Home

Attributes question

This is a discussion on Attributes question within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
Attributes question

Do you guys think its better for a young LB to have both his finesse move and power move be high which usually give a lower block shedding rating or is it better to have a high block shedding rating and have one of the other two ratings be substantialy higher im just wanting to figure out which would develop better in franchise mode also which would play better if thrown in early in his career
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Attributes question

Which LB position in what set?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyfiggy
Which LB position in what set?
I run mainly 4-3 Any of the positions I was just curious. If it matters different for each LB position please let me know.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Madden
I run mainly 4-3 Any of the positions I was just curious. If it matters different for each LB position please let me know.
A Mike LB isn't going to do the same things as a Will or Sam LB.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Madden
Do you guys think its better for a young LB to have both his finesse move and power move be high which usually give a lower block shedding rating or is it better to have a high block shedding rating and have one of the other two ratings be substantialy higher im just wanting to figure out which would develop better in franchise mode also which would play better if thrown in early in his career
I think block shedding is one of the paramount requirements in a LB. A LB with bad block shedding but good rush moves might could work in a 3-4 as Will (like Aldon Smith) or Sam since those are usually the pass rushers and hopefully they are going against TEs and HB/FB, but may struggle in run support (hard to get off blocks), unless the DL/Jack is good (occupy blocks so the LB can run freely).

In a 4-3, I think he would struggle more since pass rushing isn't a primary need. He would be good on the blitz, even if picked up, but how will he handle getting blocked against the run? It could be something of a mess if an outside run or even an inside run to his gap comes his way, but he's initially blocked by the FB or G (or a T/C depending on how the DL is set and who they can occupy) and the LB can't get off it in time. It would more strain on the safeties and require a very good MLB to come clean up.

I think the LB with bad BSH and good rush moves is a candidate for being a 4-3 DE. Put his hand in the ground and if he doesn't break free against the outside run, that's fine, that's what the OLB is for and the FS/SS can be more aggressive instead of tackling a 5-7 yd gain, he can attack and try to stop the play for a loss. As a pass rusher, his moves will shine and he is that much closer to the QB. Put him on the defensive left (since most RT aren't quite as good as LTs) and let him go to work. Also on the defensive left, the SS is there, who's usually the better tackler/hitter out of the safeties and one of his usual jobs is run support (and in the 46, a set 4-3 personnel can typically handle, he's the 8th man in the box anyway).

Last edited by KBLover; 02-27-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I think block shedding is one of the paramount requirements in a LB. A LB with bad block shedding but good rush moves might could work in a 3-4 as Will (like Aldon Smith) or Sam since those are usually the pass rushers and hopefully they are going against TEs and HB/FB, but may struggle in run support (hard to get off blocks), unless the DL/Jack is good (occupy blocks so the LB can run freely).

In a 4-3, I think he would struggle more since pass rushing isn't a primary need. He would be good on the blitz, even if picked up, but how will he handle getting blocked against the run? It could be something of a mess if an outside run or even an inside run to his gap comes his way, but he's initially blocked by the FB or G (or a T/C depending on how the DL is set and who they can occupy) and the LB can't get off it in time. It would more strain on the safeties and require a very good MLB to come clean up.

I think the LB with bad BSH and good rush moves is a candidate for being a 4-3 DE. Put his hand in the ground and if he doesn't break free against the outside run, that's fine, that's what the OLB is for and the FS/SS can be more aggressive instead of tackling a 5-7 yd gain, he can attack and try to stop the play for a loss. As a pass rusher, his moves will shine and he is that much closer to the QB. Put him on the defensive left (since most RT aren't quite as good as LTs) and let him go to work. Also on the defensive left, the SS is there, who's usually the better tackler/hitter out of the safeties and one of his usual jobs is run support (and in the 46, a set 4-3 personnel can typically handle, he's the 8th man in the box anyway).
Wow that opens my eyes quit a bit thanks for the input everyone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »