Home

Does All-Madden Typically Give You A Fair Game?

This is a discussion on Does All-Madden Typically Give You A Fair Game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Does All-Madden Typically Give You A Fair Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
If I win the SUper Bowl with my 49ers, it won't feel "wrong" anymore. My problem will be the question "how much success is too much success?" If I improve my team through the draft and free agency, and win more Super Bowls, when does it become unfun and ridiculous? On the other hand, why even ask that until I get there?

And if you DO get there, you could just do some off-season limiting of yourself. I have one simple house rule for re-signing and it's kept the FA season interesting for all teams (including mine). Granted, I run a 32-team franchise, largely for this reason, and the rule applies to all squads. The rule has cost me my starting QB 2 years in a row and now I'm having to roll with a rookie with upside...but right now...not so much.

Also lost a good DT, had to franchise an OLB, let other players walk, etc.

FA is a frenzy - and it's fun to watch the CPU teams duel and fight for talent. One team signed 14 FAs - it was crazy to watch! Can't wait to see how they end up this year.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #18
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
the USER is smarter then the CPU and that isn't fun for me.
I completely agree... and that is a real problem. That is one reason why I was messing with coach mode sliders. I know not everyone wants to play coach mode, but I find it fun.

Quote:
I don't want players playing like robots out there.
We have talked about this before a lot, but I don't think they are playing like robots. When I say that I want the ratings respected, I am not looking for the higher rated player to win on ever down. The Patriots front 7 is filled with defenders who have 95+ block shedding. While their defense couldn't stop a nose bleed... that was because teams THREW all over them. If I try and line up against them with my 49ers O-Line, it should be an epic battle. If I have to face the Colts... Frank Gore should threaten the single game rushing record. [Which I did in Madden 11, but not even close in M12]

In the 2-4 nickle, my 49ers have Aldon SMith [99PMV] Justin Smith [97PMV] Ray McDonald [87PMV] and Ahmad Brooks [90 or 91 PMV] That front 4 should cause problems most games when I drop 7 players into coverage.

Part of the trick is when I play games against my 49ers. I don't want them to play that much better or worse than when I am using them. When I started using your Black Sliders, the 49ers front 7 was brutalizing the teams I was using... then when I used the 49ers in a rematch, I would watch thme get pancaked, stuck in patty cake animations, and just be generally worthless. Against the 49ers, I watch that O-Line pummel my defense and Frank ran all over. When I use my tam, my line has their blocks shed instantly. I just didn't find that fun.

In short, I want to be able to play to my strengths and have to worry and hide my weaknesses. We all know Madden isn't a great game of football, but I want to try and get the most realism and fun that I can out of it. While I haven't played in a while, when I last played, I had some great exciting games. Sadly, I lost two thanks to Alex turning the ball over... so it's not like Iam going 16-0.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #19
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
And if you DO get there, you could just do some off-season limiting of yourself.
For sure. That's half the fun. I like Josh Morgan in real life, but now he is a Redskin. Most 49ers fans are surprised that we got Goldson, Roger and Brooks back. Those were our three big defensive free agents. I am worried about what we are going to do when Bowman's contract is up in a few years. I want to keep that linebacker core together for years... they are all so young and talented. I don't know what i ma going to do in a few season when Justin Smith gets old. He is like 33 or something already. You don't really replace a guy like that.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Yup. I've ultimately gone with a custom set that Jarrod built for me from an All Madden base. With All Pro I found that I had to make a bunch of house rules to avoid slaughtering the CPU, but with a custom All Madden set, I've found a really balanced game where I have to respect the matchups and can win and lose without feeling cheap in any way. I can't imagine playing All Pro again.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

Agree with many, fair no, challenge yes

The main problem with all-madden was that alot of animations are lost and it doesnt 'feel' as a real game would flow and what i would expect to see nor how i want to play (quicker releases , specific plays that have higher chance of catch/ specific run plays)

So for a while i have been using all-pro that has a great 'feel' to it and them using the sliders from there to a perfect fair vs challenge level
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
For sure. That's half the fun. I like Josh Morgan in real life, but now he is a Redskin. Most 49ers fans are surprised that we got Goldson, Roger and Brooks back. Those were our three big defensive free agents. I am worried about what we are going to do when Bowman's contract is up in a few years. I want to keep that linebacker core together for years... they are all so young and talented. I don't know what i ma going to do in a few season when Justin Smith gets old. He is like 33 or something already. You don't really replace a guy like that.
Yep, I'd want the same things if I was running with the 49ers I love awesome LBs. I drafted for them for years and my defense is mostly LBs playing except at DT/NT and the secondary. I put a lot on them, responsibility-wise.

I know the feeling - when my stud MLB starts to slow down, retires, or *cries at the thought* walks via FA - I don't know what I'm going to do defensively. So spoiled by him. He's so good he plays LB the way it supposed to be played - filling windows, sniffing out plays, being a fearsome force.

BTW, I've also done the "play against your team" method. It's half of how I test my sliders and why I eventually settled on the base that I did, especially with the linebacker play. (I can't edit in double-team pass blocking, but I can alter how the LBs fill and flow!) and might have to try it again with pass rushing. Just got an idea for a base set.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 6

All-Madden has gotten much easier this year and I actually would prefer it to be harder. It used to be impossible because you couldn't do anything and the computer would make all the plays but now it is nearly fair. I'm too good for it to be a challenge but I'm sure other players would find it challenging.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #24
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Wait, are you trying to tell me that if Romo was healthy and didn't throw games away, that your team would be a playoff contender? What are the odds? That was my problem when playing franchise the last several years.
Lol, I think what I'm trying to say is that Dallas's offense is ready-made to excel by Madden standards (and in real life standards as well for that matter). So essentially, unless I have my sliders set to encourage the CPU to move the ball, it's hard to lose games b/c I have good players at all the skilled positions on offense.

If I were to leave the settings in a way that ratings mattered, but the AI remained inept at using its weapons, I'd have no fun.

I finished this past franchise season at 12-4...but it was more satisfying than any other season I've played b/c they were tough wins for the most part.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »