Home

The Future of Madden NFL Football videogames

This is a discussion on The Future of Madden NFL Football videogames within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Pro

22cedric's Arena

OVR: 11
The Future of Madden NFL Football videogames

Do you think that the Madden NFL Football series will head in the right direction now that Cam Weber & a new development team is creating the game ? Do y'all see EA Sports videogames becoming realistic simulation titles in the future ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Pro

22cedric's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: The Future of Madden NFL Football videogames

Cam Weber has me excited for Madden & NCAA 13 by these comments he stated.

Cam Weber: Coming in to a new role as GM of Football, I first spent a bunch of time doing research on where we stand with our current football franchises: Madden NFL and NCAA Football. As a football fan and sports gamer, I’ve obviously spent a ton of time playing these titles over the years, and I’ve spent hours and hours reading community feedback, past reviews and studying the forums to understand what our core consumers are asking for.

Ultimately, there are some key recurring themes that come through in the feedback:

• First and foremost, we need to deliver an amazing simulation football gameplay experience on both of our franchises. In other words, our fans want to see fluid, realistic player movement and deep football AI and behaviors on the field. This includes what players are doing between the whistles in the middle of a play, and how they behave in our pre- and post-play moments as well.

• Another key component is authenticity. Whether it is delivering the unique sights and sounds, traditions and pageantry across the schools in college football, or the NFL experience that we’ve all come to know and love on Sundays. Our consumers count on us to pay attention to the details.

• On top of that, it is critical that we deliver compelling depth modes. Whether it is providing a rich and deep Franchise/Dynasty mode or Superstar/Road to Glory mode, we need to continue to continuously invest in making these modes as deep and as realistic as possible.

• In addition to those core components, we need to deliver compelling ways for our consumers to compete with one another in the online space. The foundation of our online sports game experience is social competition -- we need to continue to innovate in how we allow our consumers to compete against friends and other opponents, customize their game experience and to keep our product updated with content throughout the year.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I like what I've heard from Cam so far and there's always reason to be hopeful when new management takes over, but for the majority of us who have been around here for a while, this kind of talk is nothing new, in fact it's flat out trite. So most of us are in a wait and see.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

I want to be excited, but unfortunately if you have been around here long enough we have seen this all before. I do like what he says about PLAYER MOVEMENT though. For whatever reason, player movement has been way off this entire generation and its very noticeable the second you see the game in motion.

Every other sports game has gotten player movement down pretty well at this point. FIFA has a great locomotion/foot planting system. Ian, said they took a lot of what FIFA did and put it into Madden but it sure doesn't seem like it. They have to get this right this year. They also need to add a physics system into Madden. The current animations they are using are not done well at all and get extremely repetitive after 5-10 games.

EDIT: Atmosphere as well. It just does not seem like it should be very hard to make the crowd sound like an authentic NFL crowd. They also need to work on the on-field sound FX. When the play starts it just sounds like a bunch of cars crashing into each other. Pads do not sound like that at all when they collide.

Last edited by ch46647; 03-22-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Rookie

Soprano00's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
They also need to add a physics system into Madden.
I think this is the most unlikely addition you'll ever see in Madden or FIFA for the next years at least. Madden and FIFA engines are strongly based on stats and almost nothing on real physics (i.e. in FIFA when you hit the post the ball rebounds not following well known physics rules, but just to one of the player's feet according to stats).

However I think in Madden the need of a physics engine is less important than in FIFA, at least for the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Having looked Cam Weber in the eye on our brief meeting at CD (along with several other developers on the team) I feel very comfortable with the goals the team has set and believe the majority of Madden players can share my comfort in the dev team's passion to create a great football game.

Whether the goals are reached this year or next remain to be seen - but I fully expect M13 to change the opinions of many who view Madden as being poor to fair for the better. I also believe that M13 will maintain the loyalty of players that already love the series.

Later
Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Whether the goals are reached this year or next remain to be seen - but I fully expect M13 to change the opinions of many who view Madden as being poor to fair for the better.
Believe me, I hope you are 100% correct.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

They just need to focus on adding features to Franchise and superstar mode and adding some type of other game mode would be a good idea. The game gets boring really fast once you see all the new features and their ineffectivness. I was excited about the expanded rosters and new FA bidding feature but they have turned out to be nothing. Expanded rosters are super boring because there are no suprise players to find and you end up just cutting everybody. The FA bidding system is a decent idea but there are no good free agents to bid on. In the real NFL you have superstars like Mario Williams going to the Bills because he tested the market and found a better deal. On Madden the Texans will always resign him and you will never find any superstar in FA. You will find 30+ year old players who are nothing more than a quick fix if you can't get anybody else but you can't build a team around them. Superstar has always been terrible and it just takes up room on the disc in my opinion. NCAA is a great game that has more replay value than madden but I'm a bigger NFL fan than a college football fan so I want madden to be much better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »