Home

Are we getting new commentators this year?

This is a discussion on Are we getting new commentators this year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Are we getting new commentators this year?

Really, I haven't kept commentary on since Madden 2007. Even when it was decent, I turned it off eventually.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
It's not the commentators, it's the sound system.

Every few years there is a cycle, let's get rid of Tom Hammond, let's get rid of Collingsworth, etc......

It doesn't matter if you brought in Troy Aikman and Joe Buck, the commentating won't sound good until the sound improves in Madden.
Exactly. I enjoy both Gus and Chris in real life, but the way commentary is set up in Madden is terrible and really takes away from their talent.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

For me, commentary is critical for the immersion factor. I can't simply turn it off because then the game becomes twice as stagnant and stale than I find it already.

I don't care if they stick with Chris and Gus or replace them, but if the commentary is as ridiculous as it was in 10 and 11 then I'll skip on 13. I just know it'll be collecting dust after 2 weeks as usual if this is the case. The only exception would be if the on field sounds and overall atmosphere are improved to the point where they can carry the game instead.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
Rookie

megatronisabeast's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't like the fact that they say the same thing every game. Every time Jay Cutler is playing they say it is X season. Doesn't matter how may seasons he played they always say its X number. Or how a rookie is still a rookie ten years later. They need to turn that commentary off when it doesn't apply the next season in a franchise.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

well its gonna be chris and gus because one game changers said they was in the studio doing new lines for 13 awhile back i just hope they fix the pop sound that drives me more nuts then the annoucers i have keep my tv low because of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsco28
To each his own. I turned the commentary off in 12 and was completely satisfied. I agree that good announcers add to the immersive feel, but I don't need announcers to tell me what I can see for myself. Same in real life. I can sit and watch a football game without being told what is happening.
that's great and i'm very happy for you. not sure what it has to do with my decision making process. but thanks for your sharing.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Like Roadman and others have stated, it's not reasonable to judge any of the commentators based on Madden's commentary because the developers have stated it was the system and they have allegedly changed it.

The thing I have noticed about the Madden community and maybe it's just groups of people for anything, is that many don't seem to try to see the bigger picture. Like the way many wishlists consist of things from last-gen Madden whether they are realistic or not and how people ask for things like "Fair Play" and new commentators instead of fundamental change in the way things work in Madden.

I personally believe EA has everything in-house they need to make not only the commentary but Madden as a whole more authentic and the community needs to "encourage" the developers to do so.
i don't pay 60 dollars to see the big picture or to encourage someone to do their job at an above average level. i pay that money for a fun game that will entertain me when there isn't anything better to do. i think you're asking a bit much of the average consumer.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #24
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
i don't pay 60 dollars to see the big picture or to encourage someone to do their job at an above average level. i pay that money for a fun game that will entertain me when there isn't anything better to do. i think you're asking a bit much of the average consumer.
I am not understanding what paying $60 has to do with "asking" the average consumer to separate bad commentators from a bad commentary system. Especially considering when, not too long ago, Gus replacing Hammond did nothing to add excitement to Madden's commentary, imo, in spite of Gus's commentary being obviously more inflected than Hammond's.

As far as the big picture in regards to Madden in general, I believe it's EA's job to give people what they ask for. So if an intentionally ignorant consumer base is asking Madden developers to address symptoms instead of root problems it's reasonable for them to receive exactly what they are requesting, imo.

I believe more informed consumers lead to better quality products and services but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »