Home

the biggest problem in madden 12

This is a discussion on the biggest problem in madden 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: the biggest problem in madden 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFacedOLB
I guess when someone comes up with an actual gameplay advantage to having an 80 overall guy compared to a 70 overall guy then maybe it will have some merit to it. As of now it doesnt make any difference at all outside of trades and contract time. On the field its all about the individual ratings, overall is irrelevent.

Where is the huge issue again?
I dont think people are necessarily talking about only OVR... all of the ratings need to be stretched out...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Can someone give me some examples of where players ratings are bunched close together?

The reason I ask is I've been editing rosters in a big way and they look pretty stretched to me. I see WRs, HBs, and DBs with 80 sp, acc, agi, QBs with tp under 80, ta under 70, lbs with tkl less than 70, prc and awr less than 40, olinemen with pbk less than 70 etc all over the place. Some of these guys are rated so low it's a wonder they even got invited to a training camp.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeterso
Can someone give me some examples of where players ratings are bunched close together?

The reason I ask is I've been editing rosters in a big way and they look pretty stretched to me. I see WRs, HBs, and DBs with 80 sp, acc, agi, QBs with tp under 80, ta under 70, lbs with tkl less than 70, prc and awr less than 40, olinemen with pbk less than 70 etc all over the place. Some of these guys are rated so low it's a wonder they even got invited to a training camp.
But does that affect how the perform on the field in a realistic manner? I don't want to turn this into a ratings effectiveness debate but if lowly skill rated players can perform like higher rated ones, what's the point of ratings?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
But does that affect how the perform on the field in a realistic manner? I don't want to turn this into a ratings effectiveness debate but if lowly skill rated players can perform like higher rated ones, what's the point of ratings?
What do you mean can perform like higher rated ones?

If I use New England and play as Tom Brady and then go to Minnesota and am stuck with Ponder you bet I notice a difference. Same goes if I play against the Colts and then take on the Giants, I notice a difference. I'm not sure what else I should expect.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

@mpeterso, my bad for being so "short" and I will try to clarify. Aside from the QB position and the SPD rating what differences do you notice in on-field performance with players with varying skill ratings?

For example, if two CB's both have high zone and man ratings but one has far greater AWR, do you notice an on-field performance difference? I believe it was said somewhere by somebody that man/zone ratings possibly override AWR for DB's so I will also offer a second example.

If two LB's have the same SPD but one has far greater tackle and block shedding, do you notice an on-field performance dropoff when the lesser skill rated LB is on the field?

I don't really play m12 for the most part anymore but there seems to have been a far more psychological placebo effect to bringing in lesser skilled players opposed to any noticeable on-field detriment, imo. The only thing I worried about as far as injury was having to put someone in with lower SPD and even with QB's, except for maybe this one particular online ranked game, I had little concern about gunslinging with Grossman, if need be.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
Rookie

No worries Big FN Deal - I don't play online or head to head much... if ever, so maybe my experience is different. I do notice in games I play against the cpu when a guy like Leon Washington comes in for Lynch or Brandon Mebane gets a rest for a guy like Pep Levingston.

In the case of Washington vs Lynch, the biggest differences are Lynch's superior tackle breaking vs Washington quicker burst, both of which I notice when they're in the game. For instance, inside runs with 8 in the box don't work near as well with Washington in the game, whereas as a quick pass or draw out of the gun usually is more effective with him in the game instead of Lynch.

Same goes with Mebane vs Levingston; there is a noticeable difference is run defense when Mebane is in the game. When a guy like Levingston is in the game it just seems like opponents are able to ram the ball right down the Seahawks throats whereas if Mebane is in the game the D seems much stouter.

The same applies to the CPU teams as well. If Mike Vick is in the Eagles seem much tougher to defend than when Vince Young is playing. I've noticed similar differences when back ups were in games in place of stars.

On the flip side I will say that when 50 something LBs like Malcolm Smith and Adrian Moten have come in for my Seahawks they haven't looked horrible, or seemed noticeably worse than Leroy Hill or David Hawthorne. So maybe it depends on position. Or maybe my style of play is a factor. Regardless, I can't say it's negatively affected my experience. A bigger issue for me is how dumb the cpu's offensive play calling and decision making is at times. The CPU seems to love deep passes too much and doesn't ever seem to call screens. But that is another topic, so I'll leave it at that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »