Home

Making Use of the UFDAs

This is a discussion on Making Use of the UFDAs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Making Use of the UFDAs

So I've been thinkinga about a better way of managing the UFDA issue in this game since most of them come out with F potential.

It had crossed my mind to use random.org and create a small group of UFDA's each year who will have the potential to become really good plaers.

I'm not sure what percentage to use in order to determine who stays an F, who makes it to a C, and who can become B or A. I think in order to have players' potential go up, you actually have to up their ratings till they get in that number range, but even so, I wonder if doing so could create a more realistic scenario where guys who come out of nowhere can actually become Pro Bowlers.

Where would y'all draw the lines in terms of percentages of UFDAs who make it to certain tears?

Also, which ratings do you think are most imporant to increase to get the potential up? I know that awareness is pretty important, but I'm wondering if there are others as well that will boost OVR without totally skewing a guy's physical makeup.

A final question I have for discussion has to do with manipulating certain UFDA values when they don't make sense. For example, in one franchise I have a rookie CB who did nice things in pre-season. I kept him for the final roster and he somehow had 60 speed. That's ridiculous. I'd consider at that point doing a random generator that would give him a rating between 75 and say 88. Thoughts on that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Making Use of the UFDAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I'm not sure what percentage to use in order to determine who stays an F, who makes it to a C, and who can become B or A. I think in order to have players' potential go up, you actually have to up their ratings till they get in that number range, but even so, I wonder if doing so could create a more realistic scenario where guys who come out of nowhere can actually become Pro Bowlers.

Where would y'all draw the lines in terms of percentages of UFDAs who make it to certain tears?
I like this idea.

I would do something like:

2% A (0-2)
5% B (3-7)
50% C (8-57)
30% D (58-87)
13% F (88-99)

(Ranges for a "die roll" between 0 and 99, 100 numbers - if random.org starts at 1, add 1 to min-max values)

Quote:
Also, which ratings do you think are most imporant to increase to get the potential up? I know that awareness is pretty important, but I'm wondering if there are others as well that will boost OVR without totally skewing a guy's physical makeup.
Depending on position, the technique type ratings can mean a lot, like blocking on OL, FMV/PMV for DL, RTE for WR means a lot, etc. Of course, you just need to raise it up, you can put it back down. So if putting a guy at 90 SPD makes him shoot up to C from F, you can do that to get POT up and then put SPD back where it was (or at any other level).

Quote:
A final question I have for discussion has to do with manipulating certain UFDA values when they don't make sense. For example, in one franchise I have a rookie CB who did nice things in pre-season. I kept him for the final roster and he somehow had 60 speed. That's ridiculous. I'd consider at that point doing a random generator that would give him a rating between 75 and say 88. Thoughts on that?
This might be a way to get a distribution. See what fixing the nonsense ratings, like a 60 SPD DB, gives him for a rating/pot combo. It might put him up to at least average.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

i thought they are fine how they are. in real-life there are few UDFA's than turn out good, or even decent.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

I agree with vrock; I get at least one B potential free agent every year, and almost always find them. I actually like it when I find those 60 speed corners because it means I know who to cut.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyfiggy
I agree with vrock; I get at least one B potential free agent every year, and almost always find them. I actually like it when I find those 60 speed corners because it means I know who to cut.
Wow.

In the 8 seasons of my oldest franchise, I've never gotten a B.

I've gotten a couple decent C's that hang on at the back of the roster, but never a B player I'd consider a good developmental prospect/higher-up back up.

As far as the CB with 60 Speed, I thought UDFAs were supposed to represent guys who were in the draft but didn't get picked. How could a corner slower than some OFFENSIVE LINEMEN ever make it as a corner, even at the college level?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Yeah, that's nuts. I've NEVER gotten a UFDA in the B to A range.

I'm fine with most of them being camp guys, but there are lots of camp guys who get cut and cut and cut and then wind up being able to play at an average or above average level.

And regarding the wonky ratings, I'd leave most of them as-is, but it's pretty hard to find realism in a UDFA CB who runs the equivalent of a 5.0 40, which is what a 60 is in Madden. I'd imagine that it would be hard for a guy who plays CB and runs slower than a 4.75 to get to any team's camp, which would be in the low 70s.

I don't think the transformation needs to be huge, but I think it'd be more realistic if a few more of those guys had higher ceilings and if at least a few of those nonsensical ratings were evened out.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

I literally get a B potential guy pretty much every year, though he is pretty much the only one I keep. I cut the players with already known potential week 1, look at speed ratings week 2 and cut the unfit players, and look at strength ratings week 3, and cut the linemen who absolutely cannot play at the NFL level. At week 4, I generally find my strategy rewards me.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

I just can't keep the UDFA's because they have the same problem as the NCAA classes - IE mutation.

If I use generated classes my franchise will look just fine in 20 seasons. If I use NCAA classes and UDFA's, it looks like the sewers of Futurama. It is too big of a trade off for me - which is unfortunately because the UDFA idea is good even if the implementation is a bit off.

However:

If I was going to use UDFA's I would probably bump their non-physical attributes for the most part. If they were a physical specimen they would get drafted no? Arian Foster is a great example of a player with 4.77 speed but incredible vision, acceleration to the hole, awareness, and pass catching.

The UDFA's in the NFL that have great physical skills usually have a huge red flag like injuries or poor awareness etc. So I would make a very small number of UDFA's with good measurables, and give those players a significant drawback to work around like 25 awareness, 65 INJ, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »