Home

Pass blocking you won't see in Madden

This is a discussion on Pass blocking you won't see in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Pass blocking you won't see in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaa
So the only thing I take this video for is further proof that Madden is fundamentally broken. The only reason this worked is because the offensive lineman knew what Bowman was "supposed" to do, but they can only read his mind, not yours. This is not football. This is trash.
And this is why I think psychic play is causing more problems than it's solving.

If the line just reacted to what was happening and adapted, Bowman would get blocked (or at least make an effort to block him) because the line would see him trying to get in. Like Jaaa said, it probably would have led to a holding call (imagine that - a penalty because of a realistic mismatch instead of just a 'bad' animation that drew a flag) in an effort to spare his QB a vicious hit.

But because they were psychic and "knew" he wasn't coming - when he did, he was ignored because he "wasn't supposed to" come. And the QB got crushed.

Why didn't #73 pick Bowman up? He was "looking" right at him even when Bowman is on the way. Inside-out. QB has more time to evade an edge rusher than one coming in his face. Still wouldn't make the play blocked perfectly, but maybe the QB sees the pressure and throws hot. Possible completion instead of a whack and a near strip-sack. I guess that's more with #73 "knowing" Bowman wasn't assigned to blitz, so he's like "meh" and just opened the flood gate.

For me, exploiting the AI is easier with psychic play because of things like this. Trying to predict what the User will do instead of just reacting to the play on the field. I like how it was said "ratings = communication".

The pass off could succeed better/worse based on the AWR of the nearby lineman (if C had a mental lapse, the LG would do what he's supposed to do, but then the C is asleep/drifts too far, etc - you can then see who's screwing up and there's ratings for it so you can adjust your personnel going forward).
Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #34
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I thought I would share this clip of me playing online:

It was 3rd and 7 and I called a cover 1 QB spy. I user controlled Bowman who was in spy. At the snap I made a loop move around my DE/DT Justin Smith and get quick pressure forcing an incomplete pass and a 4th down. Take it for what you will.
This is what I mean when I said I want to be able to override blocking assignments manually. When I'm online and someone is running this defense play after play, I could manually assign #73 to block Bowman.

I realize this is just another band aid, but if there is no hope of rebuilding from scratch and I have to play "madden ball" at least give me some tools to counter this crap.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Well, you can use slide protection. It's a band aid, but it works.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #36
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I've never had a lot of luck with slide protection to be honest. It opens up the other side of your line to blitz for one thing. I generally put the TE on the side my opponent is doing this and keep him in to block. But that means I have one less target in the passing game and a "spare" lineman that doesn't really do anything.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
You can but all it does is allow the backside DE/OLB to run in untouched and the RT will block nobody looking like a buffoon. And sometimes because the slide protection is a mess, your entire interior line could get hoodwinked and bamboozled allowing two defenders run right in untouched. When I look at the Madden OL and DL and the ways you have to get pressure in this game over the last 15 years you know what I think about:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »