm sure will not come out in such a short dev cycle for a new Madden dev team. Here are possible some quick fixes?

-LB, S and CB jump ratings mean nothing. That needs to be fixed ASAP.

-Eye placement on ball should be fixed (i.e. a CB should not make Willie Mays catches repeatedly in a game).

-More animations on offense and defense (in my opinion this would help with the CB and WR interactions and create less glitching by defenders in making ridiculous interceptions)

-Ball trajectory and game speed (just improving the ball trajectory wouldn't work because player speed on the field is faster than real life. This would only create more interceptions, so ball trajectory and game speed would have to be addressed at the same time). I highly doubt Madden will ever fix game speed though, seeing as I've been feeling that Madden has been supporting the fast twitch type player more than the football simulators.

-Everything else mentioned in this forum would be great, but I'm holding my breath.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #64
Baseball King

bobtrain's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawksfan
I hope they do something with online franchise as well because that needs an upgrade along with superstar mode
oh yes, we all forgot about features (we were talking about gameplay), but yessssss. Superstar is the worst feature ever. They should just copy NBA 2k12 in this aspect. Nothing is rewarding about starting right away when your player is rated 75 OVR. Ideas:

-Interactive draft process (combine, interviews and scouting)
-Draft day (doesn't need to be flashy, just a draft where you can see where players get drafted etc...like 2k)
-Training Camp (fight for position...what happened to that feature in Madden????)
-Get points based on YOUR performance, not team performance (just copy the entire point system after 2k really)
-Then you can use those points to upgrade and fight for a starting position.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »