Home

Based on League Trends Madden may need Deeper Nickel Package

This is a discussion on Based on League Trends Madden may need Deeper Nickel Package within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Based on League Trends Madden may need Deeper Nickel Package

Was looking at PFF today and they have an interesting breakdown of base and nickel defenses by percentage for teams. Although I'm not so sure I agree with how they have the Ravens, primarily because of the way Suggs plays. But it's an interesting article and I think they need deeper Nickel packages for teams. Here is the article:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...%80%93-part-1/

Every base coverage should be available in in the Nickel. There should also be different variations of those coverages. Standard 2 deep, rolling 2 deep. I would like to see deeper Nickel Normal, 335 packages for teams. I would also like to see better front alignment for these packages. For instance with Nickel 33, when you spread the linebackers, I think the OLB's need to come down on the line of scrimmage outside the DE's. This way if I pinch the DL, spread the OLB's I could actually run Bear Nickel by bringing the SS in the box pending the coverage. It would look like this:

...........................MLB...SS
..............OLB...DE..NT..DE...OLB

I've stated this before, but I think one thing EA should do with defenses in this game is actually give them multiple fronts based on the shifts we have. 2k attempted to do this but there was a bug where the shifting did not work right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Based on League Trends Madden may need Deeper Nickel Package

Interesting read. Really surprising to see that the Giants only played base 4-3 on 22% of their snaps. I know they had a injuries in the linebacking corp, and Fewell has a fondness for the Big Nickel, but wow...

I've thought Madden needed to expand and improve the Nickel for the past few years as I've seen the percentages go up around the league -- especially the fronts. I've seen over and under fronts in real games.

To me, this really adds to the urgency to the need get the line interactions right. When I have referred in the past to the need for better run fits and the need for linemen to command gaps, I was mainly referring to the Nickel packages, because that's where I've seen the most improper fits in the game, especially up the middle.

EDIT: another thought I've had for a while, what does this mean for the old school SAM linebacker? If we're talking 4-3, does he go the way of the fullback? Will there be many more Brian Cushings drafted early if they can't also drop down and rush the passer? I remember a few years ago how Ben Leber seemingly got phased out because the Vikings played so much 4-2-5.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 04-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

The reason why I posted this is because every year some new offensive formation or a host of offensive formations are added to the game and you are at a loss of how to defend it on defense. You mostly have Nickel packages that do not have all the basic coverages. Then you have packages with pretty easy to identify blitz concepts. The spacing is a problem at times too. What they need is pre-snap blitz movement by the rushers. If the Nickel Corner is blitzing he needs to start out lined up over the slot and then he needs to show blitz. He should ideally if timed correctly get a running start. You should not have to manually move the guy to the edge so he can get there faster. This game needs a lot more movement on defense pre-snap. I'm not expecting much though. I've sorta just accepted that the game will be what it will be and I will either like it or not.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Then you have packages with pretty easy to identify blitz concepts. The spacing is a problem at times too. What they need is pre-snap blitz movement by the rushers. If the Nickel Corner is blitzing he needs to start out lined up over the slot and then he needs to show blitz. He should ideally if timed correctly get a running start. You should not have to manually move the guy to the edge so he can get there faster. This game needs a lot more movement on defense pre-snap. I'm not expecting much though. I've sorta just accepted that the game will be what it will be and I will either like it or not.
Would the coverage shells that 2K had be the answer here to the movement, or is another movement mechanic needed? Because the easily identifiable blitzes have really stuck out to me. I come to the LOS with 18 left on the clock, wait a beat, and the safeties rotate, when in real life the defense waits as long as possible in the playclock to show. "You can't show 3 that early. That's a veteran quarterback. He gone throw it every time", is what I remember from an old Sound FX ep. where Ray Lewis was correcting his DB's on the sideline.

Here's an old vid from Sean Payton's Show where he was breaking down the Redskins' late movement and the challenge it presented to his offense. There's also bracket coverage on the outside that I think should be added to the game:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000.../Payton-s-Plan

Playbook segment on Giants' Nickel
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...ense-on-a-roll

3:40 breakdown of the Giants' struggle to stop the run in Nickel
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...ills-vs-Giants

Greg Cosell breaks down the Giants' use of the Nickel package in the Super Bowl and how it broke down Brady.
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/02/08/c...defense-rests/

Here is a pretty cool vid from Smart Football of Bud Foster breaking down one of his blitzes from the slot. It's not technically out of Nickel, even though Tech will use the Whip backer as a hybrid safety/linebacker, but the one thing that sticks out to me is the movement of the defensive line and how they HAVE to get to certain gaps to make it work.
http://smartfootball.com/defense/bud...d-dog-pressure
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

Gotta say that ALL the coverages need an upgrade... I run a ton of Nickel and 4-3 coverages and I find them all to be lacking.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Interesting read. Really surprising to see that the Giants only played base 4-3 on 22% of their snaps. I know they had a injuries in the linebacking corp, and Fewell has a fondness for the Big Nickel, but wow...
Man, and I was contemplating if going "base Nickle" with my defense in franchise would be realistic. This sounds like the next best thing...

Wow.

BTW, I agree with what's been said.

Between this and true tiered defensive play calling - it would help out quite a bit (assuming it was executed correctly).
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Man, and I was contemplating if going "base Nickle" with my defense in franchise would be realistic. This sounds like the next best thing...

Wow.

Between this and true tiered defensive play calling - it would help out quite a bit (assuming it was executed correctly).
I already run a base 2-4-5 with GB online and Arizona in my 2 sim leagues. Been running it for 2 years now.

It has been much better this year since they added Sugar Blitz, Sugar 3 Seam, Sugar 3 Overload, Sugar 2 Buzz, Sugar 3 DB Fire, Sugar 3 Bluff, Cover 3 Bluff, Slant Zone 2, Cross Fire 0, and several prowl plays as it lets me get really creative with GB's personnel. You can run so many fire zone blitzes and back them up with plays that give similar looks but drop guys into coverage.

Last year I essentially had to play a soft tampa 2 scheme with it since it didn't have a ton of solid blitzes but this year I've dusted off my inner Dom Capers and probably spend about 70% of my defensive snaps in either 2-4-5 or 2-3-6. With 25-28% of the snaps in 3-4 and the rest in 2-3-6 Odd.

Also I love how we still have to refer to GB as a base 3-4 team when they barely run it on a 1/4 of their snaps. I think they ran it eve less the year before last.

EDIT:
To add, all the coverages need work. Especially the fire zone coverages. The outside hook zones in a fire zone coverage are supposed to look seam then go after anyone at the flats but instead they take massive steps outside right at the snap leaving many seam routes wide open unless you manually move them inside. You shouldn't have to do that.

Last edited by baller7345; 04-12-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

Wow.

When I draft now I'm mainly thinking Nickel, because I see so much 3 receiver. When I was scouting linebackers, my number one criteria was that he would be able to stay on the field and cover in Nickel. And I'm still playing around with my packages in Nickel Normal, trying to evolve my thought process when I have to focus on stopping the run in it. I drafted a safety that reminds me of Bob Sanders, so I'm having fun moving him all around. My perimeter run defense is so much better when I've got him in the slot in Big Nickel, and I'm still formulating situations to drop him down as one of the linebackers.

And I went back and looked over that chart again and I was very surprised that Dime 4-1-6 barely gets used at in the NFL, except by Buffalo 21%, and Stl. 27%, the Dollar even less, and Quarters is nowhere to be found AT ALL. I've been noticing the past few years that most teams stay in Nickel when offenses come out in 4 wide. Wish I had a coaches tape to see what kind of coverages are preferred; I'm guessing quarters. But this would be another reason to deepen the nickel packages in the game because right now nickel is a tough matchup against 4 wides. Just to keep in line with what I've been observing, when I'm playing in Madden, I have gotten into the habit of never bringing out the Dime unless it's 3rd down. After reading this, I may now use it even less.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 04-13-2012 at 12:57 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »