Home

What dont you like about Madden gameplay?

This is a discussion on What dont you like about Madden gameplay? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2003, 12:18 PM   #9
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: What dont you like about Madden gameplay?

Quote:

LIGHTNING said:
Quote:

ra1000 said:
Yea, i know what you mean about the RB breaking tackles . . .
Emmitt Smith ran over my CB, LB and SS on his way to a touchdown like he was in his prime and more.
The CPU tackling is atrocious, might as well not tackle at all.

Yes I know what you mean about the terrible tackling in Madden 2004. It seems that almost everytime I run up the middle the RB breaks at least 4 tackles. In ESPN NFL 2K4 the tackle ratings have meaning and if you have good LBs you will tackle well. The inside running game in Madden 2004 is also much too splastic!!!

The passing game in Madden 2004 is better this year, but EA must upgrade the running game so that the touch tackles are gone and the break tackle frequency is reduced.

What are you smoking we where talking about the horrible running game in espn. It is pretty common knowledge that you break way more takles in espn!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:21 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:

jake44np said:
Quote:

LIGHTNING said:
Quote:

ra1000 said:
Yea, i know what you mean about the RB breaking tackles . . .
Emmitt Smith ran over my CB, LB and SS on his way to a touchdown like he was in his prime and more.
The CPU tackling is atrocious, might as well not tackle at all.

Yes I know what you mean about the terrible tackling in Madden 2004. It seems that almost everytime I run up the middle the RB breaks at least 4 tackles. In ESPN NFL 2K4 the tackle ratings have meaning and if you have good LBs you will tackle well. The inside running game in Madden 2004 is also much too splastic!!!

The passing game in Madden 2004 is better this year, but EA must upgrade the running game so that the touch tackles are gone and the break tackle frequency is reduced.

What are you smoking we where talking about the horrible running game in espn. It is pretty common knowledge that you break way more takles in espn!

Let me first say that I prefer Madden this year, BUT I break far more tackles in Madden 2004 than ESPN NFL 2K4. This may be due to slider settings though. There is also NO denying that the inside running game in Madden 2004 is unrealistic and splastic.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:26 PM   #11
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

I would totally disagree!!
I would break atleast 3 to 4 tackles on every run up the middle playing espn and using the charge button!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2003, 12:32 PM   #12
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

Its a few things I did'nt like in Madden.

1. The cpu does'nt utilize its star players as much as it should. Playing a game against the Vikes and Moss should get the majority of the throws. Instead, the TE catches 4 passes and the other recievers catch few and Moss has 1.

2. I cant stand the 6 feet vertical that the defensive backs have. Some passes shoud be caught. Instead the lowest rated DB on the team leaps 5 feet in the air and swats the pass away. Even during slats, they hop and their arm extends to swat the ball away. Its just unrelistic at times. The the LB, when they play zone, they swat lobbed balls out the air and run 10x faster than thier speed attribute in order to break up a pass.

3. The constant picks and fumbles being returned for TDs. Its no way in hell a 300lb defensive lineman can recover a fumble and run 80 yds untouched. And it seems every pick gets returned for a huge gain or td. I could understand getting picked throwing to the flats and returning it but geting picked on a 20 yd slant route and having complete daylight to the end zone is rediculous.

4. The game is just to offensive minded. I can never get out the first half with at least 1 of the teams having 21 or more points. To many big plays. You're bound to see at least 3 or 4 big plays per half in Madden.

5. Special teams....Nuff Said.

And if you cant see any of the stuff I described you're ethier in denial or have found the perfect slider combo. I had the perfect slider combo, but it did'nt stop complaints # 1,3 and 4. Every now and then #4 is'nt to bad, but I have'nt played a game of Madden 2004 where the score was'nt under 10 for at least one team yet. Just to much offense. And to compensate for the big plays, you got flubber shoe wearing DBs who basically mess your QB rating and stats up.

And I'm not gonna even get on the cheat logic.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:48 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:

jake44np said:
I would totally disagree!!
I would break atleast 3 to 4 tackles on every run up the middle playing espn and using the charge button!

The problem with the running game in Madden 2004 is that you cannot eliminate all the broken tackles and get realistic running stats because your offensive linemen are horrendous at run blocking- you can NEVER run the play as it is designed and it is too splastic. Increasing the run blocking is not an option because it does NOT improve the blocking AI at all. With ESPN you can decrease the running and blocking sliders and increase tackling and pursuit and make it far more realistic.

In Madden it is also too easy to defend the run against the CPU. I can select dime packages and still stuff the run too often. The touch takles that happen randomly are also a problem and sometimes there is no momentun while tackling. Defending against the run is not as challenging as it should be IMHO.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:52 PM   #14
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

Quote:

Graphik said:
Its a few things I did'nt like in Madden.

1. The cpu does'nt utilize its star players as much as it should. Playing a game against the Vikes and Moss should get the majority of the throws. Instead, the TE catches 4 passes and the other recievers catch few and Moss has 1.

2. I cant stand the 6 feet vertical that the defensive backs have. Some passes shoud be caught. Instead the lowest rated DB on the team leaps 5 feet in the air and swats the pass away. Even during slats, they hop and their arm extends to swat the ball away. Its just unrelistic at times. The the LB, when they play zone, they swat lobbed balls out the air and run 10x faster than thier speed attribute in order to break up a pass.

3. The constant picks and fumbles being returned for TDs. Its no way in hell a 300lb defensive lineman can recover a fumble and run 80 yds untouched. And it seems every pick gets returned for a huge gain or td. I could understand getting picked throwing to the flats and returning it but geting picked on a 20 yd slant route and having complete daylight to the end zone is rediculous.

4. The game is just to offensive minded. I can never get out the first half with at least 1 of the teams having 21 or more points. To many big plays. You're bound to see at least 3 or 4 big plays per half in Madden.

5. Special teams....Nuff Said.

And if you cant see any of the stuff I described you're ethier in denial or have found the perfect slider combo. I had the perfect slider combo, but it did'nt stop complaints # 1,3 and 4. Every now and then #4 is'nt to bad, but I have'nt played a game of Madden 2004 where the score was'nt under 10 for at least one team yet. Just to much offense. And to compensate for the big plays, you got flubber shoe wearing DBs who basically mess your QB rating and stats up.

And I'm not gonna even get on the cheat logic.

Your right you need the right sliders!
1.I dont have this problem i played the Colts last night and Harrison had 9 catches for 125 yrds and 2 tds.
2. This is easy to fix turn down the cpu knockdown slider!
3. I have never seen a 300lb lineman return a ball 80 yrds for a td! And there are alot of ints returned in the nfl for tds, do you not watch the nfl?
4. Again sliders man! Turn down cpu defense awareness!
I am the falcons and i average 21 pts per game and i give up 18 pts per game.
5. I dont know what your gripe in with the ST since you stated enuff said.
But i personally like the st in madden alot better than in espn. FGs are too easy in espn and i could return every kick off to the 40 yrd line!
I really think you do need to find some sliders to help you out i had some of the same problems you are talking about but the sliders fixed them.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:12 PM   #15
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

Every game I've played in Madden, the star reciever never gets no more than 3 catches. Never. Granted I'll put alot of doubles on him but I dont do it the entire game. I swear usually the TE and RB make the most catches when I play.

And with 2, I had the passing game fixed to where I wanna but me and the cpus DBs still make some unrealistic pass swats sometimes.

there are alot if returned interception but no way the rate that Madden has it. In my first season, Mike Brown led the league in interceptions and tds from a defensive back. And believe me, he blew away the competition. Plus, my iNt slider was down really low. And I've had lots of fumbles being recovered for big gains. You dont believe me, I have 2 on my memory card that my D-lineman returned for tds. With no one around him. I've had the defense score just as much as my offense.

Now with 4 can you honestly say that you've been shut out or the cpu has been shut out. have you played a game where there have been nothing but FGs. Have you played a game where it was 0-0 at halftime? Please dont say you have because I know for a fact that at least the cpu scored before halftime because under the 2 minute mark they become unstopable. Especially doing a no huddle.

And the lack of god blocking on special teams sucks on Madden. On Kickoffs you'll be lucky to get the ball to the 30. No wedge, just every man for themself. And its so easy to put the cpu returner inside the 20 its rediculous.

i already no you're gonna have a counter to my complaints so be my guest. I had some great slider settings that gave me for the most part realistic games. You dont see me complaining about running animations and robo QBs or easy human run defense. The complaints I have are legit and some cant be fixed with sliders. And like I said before, dont let me get on the cpu cheat logic. The real reason why that game went back to EB.

FYI, I enjoyed Madden this year. The real reason why those are basically complaints are because ESPN got those gripes right. And the cpu tackle breaking issue is'nt as bad as you make it seem. I had that problem also at first, but I adjusted and it went away. Now my and the cpus yds per carry are realisticly potrayed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2003, 01:27 PM   #16
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

There is no reason to enlighten you, you have already made up your mind about the game! This is the gods honest truth last night in my falcons franchise i was leading tampa 3-0 at the half. I purchased madden when it came out traded it in for espn when it came out and then traded in espn for a used copy of madden so i have played both and the presentation in espn rocks but i honestly think the gameplay stinks! So again lets just agree to disagree!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »