Home

Connected Careers Thoughts & Theories?

This is a discussion on Connected Careers Thoughts & Theories? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 13
Re: Connected Careers Thoughts & Theories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdawgpound
i heard on pastapadre it has to do with like crossing the paths between coach and nfl legends.

Amazon: Joe Gibbs and Lawrence Taylor
Gamestop: John Madden and Barry Sanders

They’ll now also be a part of the Connected Careers mode which was mentioned but only vaguely described earlier today. Interestingly a coach is being paired with a player suggesting more to the mode than just the simple Superstar setup or recreation of highlights from a legend’s playing days.

sounds me like its gonna let u use HOF players and coaches.
That'll be a huge disappointment if that's what it is. Another untouched feature from me. Just my preference, but playing with "legends" has never interested me in the slightest.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #18
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

An email I just got from from Amazon promoting M13-

"Customers who have shown an interest in sports games might like to know about "Madden NFL 13." Pre-order now and get Amazon exclusive access to Joe Gibbs and Lawrence Taylor for use in the Madden Ultimate Team and the all-new Connected Careers mode."

I guess it would be cool to start a franchise with a legendary coach but I'm really hoping its deeper than that. I would also assume from this that coaches are probably going to have a bigger effect on the actual team, than they have in the past.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
An email I just got from from Amazon promoting M13-

"Customers who have shown an interest in sports games might like to know about "Madden NFL 13." Pre-order now and get Amazon exclusive access to Joe Gibbs and Lawrence Taylor for use in the Madden Ultimate Team and the all-new Connected Careers mode."

I guess it would be cool to start a franchise with a legendary coach but I'm really hoping its deeper than that. I would also assume from this that coaches are probably going to have a bigger effect on the actual team, than they have in the past.
Reading that and remembering the Heisman Challenge thing for NCAA 13 has me thinking at least part of "connected" careers is about integrating your virtual career into the history of the real NFL. Everything you do in career mode is connected to what has taken place before in the NFL, virtually making it feel like everything that happens actually has an impact on writing the next chapter in the history of the NFL. So for example, if someone wins 4 Super Bowls it's no longer like it happened in some vacuum and the game will recognize the accomplishment by building some kind of story mode around it.

I remember Mike Young doing from this interview earlier this year.

Young admitted that the kind of soul he was looking for was "not there" in Madden. At least not yet. "We're making strides with the career modes, and you can put your face in the game, [but] Madden has been very dry; it's like a menu-based experience as far as the career modes go. Attaching yourself to any kind of identity was really near-impossible; it's all in your head."

"The thing that will make a sports-game dev "legend," Young said, was figuring out a way to blend what storytelling games do best with what sports games do best. "My favorite player," he said, "is Kurt Warner, and his story is so unrealistic that it seems like a cheesy Disney movie. But I'd love to give you a character like that — the long shot who makes the team, is the hero, and has a fall. From there we can almost sequel it and have episodes: his comeback, his being tossed aside for the new rookie. We could go through that whole world." The way most sports games have thus far tried to approximate this, Young said, is "an embarrassment. Sports games are given a pass on certain things. We're not expected to be at the quality bar of some of the other triple-A story or action titles" — and Young rightly views these games, and the experiences they offer, as direct competition to
Madden. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ing-madden-nfl

If done right, this could help someone like me have far more interest in a single player Franchise, something I could never get into before because it was too dull. If Madden 13 can bring that "story telling" aspect to life around my Redskins every year of a 30 year franchise, I will finally have that NFL immersion I have been thirsty for since 2004.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 15

I am really hoping that this would include a full integration of franchise mode on-line, like NCAA had. Now I am starting to believe that on-line franchise mode will not be touched again this year.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I am really hoping that this would include a full integration of franchise mode on-line, like NCAA had. Now I am starting to believe that on-line franchise mode will not be touched again this year.
I think May 7th for NCAA 13's Dynasty playbook will be telling because chances are "connected careers" will have some similarities to any story telling upgrades for dynasty. NCAA 12 already has a very basic version of story telling with it's headlines feature, so if they upgrade that, it will most likely be using a similar blueprint as the potential story telling of connected careers.

The point I am trying to make is if they can apply that tech to NCAA 13's dynasty, which is able to be played online, then it's possible the same thing could apply for Madden 13's franchise. Also, it's no secret they brought over Roy Harvey to work on Madden's franchise mode, touting his credentials as the architect for NCAA football's online dynasty.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 04-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 15

Porting franchise mode over to have on-line functionality would be huge for Madden. I wonder how difficult this is from a developer perspective...
Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #23
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I think May 7th for NCAA 13's Dynasty playbook will be telling because chances are "connected careers" will have some similarities to any story telling upgrades for dynasty. NCAA 12 already has a very basic version of story telling with it's headlines feature, so if they upgrade that, it will most likely be using a similar blueprint as the potential story telling of connected careers.

The point I am trying to make is if they can apply that tech to NCAA 13's dynasty, which is able to be played online, then it's possible the same thing could apply for Madden 13's franchise. Also, it's no secret they brought over Roy Harvey to work on Madden's franchise mode, touting his credentials as the architect for NCAA football's online dynasty.
I agree 100%, this year specifically most of the things mentioned in the NCAA Playbooks will more than likely be applied to M13. As far as Online Franchise goes I expect for it at a minimum to include everything in offline franchise mode.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
I agree 100%, this year specifically most of the things mentioned in the NCAA Playbooks will more than likely be applied to M13. As far as Online Franchise goes I expect for it at a minimum to include everything in offline franchise mode.
Quote in bold is all I care about... I don't give a rats behind about social crap, facebook and twitter poop!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »