Home

Imagine if Madden hadn't removed these features....

This is a discussion on Imagine if Madden hadn't removed these features.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
MVP

EAGLESFAN10's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Imagine if Madden hadn't removed these features....

I would like for these 2 still be in Madden but I dont think it would matter because people would still be like "It still isnt done right"

BRON IS THE GOAT!!

Louisville, Kentucky is My Hometown
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
2. Coverage assignments....in real life I can choose who my #1 corner will cover. ie. if I'm playing the Pats, even if Welker is a slot guy I want my best cover corner on him.
This is in the game and has been since 09.

Quote:
3. Weapons....I thought this was cheezy at the time but I found it alerted me as to when backup DB had come into the game so I could go after him. As it is now the cpu may sub and I don't know it...in real life they know who's coming into the game. The only other solution would be to notify the user that "so and so is replaced by what's his name".
Glad this is gone. Looked stupid, and was a waste of time. It was just visual feedback. What we need are the names under the players when we click the L trigger to see who is on the field defensively, just liek when we see our players names.

Quote:
10. Sub packages and easier substitution menus...remember when you could call a play, highlight the position and then click to sub in your backup RB?
This is also still in the game. When you call a play by formation, you can flick the Right thumb stick and they have a ton of package substitution presets, and you can hit the Right Bumper to do individual substitutions.

WR Flip, Spell HB, Dual HB [where the #2HB replaced the FB] and all sorts of other packages. In goal line there is a Tampa package that used the DT at FB like the Bears did with the Fridge and the Buccs did with Sapp. There is also a "Patriot" package that uses linebackers like how NE did for a number of years with Mike Vrable.

Go into practice mode and see for yourself. Get used to what packages are available. They are not difficult to use. Sure, if you are playing a game and trying to use it for the first time it can be confusing, but that's not an excuse. Once you know what you can do and how to do it, it's really fast and easy. On defense I run the 3-4 and in different alignments I like to use OLB flip or DE flip to put Justin Smith and Aldon Smith in different places.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
LOL, does anyone know how to save a choking victim? I should have never read this until after I swallowed my food lol, this was post post of the month right here!
Me too. LOVE IT!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMurda
your #2 coverage assignments is actually in the game and has been since madden 10. but i agree with everything else. all of that stuff is what made the ps2 days games complete. i mean you can barely compare the franchise in this gen to last gen....its so incomplete it aint funny. all they had to do was just expand all this greatness and tone up the graphics to an acceptable level. instead they removed everything feature wise and made the graphics the best part of the game.

It's in the game? You gotta tell me where...I'm having fits with certain receivers.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 04-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
This is in the game and has been since 09.

Glad this is gone. Looked stupid, and was a waste of time. It was just visual feedback. What we need are the names under the players when we click the L trigger to see who is on the field defensively, just liek when we see our players names.

This is also still in the game. When you call a play by formation, you can flick the Right thumb stick and they have a ton of package substitution presets, and you can hit the Right Bumper to do individual substitutions.

WR Flip, Spell HB, Dual HB [where the #2HB replaced the FB] and all sorts of other packages. In goal line there is a Tampa package that used the DT at FB like the Bears did with the Fridge and the Buccs did with Sapp. There is also a "Patriot" package that uses linebackers like how NE did for a number of years with Mike Vrable.

Go into practice mode and see for yourself. Get used to what packages are available. They are not difficult to use. Sure, if you are playing a game and trying to use it for the first time it can be confusing, but that's not an excuse. Once you know what you can do and how to do it, it's really fast and easy. On defense I run the 3-4 and in different alignments I like to use OLB flip or DE flip to put Justin Smith and Aldon Smith in different places.

regarding 1st bold....yeah....you could put that on a list of new things they SHOULD put in the game...and I agree it's better...BUT...I'd take the other thing now over nothing.

Regarding second bold.....I must be a putz....people keep telling me things are in the game and I never knew it......I guess I didn't explore the menus much. Then again the great instruction booklet we get should have told me SOMETHING.

I realize there is a philosophy difference with many of us. Some would rather have something that doesn't work that great in the game instead of not having it at all. Others would prefer the latter. Oh well....to each his own.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
It's in the game? You gotta tell me where...I'm having fits with certain receivers.
After you start a game, pause, go to coaching options and it's under defensive assignments.

I still think the feature needs tweaking because if I go to assign more than the top two receivers, my coverages get all messed up. I'd like to set a backer to only take a halfback or a safety to take the TE, but like smoke said, when the CPU subs, you could wind up with a backer on a wide out or a corner covering no one.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
1. Vision cone....simply put I could tell in an instant the difference in Qb awareness and how it affected my approach as a QB. I remember doing a Vikings chise and using Tavaris Jackson. His cone was so narrow I had to stare the receiver down and go to the one guy on most plays....very realistic. When i played as Peyton all my options were in my field of vision...I just like how that felt.
Tavaris Jackson needed medical attention with a cone sliver that small... I am PROUD to have been a driving force to have the function removed as I forwarded a 1400 word college paper to the devs so they could read all the reasons why QB Vision was worse than having to lick one's own skid marks.

If this function hadn't been taken out, I'm 99.999% sure that I would have retired from video games forever. Absolutely, unequivocally, positively the WORST FUNCTION EVER!!!

That said, lets end on a positive note about functions I'm fond of...

1) Play Editor - play design is essential to the game of football. Since I draw up plays that fit my reads and progressions using my pencil and paper (15 years of plays I've designed), I'd like to use them in a Madden game without waiting for a dev to see a real team using my plays in a real game first. Chuck Noll designed his signature "Trap" play on a napkin for God's sake! Bring back the Play Editor!!!

2) Mini-Games (meaningful) - The DB Swat drill is and forever will be the most valuable drill because the skills it builds are useful on Offense, Defense, and Special teams. The ability to maneuver to the proper spot and time our 'catch/swat' is essential and the most used skill for those that swear by USER control. We need a place to develop.

3) Online Win/Loss Records - I hate quitters. The approach this year was to remove these to reduce 'cheese' online. Unfortunately, it created a situation where you were unable to calculate how many of a players losses were the result of their DNF%. If I'm playing a guy that's 90-10, with a 10% DNF - I know he quits/disco on every loss. I wouldn't want to play him. If I meet a guy that is 10-90 with a 10% DNF, he's likely to stay in games regardless of the score and I'm more apt to play him. As it stands now - I'm flying blind and having to make an uninformed decision based on one number.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
10. Sub packages and easier substitution menus...remember when you could call a play, highlight the position and then click to sub in your backup RB?
It's a lot easier and faster to just right stick it to HB Spell or HB Sub that's available in every formation. As PG noted, there are quite a few packages, and they've gotten more expansive every year. In '12 they finally added the 4DE pass rush in the sub packages of the Giants, Bears and a few others, DE swap is available in every formation now. I've gotten quite fond of moving my Strong Safety around in Nickel. They've got the Big Nickel where he comes down into the slot, they've got SS LB, where he comes down as a linebacker.

There is stuff there to get creative if you dig a little deeper in your playbook, but if you are talking about the old custom packages that you could create before you started a game, I'm right there with you. I'm greedy. I like what we have, but I want more. I miss being able to set my special teams. I'd like to create a package where I can move my stud DT around to End. I'd like a 1 DT, 3 DE package. I drafted a stud linebacker in my franchise with 92 Power Moves. I'd like to build a 3rd down pass rush package where I can drop him to rush end, etc.

I miss the custom packages because it gave me endless possibilities.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 04-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »