Home

End of Console Generations is Not an Excuse for No Innovation

This is a discussion on End of Console Generations is Not an Excuse for No Innovation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: End of Console Generations is Not an Excuse for No Innovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Doesn't this fall squarely into the 'we don't know what all they are doing this year yet' category? Current consoles have known limitations, only so much can be done, but they've made improvements and changes every year.

Who is banging the 'no innovation until next gen' drum anyways? Which seems to be the crux of the entire article.

Below are two screenshots of Madden 11 and of Madden 12, if you think that's merely an incremental change in the way the game looks, from lighting to grass and how he's even holding the ball... there's no point in really going on.

The games aren't perfect (nor were the games in the past), but man, the hyperbole in these threads is getting pretty thick:

"This generation has been almost a complete waste"

"Madden 13 is make or break" (the number just gets incremented every year for this quote)

"If EA uses kincet in this years version; i wil just not buy it." This is the typical OS 'well EA is doing something we are asking them to, but not what I want so it's bad/wrong'

"Tweak, tweak, tweak until the new consoles come out is crap but it's what we are seeing."

I look forward to when the sticky rules are back in force again closer to release.
Yeah, because what's really been holding the series back is graphics.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #26
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Yeah, because what's really been holding the series back is graphics.
You prove my point, thanks. Another 'they improved something that doesn't count'. Would you say the same if I posted the free agency bidding screen, pictures of the improved presentation, team runout, the video that lists all the other franchise improvements, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by mestevo; 04-11-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
Rookie

mcmax3000's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3
Is Madden 13 the last Madden before the license expires? I don't want to hear " they're just going to extend" because that's not what I'm asking.
From what I was able to find, it goes through 2013, meaning that Madden 14 would be the last game under the current deal...

But yes, they're likely just going to extend.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #28
Pro

EA typically strip a game down to it's bare bones whenever a new console is released. I remember their PGA game on the PS1 being released with 2 measly courses. Madden 06 on the 360 is yet another example. To say that they have great big plans for the next generation of consoles when they're not even getting the best out of this generation is utter nonsense.
EA think that it's enough just to make the game look good in static screenshots. Yes there is an argument that any new piece of technology brings with it some obstacles that may have to be overcome before developers can get the best out of them, but this argument can only go so far & certainly doesn't justify some of the poor quality games we have been given.
No doubt when Madden is released on the next gen console we can expect a stripped down Franchise Mode & zero presentation with bugged gameplay. Oh well at least the commentary can't get any worse.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #29
Rookie

PaleVermilion's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
You prove my point, thanks. Another 'they improved something that doesn't count'. Would you say the same if I posted the free agency bidding screen, pictures of the improved presentation, team runout, the video that lists all the other franchise improvements, etc?

I would personally say the biggest thing that they suck at is the core gameplay. You know, the part that keeps people playing it long term. A game can look all pretty, but if the core gameplay sucks what does it matter? And for all their innovation with presentation, NFL2k5 still blows them out of the water. But at least I can see my team running out of the tunnel.

Sent from my 1975 typewriter using Telekinesis
Old 04-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:

Sorry, when did I say graphics don't count? I must have missed that. Can you show me?

My point is the graphics are great and all but there's a reason Madden is in the situation it's in right now and looked at in the light it's looked at right now. I'll give you a hint: it's not the great graphics.

I'm pretty sure 9/10 people here (if not 10/10) would trade where the graphics are at now for where the gameplay is at now in a heartbeat.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #31
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Just more of the same, as if EA finds millions of new customers every year (they dont), and invoking the sacred 2k5 (again, will be happy when the sticky rules are finally enforced again). You'd think the gameplay has been the same since Madden 06 by many of the posts here, of course many probably consider Madden a roster update and little more every year which is probably the least genuine statement anyone can make.

If we get half as many improvements to 13 as we saw in 12, many here will be pretty happy - but we have no idea what they've done with 13 yet, but this gen has been written off, nothing to see here.

I would have expected the "can you be objective..." thread to come from a staff member and this thread created by one of the many jaded who post here, not the other way around.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
Quote:
Just more of the same, as if EA finds millions of new customers every year (they dont), and invoking the sacred 2k5 (again, will be happy when the sticky rules are finally enforced again). You'd think the gameplay has been the same since Madden 06 by many of the posts here, of course many probably consider Madden a roster update and little more every year which is probably the least genuine statement anyone can make.

If we get half as many improvements to 13 as we saw in 12, many here will be pretty happy - but we have no idea what they've done with 13 yet, but this gen has been written off, nothing to see here.

I would have expected the "can you be objective..." thread to come from a staff member and this thread created by one of the many jaded who post here, not the other way around.

Your commentary is slightly belittling to members who are not jaded but rather are tired of the same excuses year after year. You should understand that outside of sales, Madden this gen has done virtually nothing to be successful as a franchise. That's why people mention 2K5 or NBA 2K11, FIFA, The Show etc. Those games and their companies earn our $65 almost every year. People respect the efforts they put into their product. Madden used to do the same, but now with no competition, we are 8 games into next gen with basic features and core gameplay still broken.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »