Home

A Reality Check About Game Development

This is a discussion on A Reality Check About Game Development within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
A Reality Check About Game Development

I think I am often very critical of next-gen Madden and the decisions that have been made concerning it but sometimes ignorantly so. I know that I can not possibly be as smart as I think I am and therefore don't mind admitting when I am wrong. lol

Anyway, I happened to stumble on a recording DaCzar's radio show Saturday night and it really caused me to "pump my brakes" about my approach towards developers. I would like posters that are interested, to listen to the topic discussion on the show and post their perspective on it, in relation to Madden.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/daczar/...evelopment-101

I personally enjoyed the entire show but game development is specifically discussed starting at the 27:00 minute mark and lasts until the end of the show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: A Reality Check About Game Development

Football can be properly represented and respected in video games. Any excuse saying otherwise is just that... an excuse.

I love all the fake percentages he makes up while talking.

With all this talk about time... they had the Time to create a secret Dev team. They had time to create fake 1980's 49ers White pants. They had time to do and create a lot of stuff that don't need to be in the game while saying they don't have the time to create and do things that DO need to be in the game.

Last edited by PGaither84; 04-02-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Basically I felt like that podcast offered up the same tired excuses for the developers that we always hear. They have a hard job, they are under time contstraints, they are making a game to sell the most copies and not necessarily the game I want them to make.

At the end of the day, none of that matters. They face the same problems every other game developer faces. Either the game they release is fun to me and I buy it or it isn't and I'll choose to buy other games instead.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

AMEN BROTHA!!!

Started the show at 27:00 and listened to the rest... I agree with practically every word DaCzar was saying. Great show. Better discussion.

If only they weren't talking so much about basketball... lol

Later
Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Football can be properly represented and respected in video games. Any excuse saying otherwise is just that... an excuse.

I love all the fake percentages he makes up while talking.

With all this talk about time... they had the Time to create a secret Dev team. They had time to create fake 1980's 49ers White pants. They had time to do and create a lot of stuff that don't need to be in the game while saying they don't have the time to create and do things that DO need to be in the game.
I have to say, I expected better from you. Do you really think that the inclusion of the dev team in the game bounced Online Franchise from being updated or something? I'm not even being sarcastic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZoneD25
I have to say, I expected better from you. Do you really think that the inclusion of the dev team in the game bounced Online Franchise from being updated or something? I'm not even being sarcastic.
I think it took time away from adding away throwback uniforms.

The uniforms they created could have been uniforms or uniform correction time. Player creation could have been spent on making other players look more accurate.

Coding the team into the game and how to unlock them could have been spent on something else.

So, yes. Yes I do. Time was spent on things non essential to the game that could have been spent somewhere else, yet they still want to cry about not having enough time.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
Rookie

Soprano00's Arena

OVR: 1

they sold 5 millions copies of M12 earning around 250 millions dollars (for 1 year) and the matter of the topic is development time ?

LOL
Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

We can't make excuses for Madden/NCAA forever. When you have games like The Show, NBA 2k, and Fifa doing excellent jobs with their games (including the "little things") its tough to look at the football games with the same thought process. And just to throw gas on the fire -- all of those games have "competition" on the market.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »