Home

In a nutshell, what's wrong with next gen madden.

This is a discussion on In a nutshell, what's wrong with next gen madden. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: In a nutshell, what's wrong with next gen madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
i never had this above scenario in old gen...nor does this happen in real life. it's extremely rare if it happens at all. You never see a pendulum swing so one- sided so often.
I have.

I remember playing 05-07 on the PC and seeing a lot of the same things you mentioned in your OP.

Of course, they still happen now, which is sad, but I disagree that they never/rarely occurred prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
I hear what your saying. Not every game but sometimes I feel the CPU wants a close game. The end result is a close game but how we got there isn't the most realistic.
I've read on here that there's "game types" that get generated. One of them is the "tale of two halves" type where you/CPU get have a decided advantage in one half, then the reverse in the other.

I don't know how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited by KBLover; 04-11-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I've read on here that there's "game types" that get generated. One of them is the "tale of two halves" type where you/CPU get have a decided advantage in one half, then the reverse in the other.

I don't know how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.
I think you may be right... I do remember something like that on here as well.

For example, I just played a game against the Bills in my franchise where the 1st half I was dominated on the scoreboard. I was down 24-7 basically due to 2 QB Sack fumbles on my own 10 yard line and Welker fumble at Midfield (returned for a TD). Another fumble by Ridley on the Bills 3 yard line and a Pick 6 in the Red Zone. Could of been worse on the scoreboard, but I picked them off after one my fumbles and they missed a FG. However, I came back and won 28-24.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #19
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
My gripe is the game play feels....I don't know...OFF? To me there's generally a lack of realistic flow to the game. I mostly feels like a) the cpu screws me and/or b) the cpu makes it easy. It's like the cpu giveth and the cpu taketh away.

I feel games are won and lost not so much because of my skills or decisions during games...but because the cpu either aides or stops me with turnovers, penalties and big plays.
Yes, I agree 100%. The whole post pretty much mirrors my experience and frustrations with the game.

I have played 4 offline seasons with different teams. It has basically amounted to an endless slider project. On paper, results actually look great. I win about half my games. Scores are realistic, and stats are good enough for me. So far so good.

But playing the game just isn't fun as it just doesn't feel like I have much to do with the outcome. And the door swings both ways. I have made bad decisions and thrown directly to a defender only to have him bail out and let my WR make the catch. I have gotten myself totally out of position on defense, and the CPU throws directly to one of my CPU teammates leaving me with the daunting task of pushing forward on the thumb stick for an easy pick-6. Yawn. And of course the opposite happens on those rare occaisions when I actually do make a good read, and the CPU defense will perform some supernatural feat.

And for a decade I have been complaining about the artificial fantasitic finishes.

While I certainly have some complaints about NCAA12, I do feel I have a bit more input while playing that game. But Madden just has a different feel.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
Perhaps the OP should ask the question....*In a nutshell, what's RIGHT with Next-Gen Madden?*

Please refer to post 12...also feel free to search for my thread on what "Madden does right".

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #21
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Just wrapped up my 4th season with the game, and it really summed up my experience with M12...and ties back to the OP.

I am the Ravens hosting the Steel Curtain in the divisional playoffs. In the first half I totally suck. My offense is getting stuffed, and Pittsburgh is moving the effectively on the ground and through the air. I am lucky to only be down 21-7 at the half.

In the 3rd quarter, my offense still sucks, but it seems the CPU is beginning to feel sorry for me. Big Ben who was sharp in the first half, is now missing receivers by a mile with passes landing 5 yards out of bounds. Neither team scores in the 3rd.

We go to the 4th, and here is where things get fishy. I know that talk of comeback logic or scripted games is always a touchy subject here on OS. But this next play is the type of situation I see way too often, and makes me think there is something odd under the hood. With time running out, I have to start throwing the ball down field. I have Lee Evans running a deep fade route, and I am totally tunnel visioned on him. I misread the corner back and make a horrible decision and throw it. The CB is dropping back in perfect position to make a play. Should have been a pick, or at least knock it down. But nope, it goes right past him and it is a 60 yard pickup for me. A few plays later I score a TD, get a quick 3 and out, and score another TD to tie it up at 21. I won't bore you with the final 3 minutes, but there was plenty more drama and spectacular plays with Pittsburgh pulling it out by a FG.

The box score looks great. But playing it just felt so artificial.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #22
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
No competition.
yup. i don't care what anyone else says -- that is the entirety of the problem right there.

and the worst part is, even if madden still sucked, at least we'd have other options.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.

Last edited by blklightning; 04-15-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #23
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

In a nut shell, the op is right. It does just feel off. Especially when compared to other games on this console. In the ps2 days, I was more willing to accept Madden's shortcomings as simply being the limitations of the system. Sure it didn't look as pretty as 2k5, but the controls felt more responsive to me and that was a trade off I was willing to make back then.

I simply can't accept that anymore. I can't stand watching the lineplay with no real push or movement, the db's simply mirroring routes of the wrs they cover. I can't accept cpu controlled lbs that have insane reaction times and make one handed ints while my user controlled lb is liable to go for the pick even tho I pressed the swat button.

It's just not acceptable. Not on these systems. Not when basketball fans get a game like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTPBCWheCXo

When baseball fans get this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZCMLOQv9E

And especially not when there is an unlicensed football game available that's 4 years old and looks like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MIxS7O6Zgw

With those games on the table, I can't rationalize spending my time on a game that looks like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_gAXt7hSCM

It's doesn't look like the sport when I see it. It doesn't feel like the sport when I play it. It looks and plays like a very mediocre video game, which is exactly what it is.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #24
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

One might say that's precisely why Cam Weber is now working on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »