Home

Strip Ball FIX!?

This is a discussion on Strip Ball FIX!? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Strip Ball FIX!?

Dunno if this has been an issue with anyone else this year but it seems everyone is just holding down the strip button when they engage the ball carrier and having great success with this regardless of the players who are doing the stripping and the players they're stripping!

I just dont understand how can someone successfully strip a player who is not known for being stripped by players much weaker than them. Its like wes welker stripping Patrick Willis after an INT or a nobody safety/corner stripping a power back 3/5 times a game.

I think the strip animation should be limited as it appears to be just held down until that person makes contact with the ball carrier. I cant think of a solution at the moment to counter such a thing but even when I do cover up the ball I still gets stripped almost on every tackle.

Anyone have any Idea of what I can do to avoid this, I played 3 games today and all of them did this and it seems to be more effective with teams like GB and BAL!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Strip Ball FIX!?

What bothers me more is the lack of broken tackles against strip attempts, not just how successful the attempts are. There doesn't appear to be much of a draw back if any in going for the strip every time.

There was highlight video in Madden 09 where Tony Romo broke like 8 tackles and scored a 50+ yard TD. It was the highest rated video on EA Sports world for a long time. When you look closely at it, the defending player went for the strip on every single tackle.

It was a big pile of fail. Tony Romo shouldn't be breaking 8 tackles, but who goes for 8 consecutive strips also?

I know that when I try and sack the QB, I try to go for the trip when I can...

Last edited by PGaither84; 03-19-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Really fellas?

It makes perfect sense that people who tackle with Strip should force more fumbles. And there are tons of broken tackles when people use the strip button...

In my games, I can tell which button my opponents use to make tackles. If they tackle with Strip, I make sure to keep the ball covered with both hands, switch to the outside arm near the sidelines, and lay off the sprint through the contact.

Even with the most strip happy players, 3 fumbles a game and 10-15 broken tackles is about par for the course.

That said, you'd be amazed at the number of people who don't practice the most rudimentary ball handling skills (maybe because they play Madden like it's a video game) making them so much more apt to put the ball on the ground.

Later
Old 03-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

TNT, I am just not seeing the broken tackles. I am not fumbling a lot, but I am not seeing the broken tackles either... and I use Frank Gore.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
TNT, I am just not seeing the broken tackles. I am not fumbling a lot, but I am not seeing the broken tackles either... and I use Frank Gore.
Don't be fooled - it's not a STRIP BUTTON. It's a STRIP TACKLE BUTTON that is actually a TACKLE BUTTON with a poke at the ball.

Question is whether the 1 fumble you'll cause after using the Strip Tackle 15-20 times is worth the risk knowing that 5 of those times will result in a broken tackle. For some, it's worth it. For others, it's not.

Also, there is a technique to using the Strip Button to bring down ball carriers... If the defender is square, he's more likely to make the tackle regardless of what button he uses. If he's not square, he might still make the tackle 1-3 yards beyond the initial point of contact.

If you're using Frank Gore, you're probably finding yourself going down after you realize that the opponent is attempting a strip. You might be holding the R1/RB button to cover the ball - which basically has your back giving up on the play in order to protect the ball. With a different button, pumping the Sprint perhaps, you're going to expose the ball - but you'll break more strip tackles.

If you stiff arm instead, you're going to lose more fumbles because carrying the ball with one arm is a riskier move against a player trying to strip - but if you time it perfect Frank Gore has the strength to plant defenders so they can't get a hand on the ball.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Don't be fooled - it's not a STRIP BUTTON. It's a STRIP TACKLE BUTTON that is actually a TACKLE BUTTON with a poke at the ball.

Question is whether the 1 fumble you'll cause after using the Strip Tackle 15-20 times is worth the risk knowing that 5 of those times will result in a broken tackle. For some, it's worth it. For others, it's not.

Also, there is a technique to using the Strip Button to bring down ball carriers... If the defender is square, he's more likely to make the tackle regardless of what button he uses. If he's not square, he might still make the tackle 1-3 yards beyond the initial point of contact.

If you're using Frank Gore, you're probably finding yourself going down after you realize that the opponent is attempting a strip. You might be holding the R1/RB button to cover the ball - which basically has your back giving up on the play in order to protect the ball. With a different button, pumping the Sprint perhaps, you're going to expose the ball - but you'll break more strip tackles.

If you stiff arm instead, you're going to lose more fumbles because carrying the ball with one arm is a riskier move against a player trying to strip - but if you time it perfect Frank Gore has the strength to plant defenders so they can't get a hand on the ball.

Later

Saying there is a technique to the strip tackle is laughable. It required some technique in M11 and M10 where the broken tackle numbers you spouted off were actually true but this year you are just as likely to break out of a strip tackle from Ray Lewis as you are from Darryn Colledge (offensive linemen). They have essentially made it the most effective way to tackle a player because along with extremely high success rate you also have the small chance at a fumble. With the hit stick you have to be positioned perfectly or its just as likely going to be a whiff or one of those push off animations as it is going to be a big hit. The fumble chance is there with the hit stick but so is the risk. With the regular tackle (run into and the tackle button) you lose almost all chance at a fumble (I've seen 1 in over 200 games) and have about the same success rate as you do in making the tackle with the strip tackle button.

The risk simply isn't there anymore, the game doesn't reward proper tackling technique but instead rewards proper "Madden" tackling technique which is something that it should very much want to get away from.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller7345
Saying there is a technique to the strip tackle is laughable. It required some technique in M11 and M10 where the broken tackle numbers you spouted off were actually true but this year you are just as likely to break out of a strip tackle from Ray Lewis as you are from Darryn Colledge (offensive linemen). They have essentially made it the most effective way to tackle a player because along with extremely high success rate you also have the small chance at a fumble. With the hit stick you have to be positioned perfectly or its just as likely going to be a whiff or one of those push off animations as it is going to be a big hit. The fumble chance is there with the hit stick but so is the risk. With the regular tackle (run into and the tackle button) you lose almost all chance at a fumble (I've seen 1 in over 200 games) and have about the same success rate as you do in making the tackle with the strip tackle button.

The risk simply isn't there anymore, the game doesn't reward proper tackling technique but instead rewards proper "Madden" tackling technique which is something that it should very much want to get away from.
I miss/break plenty of tackles when using/avoiding the Strip button. What's more, once I realize my opponent is using the Strip button to tackle - my broken tackles go up and my fumbles are reduced.

Later
Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I miss/break plenty of tackles when using/avoiding the Strip button. What's more, once I realize my opponent is using the Strip button to tackle - my broken tackles go up and my fumbles are reduced.

Later
There are times I swear you are playing a different game than the rest of us.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »