Home

Draft Lessons from "The Master" Bill Walsh

This is a discussion on Draft Lessons from "The Master" Bill Walsh within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Draft Lessons from "The Master" Bill Walsh

A great read/listen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...rom-the-master

This obviously applies to Madden, so I thought I would post this here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Draft Lessons from "The Master" Bill Walsh

Great read.

I have to watch myself with the "round trap", especially since how the game goes with scouting - try not to get caught up with "well, he's a 4th round kid, so I can let him sit on the board until the 3rd round." Instead, I should think, "that kid can fit in our system and help the team, let's get him."

With #3, I always think about Reggie Bush and how the Texans "blew it" by not picking Bush. Yet, who's saying that now (or even 2-3 years later)? In Madden, that's harder to recreate based on the scouting system, but I know I've taken kids high that had upside...and never reached it *glares at his Bucs' LT...*

Unfortunately, #4 and #5 don't apply in Madden No college stats or filled in ratings based on college information, etc. We can't even risk a high-flyer with high evaluation that "scouts-well" and ends up being average or worse...

#6 only half applies, but I always try to look for kids who at least have the beginnings of a profile that fits my scheme and that I can say "I'd use him as X right now." I know realistically, he'll need to develop, etc, but if it came to it, I want to say that about the kid.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

Speaking of number 6, I cannot wait for madden to implement a 'playbook learning system' sorta like NFL Head Coach 09.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I wish importing NCAA classes would finally work properly.

I haven't tried with NCAA 12, but With Madden 11 and NCAA 11, if you imported 95+ OVR Andrew Luck, he would normally come in as like a 3rd to 5th round C potential prospect, but we expect the Colts to take him with the first pick, and it wasn't like he came out of nowhere this year. We were expecting that last year too for the Panthers... excpet he stayed in school.

If playing NCAA dynasty really mattered with importing rookies, I would do it. However, I think the hand crafted rookies work better right now... so be it. I am not attached to college players anyway.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Pro

This year the imported draft classes actually work pretty well if you go and edit the rosters in NCAA. The only thing I don't like, and I don't really know how to fix it, is that each players' potential is slated to whatever round they are projected to go in.
Round 1 = A
Round 2 = B
Round 3 = B
Round 4 = C
Round 5 = D
Round 6 = D or F
Round 7 = F
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblake16x
This year the imported draft classes actually work pretty well if you go and edit the rosters in NCAA. The only thing I don't like, and I don't really know how to fix it, is that each players' potential is slated to whatever round they are projected to go in.
Round 1 = A
Round 2 = B
Round 3 = B
Round 4 = C
Round 5 = D
Round 6 = D or F
Round 7 = F

Wow, that's messed up. It's like the exact opposite of the default classes.

Not very realistic either.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblake16x
Actually, for me that's the exact opposite of "working pretty well". A draft class without busts or hidden gems is not working well for me, it's just plain boring. Until they somehow get something like that into imported draft classes, the feature is pretty useless to me.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Actually, for me that's the exact opposite of "working pretty well". A draft class without busts or hidden gems is not working well for me, it's just plain boring. Until they somehow get something like that into imported draft classes, the feature is pretty useless to me.
They work pretty well compared to previous years. And also I have a draft class that has, for the most part, the first round and second round pretty darn accurate. The WR's seem to be the only position I cannot get right with the 2012 class; Alshon Jeffery and Justin Blackmon refuse to go in the first, even though they are both rated higher in NCAA than Michael Floyd.

We can always edit potential up, which I usually do anyway. I write down guys in my mind who should be A potential, and I will edit them no matter which team they are drafted to. So say Chris Polk goes in the 5th to the Patriots... I edit him to maybe a low 70 depending on the depth chart situation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »