Home

Pass blocking you won't see in Madden

This is a discussion on Pass blocking you won't see in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Pass blocking you won't see in Madden

Was this video from Backbreaker? That OL DL interaction looked pretty realistic to me. Not perfect, but WAY better than what Madden has to offer. Would you recommend this game? Do they have a franchise mode? The best thing about Madden for me is the franchise mode. Gameplay stinks... If I can get better game play and a decent franchise mode I'm in.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Yes, there are two games on the same system as Madden that do everything outlined.

1) Double team blocking?

Yes, on the larger right DT.

2) Interior rushers pushing the pocket back into QB's face?

Yes, the smaller athletic left DT gains leverage over the right guard, riding the guard to the QB.

3) Edge rushers getting upfield?

Yes, you can see both the right DE and left DE coming around the edge being controlled by the offensive tackles.

1) Double team blocking?

Yes, on the right DE. The left guard also chips the right DT briefly before pulling back to help cover for a beaten teammate.

2) Interior rushers pushing the pocket back into QB's face?

Yes, when the left DT comes free with his spin move, he is picked up by the left guard. But rather than the two players coming to a stand still like in Madden, the DT's force and inertia push the left guard back into the QB's face.

3) Edge rushers getting upfield?

Not in this particular video, because the right DE got double teamed. But there are tons of other examples out there showing off the Backbreaker pass rush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JgUsJt8I3A

And to think this was their first attempt at a football game. Not their 20-somethingth.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I've been begging for tiered play calling on defense for years. The reason I was given that it wasn't an easy fix is that the blocking is tied to the defensive "plays". If you tiered the play calling, blocking would also have to be redone due to all the new defensive posibilities.
That implies what we already know; blockers know who's blitzing & from where.

Not only is the blocking built on that psychic ability, it looks like defender's initial movement is tied to the offense's blocking. Watch d-linemen's initial movment. They seem to head directly towards the blocker assigned to them, even if it's opposite the play, especially noticable on runs.

There's a lot of work to be done in this area. Removing that psychic blocking would probably require a complete rehaul.

I could have sworn the older versions of Madden (like 92 94 ish) had tiered play calling, so once I started playing Madden again I was surprised.

That dev admission IMO explains why after spending one cycle to focus on offense and another on defense doesn't seem to change what I think is most lacking.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 0

Sad,, Oh if Only we could get a game that Looks like Madden, Plays like 2k8 and the editing of Fb Pro98.. UGH!!!!! this is 2012!!!
if MLB The Show can put it all together WHY CANT SOMEONE MAKE A REAL FOOTBALL GAME???????
Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I've been begging for tiered play calling on defense for years. The reason I was given that it wasn't an easy fix is that the blocking is tied to the defensive "plays". If you tiered the play calling, blocking would also have to be redone due to all the new defensive posibilities.
That implies what we already know; blockers know who's blitzing & from where.

Not only is the blocking built on that psychic ability, it looks like defender's initial movement is tied to the offense's blocking. Watch d-linemen's initial movment. They seem to head directly towards the blocker assigned to them, even if it's opposite the play, especially noticable on runs.

There's a lot of work to be done in this area. Removing that psychic blocking would probably require a complete rehaul.
I agree. Now the question becomes, can anyone convince the devs this would be a good use of development resources. If not, rumors are already starting about new Xboxs and PS4s in the works. How can you prevent the same mistake from happening on those systems?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Man that pass blocking/rushing in 2K is PRETTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Not sure how I missed that post. I went back & voted. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I agree. Now the question becomes, can anyone convince the devs this would be a good use of development resources. If not, rumors are already starting about new Xboxs and PS4s in the works. How can you prevent the same mistake from happening on those systems?
I'm guessing they make all these time consuming changes no later than the 1st installment on next gen. The only thing I can see holding them back is the fear of alienating some of their consumers. But I don't think they can afford to fall much further behind other top sports games like 2K Basketball & The Show. FIFA is coming on strong & I hear EA's NHL game is pretty good too.

Despite so many Madden fans loving the game as is, it will start to look stale to them as well as these other games continue to improve.

Last edited by BezO; 02-23-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Combo
Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I went back & voted. LOL.
So did I. I wonder how much attention it got back in '09? Only 37 replies - 68 total votes, and at least two of 'em came from you and me almost three years later.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
So did I. I wonder how much attention it got back in '09? Only 37 replies - 68 total votes, and at least two of 'em came from you and me almost three years later.
Unfortunately, not many are concerned with tiered defensive play calling.

I find that many complaints here focus on the offspring of bigger issues. Folks will complain about not enough defensive audible options, not enough time to use those audibles, offensive cheese, etc, not realizing that the ability to call the defense you actually want in the huddle would solve those problems.

Too often I find myself getting beat by a play type, know when it's coming, but can't find a Madden preconceived defensive play to match the scheme in my head. I always feel like I have to choose between stunt/blitz combos or coverage. If I want my DBs to do one thing, I have to deal with my front 7 doing something I don't want, and vice versa.

The only alternative I can think of would be to add many, many more defensive plays to account for more of the combinations of front, stunts, blitzes, coverage & shells. But that's a lot of plays.

----------------

I have to say it again. Those interaction animations in 2K are NICE! The only thing missing from 2K8 in that regard is the lateral movement of engaged players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »