Home

STOP THE WHINING! MADDEN IS VERY REALISTIC!!!...

This is a discussion on STOP THE WHINING! MADDEN IS VERY REALISTIC!!!... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2003, 03:56 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: STOP THE WHINING! MADDEN IS VERY REALISTIC!!!...

I don't bash either because I like them both. I also would never waste my time trying to convince someone why one is better than the other or argue about it. What's the point?
Old 10-08-2003, 06:38 PM   #34
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

jake44np said:
Go over to their forum right know and look at how many of the post are issues about something wrong with the game! Then take a look at the madden board and hardly any of the post are post complaining about the game!

Hell, there are hardly any posts about Madden AT ALL on the Madden Board. All the Madden complainers hit the boards when the game first came out and gave up on Madden after ESPN released. The reason you see alot of complaining on the ESPN forum is from Madden Fans in transition....guys who either are no longer playing Madden and have "switched" to ESPN and/or guys who are playing ESPN along WITH Madden.

Every post you've seen on the espn forum...I doub't you seen many if any at all that flat out said the game sucks. However, when Madden came out There threads everywhere saying how much of a dissappointment the game it is and how much it sucked. I personally don't think the game sucks but I can understand how some were very much disappointed in the game on many levels. Hell, most madden fans where looking for sliders before they even had the game because they KNOW how luaghable the gameplay is right out of the box based on previous editions.

Old 10-08-2003, 07:25 PM   #35
MVP

brahmagoul's Arena

OVR: 12

Here's my thoughts.

I bought Madden the day it came out and bought ESPN shortly after it came out. I sold Madden to my friend for $20. Why? For two reasons: 1. My friend loves Madden and couldn't afford to buy a new copy. 2. I've loved Madden but I thought it was time for a change.

Here's my big negative toward each game:

Madden: Last year people complained about the lack of defense. EA improved the defense but they did in a way that causes more turnovers. So, you have a lot of turnovers deep on the offense's side of the field, which results in quick scores the other way. I think the lack of D or less scoring we want to see are more 3-and-outs and the defense holding offenses to fourth down more than creating turnovers. That's something ESPN does.

ESPN: The kick returning, mainly punt returning, is the worst ever. I usually have to call fair catch. The punt coverage is too good in that they get to the returner while the ball's in the air still most of the time. Madden's kick/punt returning is easily the best ever.

Bottom line: I prefer ESPN this year because it's different and still is good. What's really the best football game this year? NCAA 2004!!! lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2003, 07:37 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 17

wow, i'm seriously starting to think ppl do not know how to play this game. alot of turnovers? high scores? lack of defense? what is it that ESPN does better than MADDEN aside from presentation?...
Old 10-08-2003, 08:00 PM   #37
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

I still think most espn football lovers love the game because it is something different! They are blown away by the presentation and they want espn to be the better game so they make themselves believe it is, which is fine to each him own. If you like playing espn better that is your choice more power to you, what ever makes you happy. I own both games and i loved espn at first but there are way to many gameplay issues for me to deal with, and that is my opinion and my choice not to play it too much. Again i really think most of the gamers out there that prefer espn like it because it is new and different from madden. No need for all you espn lovers no bash me now i have had enough of it over the last few weeks i am just stating my opinion. I can already hear it now "well your opinion sux!"
Old 10-08-2003, 10:42 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 6

Your post is not true.

I returned to Madden after I played ESPN for the most realistic franchise mode of the two. I have read countless others on this post who have done the same. Went over for the flash of Primetime and came back for the realism.

I may return to ESPN. But what kills me is this scenario. I am winning the superbowl by 2 points and it is late in the 4th, the cpu is driving to my 30. I stop them on 3rd down. A 47 yarder is expected and I am checking my timeouts knowing i need a fg to win. But wait...the cpu decides to punt or go for it from my 30. that experience , which i have encountered, killed espn for me.

I won two superbowls in two seasons (see above) with default pro sliders on espn. Is that fun? Of course you have to change sliders on all games. Each user has a different comfort level. some users may think out fo the box sliders are perfect.

I will state honestly that ESPN's franchise mode sucks in comparion to madden.

I doubt anyone laughed about the gameplay. i think they intelligently adjusted the sliders.

I admit Madden has it flaws but Kanobi all you do it complain about madden. didn't you give madden's gamplay a 7.0 rating and eson a 9.9. that shows most people that you are too biased (or stupid) to comment on madden. unless you really have played both games and can accept that both have flaws, both are fun and it is a user's preference as to which is best then please go to espn forums.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:45 PM   #39
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Whaaaazuuuuup said:
wow, i'm seriously starting to think ppl do not know how to play this game. alot of turnovers? high scores? lack of defense? what is it that ESPN does better than MADDEN aside from presentation?...

Do you REALLY want a list dude? Now, you said better, so when I break it down, I don't want ANYONE whining about me saying "Madden sucks" at these points.

1. Blocking - everything: mechanics, physics, animations, behavior. Lanes develope properly and at the right time. Pull blockers actually seal or kickout when appropriate. Look at that, a TRUE POCKET!
2. Zone coverage. What? Madden JUST THIS YEAR started to play zone more like real life - closer to what ESPN does - the zones in ESPN rotate properly. Defenders do proper drops. They'll make some bad decision on occasion, but looks like that's by design. Guys perform their responsibilities correctly.
3. Inside/outside technique MATTERS and is in the game for that matter.
4. Real combo coverages.
5. Deeper playbooks.
6. Ball physics - and you people REALLY do not want me to get too deep into this -
7. MUCH less Mario running. The originators of "getting skinny" in video games are the best at it.
8. Gang tackles that have a true to life game context. It's not just a pretty animation - a gang tackle means something in this game.
9. TRUE rhythm passing. If you don't know what that is and why it's cool, I really should just stop now then huh?
10. I have control of my guy. In BOTH games, you have times where you have no control - well that's life - if I stumble in real life, I can't go where I want to go, but in Madden, I'll get stuck on my blockers *** and it kills me. ESPN needs to kill that push the pile animation. It was cool at first, but now it's starting to annoy me.

Ten normally a good number to stop, but those are the highlights. That's just pure gameplay stuff. I haven't touch graphics, sound, animations, and other "little" stuff.

Now, I can give you a list of things that Madden does better, but I don't think they make the same impact. For franchise mode, now, that's a completely different story. Madden kills. But on the field, there's no contest.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:52 PM   #40
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

jake44np said:
I still think most espn football lovers love the game because it is something different! They are blown away by the presentation and they want espn to be the better game so they make themselves believe it is, which is fine to each him own.

And you can say the same thing about Madden fans. But it's cool that you have such insight to the motivations of so many people. I just love it people can make assumptions about other's motives. I can question Madden fans dislike for ESPN just like you question their enjoyment of ESPN:

"I think that Madden fans hate ESPN because it's different. They want to believe so badly that Madden is better so that they can justify overlooking all of it's flaws..." BLAH BLAH BLAH. Guys, state YOUR opinions and YOUR motivations, and leave it at that. It's really simple.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »