Home

Is there a point to rounds 4-7 (in real life) in Madden?

This is a discussion on Is there a point to rounds 4-7 (in real life) in Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 13
Is there a point to rounds 4-7 (in real life) in Madden?

To clarify: I'm talking about the real life draft in the following years edition of Madden. Player ratings out of the box as Donny Moore decides they should be rated.

I don't think there's a point to them at all because the players they produce are typically useless. If they are a skill position, maybe you get lucky and get a guy with decent speed because he ran a good 40 time (though "the Czar" must not look at 40s in a lot of cases). Skill positions drafted that late might get a B or C potential, so you can play with them in franchise for a year or two. After that, worthless. And for the most part, any offensive lineman drafted 4-7 will have a low potential rating. Again, useless.

Guys who get drafted late are meant to be projects in the NFL - that development doesn't exist in Madden. Donny Moore will limit every last one of them with the stupid potential rating. Is there even a point for EA to watch the late rounds?

Last edited by Meast21Forever; 05-01-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Is there a point to rounds 4-7 (in real life) in Madden?

Since I rarely play anything other than single player franchise, what Donny thinks IMO is more like a guideline than a law. It may not be realistic but depending on what I see in preseason I anticipate my grades for the Cowboys late picks (specifically the WR and SS; their highlight films are amazing) will be higher than what's in the game, and I'm ok with that.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Banned

BestServedCold's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm hoping that they changed the way players developed this season
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Brandon Burton is a fifth round pick and has been rated as an A potential since Day 1 rosters I believe.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 10

I would love to see everyone have A or B potential, but other factors will help or prevent them from achieving it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 13

I know Donnie likes to select guys who he thinks might be good and make 1 or 2 gems per year, but still - I feel like I'm cheating the game when I edit my players based on scouting reports I've read in real life about them. I don't touch other teams, cause I'm not wasting my time with that. But it would be cool to see a guy like Danny Coale (who the Cowboys drafted this year) to make an impact year 5 in my franchise. But since he will most likely be a C potential with low speed, he'll likely be on a different team, if he signs on anywhere else at all. You know what I'm getting at?

Maybe I'm opening a can of worms. The potential thing just makes the last few rounds of the draft pointless.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

The way the rookies are rated in game makes every draft pointless. Every first round pick gets an A potential, no chance of a bust, and every pick thereafter is just based on media scouting reports. It would be great to have a system where every time you start a franchise that draft picks are assigned a random potential that isn't revealed until the season was over, but people would complain when their teams #4 overall pick at OLB who was a can't miss prospect in real life ended up just being an average to below-average player.

It's too bad the player base in Madden and the developers can't agree on a system that's realistic and mimics real life. The majority of the player base wants a system where ratings are dynamic and based on player performance, allowing any player to progress to an all pro level talent, and the developers want a system that imprisons players into a ceiling that they can never over-achieve.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10

No one person should have the power to decide ones potential. Its to much of a guessing game and doesnt allow for the Tom Brady's of the world to happen.

Theres players on my current 49ers team like Alex Boone and Daniel Kilgore who have such a bad potential that it makes no sense for me to keep them on my team to move there way up to start like they may do this year in real life.....its just a terrible system period.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »