Home

Back to Madden...

This is a discussion on Back to Madden... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2003, 12:51 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Back to Madden...

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

Hooligan said:
The other thing I didn't mention, but after playing both extensively is, I do think that Madden is a bit smarter. I just think the AI is better and more accurate towards real football. You can really see teams change to how you are playing. I never really saw this in ESPN, and some of the griping about ESPN was that defenses wouldn't adjust.

The adaptive AI in espnfl is unmatched. I played several seasons in Madden 2004's Franchise Mode and was able to succeed quite easily with the same strategy against every CPU opponent. In Espnfl's Franchise Mode you have to keep changing your playcalling/gameplan because the CPU AI will definitely adapt to what you're doing as if you're bieng scouted...like the CPU watches film on you in a sense.

Quote:

Hooligan said:

Oh, and one more thing... Madden has player tendencies down VERY well. Played my 2nd preseason game against the Bears, and Kordell was very prone to run, forcing me to run a lot of QB spy defenses. That is just something that wouldn't really happen in ESPN. In madden you have to be worried about facing a Kordell, Daunte, or *gulp* Vick or McNabb.

The QBs scramble realistically in espnfl as well and guys like Vick, McNabb, etc are just as dangerous if not moreso than they are in Madden.

I disagree. McNabb runs on me alot. And in my dynasty I am in 2008 and Marcus Vick plays for the Packers. He ran the ball 10 times for 79 yards against me just last night! It was frustrating as hell.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #10
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

jistic said:
Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

Hooligan said:
The other thing I didn't mention, but after playing both extensively is, I do think that Madden is a bit smarter. I just think the AI is better and more accurate towards real football. You can really see teams change to how you are playing. I never really saw this in ESPN, and some of the griping about ESPN was that defenses wouldn't adjust.

The adaptive AI in espnfl is unmatched. I played several seasons in Madden 2004's Franchise Mode and was able to succeed quite easily with the same strategy against every CPU opponent. In Espnfl's Franchise Mode you have to keep changing your playcalling/gameplan because the CPU AI will definitely adapt to what you're doing as if you're bieng scouted...like the CPU watches film on you in a sense.

Quote:

Hooligan said:

Oh, and one more thing... Madden has player tendencies down VERY well. Played my 2nd preseason game against the Bears, and Kordell was very prone to run, forcing me to run a lot of QB spy defenses. That is just something that wouldn't really happen in ESPN. In madden you have to be worried about facing a Kordell, Daunte, or *gulp* Vick or McNabb.

The QBs scramble realistically in espnfl as well and guys like Vick, McNabb, etc are just as dangerous if not moreso than they are in Madden.

I disagree. McNabb runs on me alot. And in my dynasty I am in 2008 and Marcus Vick plays for the Packers. He ran the ball 10 times for 79 yards against me just last night! It was frustrating as hell.

Lil Vick is ripped you up, Huh? Sounds Cool.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Yeah it was cool, well it was frustrating but every time I was in Cover 2 their recievers ran off my DB's and he just ran forever. Urlacher (much older now) and Karlos Dansby (currently at Auburn) were sucking wind from chasing him down so much!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 8

I too have just returned to madden, at first only to explore the franchise mode more, but now i'm addicted all over again. i love espn, don't get me wrong, but the franchise in madden takes the cake. i've spent the last two nights staying up to all hours simming and drafting and setting up my skins just to my liking. now my team is pretty sweet and the game is playing great (thanks to jstic's sliders). glad to be back!

brian
Old 10-02-2003, 01:48 PM   #13
Rookie

Hooligan's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

Hooligan said:

Quote:

Hooligan said:

I don't know about that Kanobi. Both games do adapt, but it seems to me Madden adapts more quickly, and with more effectiveness.

I do like how ESPN implemented the game plan sliders and really having to know the team you are playing's strenghts and weaknesses. But you have to do the same in Madden.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot I like about ESPN. But the sense of continuity between NCAA and Madden, and the ability to create you own football reality makes me like Madden a bit more.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:47 PM   #14
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:

Hooligan said:
Don't get me wrong, there is a lot I like about ESPN. But the sense of continuity between NCAA and Madden, and the ability to create you own football reality makes me like Madden a bit more.

I'm with you on that one. hoepfullly Visual Concepts realizes now that its not just about solid gameplay but solid off-field and deep franchise play as well. Its also why so many would like VC (or some other sega sports developer...Blue Shift[wsb2k] perhaps) to consider making an espn college football game next year that would provide espn with a depserately needed collegiate counterpart.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:02 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 17

I would rather have them stick to Pro Ball instead of making a poor college football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2003, 01:29 PM   #16
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:

JRod said:
I would rather have them stick to Pro Ball instead of making a poor college football game.

Visual Concepts would be able to focus On ESPN NFL Football. However another Developer (preferably Blue Shift...who does wsb) would work solely on ESPN NCAA Football.

Besides, You don't know if the game would be poor or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »